• We hope all of you have a great holiday season and an incredible New Year. Thanks so much for being part of the Cycling News community!

Teams & Riders The Jonas Vingegaard is not Chris Harper thread

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The first time i hear his name was at the begining of 2018 when he beat the KOM of Coll de Rates (was Tejay previous record holder) at the Coloquick camp, he did like 13 minutes at 6,7 w/kg or something like that, not bad at all for a no pro rider at that time, this "achievement" was recorded in a video by the director of Coloquick.
Then I saw that Feltet web (previously cyclingquotes) and in particular the dane Emil Axegaard was always writing about him, about his monstruous VO2 Max and other values, being that the reason of the contract with Jumbo Visma, they were searching for other young riders more known but the test of Jonas was just supossedly mindblowing, he just had a lot of health issues during his U23 days (like a leg fracture in 2017 and also a concusion in 2018 the day after he won the Uphill TT of Vall de Aosta).

In 2019 I expected a lot from him because all the directors of Jumbo Visma talked about his great potential, he did nothing until the last stage of the Basque Country and one of the Hammer Series where he was flying up the climbs, but it was that stage in Poland that he won after throwing many kms for Tolhoek when I really saw that potential that they said so much, it was quite an exhibition by a neopro, for example if Remco or another young talent with the name was doing this, all the fans would have noticed much more , he was also very strong for his small physique in the Tour or in the flat TT of Denmark and in the small climbs of the "hard stages", being the strongest cyclist of these stages, but he was a bit wrong with the tactics and toughness in the parcours was also lacking for him.

So for 2020 and 2021 I was watching him closely and waiting for his real breakthrough, for me he was the real talent of the Jumbo Visma stage racers and not kuss, Foss or even Wout (just talking about GC), also because Roglic , Zeeman, Kuss and Niermann were talking for years that in practice and testing he was only second to Roglic in Jumbo since his first year in 2019, they called him Danysh Dynamite or some shitty nickname :sweatsmile:
In fact, at the 2021 Tour, I was texting daily with a cycling commentator who had also taken a lot of notice of Jonas and from the beginning I said he could do top 5 or podium, but somehow I have to admit it was more a wishful prediction than a real prediction.

But I understand that for most cycling fans it was someone quite unknown, because if I hadn't come across the Coll de Rates video by chance and all the stories on that Danish website that I usually only read for race previews obviously not have followed him so closely.

Last edited:
The first time i hear his name was at the begining of 2018 when he beat the KOM of Coll de Rates (was Tejay previous record holder) at the Coloquick camp, he did like 13 minutes at 6,7 w/kg or something like that, not bad at all for a no pro rider at that time, this "achievement" was recorded in a video by the director of Coloquick.
Then I saw that Feltet web (previously cyclingquotes) and in particular the dane Emil Axegaard was always writing about him, about his monstruous VO2 Max and other values, being that the reason of the contract with Jumbo Visma, they were searching for other young riders more known but the test of Jonas was just supossedly mindblowing, he just had a lot of health issues during his U23 days (like a leg fracture in 2017 and also a concusion in 2018 the day after he won the Uphill TT of Vall de Aosta).

In 2019 I expected a lot from him because all the directors of Jumbo Visma talked about his great potential, he did nothing until the last stage of the Basque Country and one of the Hammer Series where he was flying up the climbs, but it was that stage in Poland that he won after throwing many kms for Tolhoek when I really saw that potential that they said so much, it was quite an exhibition by a neopro, for example if Remco or another young talent with the name was doing this, all the fans would have noticed much more , he was also very strong for his small physique in the Tour or in the flat TT of Denmark and in the small climbs of the "hard stages", being the strongest cyclist of these races, but he was a bit wrong with the tactics and toughness was also lacking for him.

So for 2020 and 2021 I was watching him closely and waiting for his real breakthrough, for me he was the real talent of the Jumbo Visma stage racers and not kuss, Foss or even Wout (just talking about GC), also because Roglic , Zeeman, Kuss and Niermann were talking for years that in practice and testing he was only second to Roglic in Jumbo since his first year in 2019, they called him Danysh Dynamite or some shitty nickname :sweatsmile:
In fact, at the 2021 Tour, I was texting daily with a cycling commentator who had also taken a lot of notice of Jonas and from the beginning I said I could do top 5 or podium, but somehow I have to admit it was more. a wishful prediction than a real prediction.

But I understand that for most fast cycling fans it was someone quite unknown, because if I hadn't come across the Coll de Rates video by chance and all the stories on that Danish website that I usually only read for race previews What does Axegaard obviously not have followed him so closely.
Cool to hear from one of those people who translate the Feltet.dk previews. One correction, though; Feltet was first (it became an adult last year with its 18th birthday), then they launched CyclingQuotes but that wasn't financially viable, so they had to close it after around three years. Emil had basically been running that site by himself and when it was closed, he was brought over to Feltet to do live updates and previews which meant there was only regular articles to do for the rest of the staff.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
BlueRoads Professional Road Racing 164

ASK THE COMMUNITY