• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah this should cause some rapid shifts in the Jumbo pecking order. Roglic/Dumoulin/Kruijswijk is no longer. Let's say Dumoulin is up in the air as a future GC rider, but the core of it should be Roglic/Vingegaard. Not sure if you want/need a third contender. But I would mostly let time decide if Dumoulin comes back to it or if Van Aert actually ends up going for it one day. Tbh I doubt both. Kuss is just not a GC threat and he's been nowhere this Tour. Kruijswijk is either aging out or just not good enough, it doesn't matter that much which, and Kruijswijk doesn't really have too many other upside/versatility to be super high value for the team.

think it should be Roglic/Vingegaard/Foss

Dumoulin depends on what he wants to do. I think if he wants to he can still have a really high GC level. Don't forget last years Tour he was 7th despite not being in great mental shape and having a saddle sore issue + being out for almost a year. But it's up to him obviously
Wielerflits to be in absolute shambles when they don't have a Dutch GC contender.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah this should cause some rapid shifts in the Jumbo pecking order. Roglic/Dumoulin/Kruijswijk is no longer. Let's say Dumoulin is up in the air as a future GC rider, but the core of it should be Roglic/Vingegaard. Not sure if you want/need a third contender. But I would mostly let time decide if Dumoulin comes back to it or if Van Aert actually ends up going for it one day. Tbh I doubt both. Kuss is just not a GC threat and he's been nowhere this Tour. Kruijswijk is either aging out or just not good enough, it doesn't matter that much which, and Kruijswijk doesn't really have too many other upside/versatility to be super high value for the team.
There is a substantial tactical advantage to be had from having a second guy in GC. So it would certainly make sense for them to have a number of riders they can put into play. There are more races than the TDF alone of course.

There is a substantial tactical advantage to be had from having a second guy in GC. So it would certainly make sense for them to have a number of riders they can put into play. There are more races than the TDF alone of course.
Yeah 2 is good. I haven't really seen 3 GC contenders work or be extra benefit? Maybe the old CSC in the 2008 Tour or 2009 Astana but in 2008 Andy Schleck was out of contention and in 2009 team tactics were purely against each other.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yeah 2 is good. I haven't really seen 3 GC contenders work or be extra benefit? Maybe the old CSC in the 2008 Tour or 2009 Astana but in 2008 Andy Schleck was out of contention and in 2009 team tactics were purely against each other.
I mean they need more than 2 GC guys, if they want to ride more than just the TDF. I'm not saying every GT will end like the 2020 Giro where some 3rd rate GC rider can win ;-)

I mean they need more than 2 GC guys, if they want to ride more than just the TDF. I'm not saying every GT will end like the 2020 Giro where some 3rd rate GC rider can win ;-)
For GTs ideally I think you have 2 who can be legit threats and one who can be more opportunistic or mix stage hunting/domestiquing and maybe a top 5 threat or something. I guess it's a bit of a wait to see how Foss develops.

For shorter stage races I'm more sure you can let riders like Kuss or Van Aert cover their share of them when they suit their characteristics.

Climbing depth in a team can be a little overrated IMO because in most situations one great domestique can be worth much more than a few okay ones. You don't often need 5 guys in a 40 rider group and it's much bigger to have 1 guy who can still ride a killer pace when there's 10 riders left.