• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
He's doing his first Tour de France, so I can see why he want to focus 100% on that. I also understand if he doesn't want to be away from his wife and daughter for too long.

Sure this might be his best chance at an olympic medal during his career, but it't not like he would be one of the favourites anyway. He hasn't really proven himself as a great one-day racer just yet.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sure this might be his best chance at an olympic medal during his career, but it't not like he would be one of the favourites anyway. He hasn't really proven himself as a great one-day racer just yet.

The Olympics is a very different animal, due to the small team size, it's not like normal 1 day racing.

And sure, it's a small chance, but still the only chance, probably for his entire career, on a route that arguably suits him perfectly.

Last edited:
Yeah, he's had a great start to his maiden Tour, but it's not really a surprise that he's pretty good in this sort of terrain. The questions is for how long he will be able/allowed to contend the GC. He will (most likely, unless he suffers a problem during the ITT) be better placed than Kruijswijk going into the mountains, but probably be behind Van Aert, who we don't expect to be good enough to hold on to a top 10 finish. Although Kruijswijk do seem to have been steadily improving through the season, I still won't be surprised if he gets dropped on Col de Romme/Col de la Colombière or Tignes. So I hope, if needed, they use up Kruijswijk before Vingegaard, if they have to do work at the front, which they probably won't due to INEOS's superiority in that department, or if they want to make early attacks to put pressure on the other teams.

Yeah, he's had a great start to his maiden Tour, but it's not really a surprise that he's pretty good in this sort of terrain. The questions is for how long he will be able/allowed to contend the GC. He will (most likely, unless he suffers a problem during the ITT) be better placed than Kruijswijk going into the mountains, but probably be behind Van Aert, who we don't expect to be good enough to hold on to a top 10 finish. Although Kruijswijk do seem to have been steadily improving through the season, I still won't be surprised if he gets dropped on Col de Romme/Col de la Colombière or Tignes. So I hope, if needed, they use up Kruijswijk before Vingegaard, if they have to do work at the front, which they probably won't due to INEOS's superiority in that department, or if they want to make early attacks to put pressure on the other teams.

They will for sure want to keep Jonas as high as possible in GC, and maybe use him as a attacker so Pogacar's team or himself has to chase and Roglic can only follow wheels. I would even say that they will use Van Aert before Jonas, who should normally climb better.

They will for sure want to keep Jonas as high as possible in GC, and maybe use him as a attacker so Pogacar's team or himself has to chase and Roglic can only follow wheels. I would even say that they will use Van Aert before Jonas, who should normally climb better.

That is the most likely, yes. He has to have the legs for it himself though, cause being up there on harder mountain stages (not just unipuerto) and having to be deeply focused every single day for three weeks is stil uncharted territory for him.

I'm not writing Kruijswijk off yet, unless he is seriously injured. He's only 2:07 down, and even if that is 29th on GC right now, when we get into the tall mountains, that can quickly translate into 9th on a single stage, and from then on he is a contender again.

I do think they have changed the order of Kuss and Vingegaard though, as Kuss took a massive time loss and and injury, with the crash on stage 1.

Another thing is, that a smart team would keep BOTH Kruijswijk and Vingegaard up there in week 1, as it is in week 2 and especially week 3, that tactical options become important.

I wouldn't want to ditch Vingegaard on GC so easily as Roglic could well use some tactical leverage to play with. If he and Poggers are miles ahead of the rest it most likely won't matter, but I'd happily use Vingegaard to shadow an Ineos move and then see what Pogacar does.

TRENDING THREADS