• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 17 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yeah. Pretty much everybody said Pogi is unbeatable. Vingegaard is the only one that can beat him. Nobody even mentioned Rogla.

Now lets see if that is reality or not.

I do think Vingegaard will be the only one that'll be able to stay with Poggy on longer climbs whereas Roglic seems more likely to get dropped.
But, on shorter climbs Vingegaard will lose (boni?)seconds. In the crosswinds he might lose time (same can be true for Poggy considering his team), but especially the cobbles will be the death of Vingegaard's GC ambitions.

Eventhough he has a good team, his 60 kg's will have him bouncing all over the place whereas Poggy will follow the likes of MVP, WVA, Kristoff and so on and he might end up gaining minutes on Vingegaard.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I agree entirely with the above posts.

I think the Vingegaard hype is completely out of control. The Danish lobby in particular is working overtime pushing the narrative & they're going to get very noisy during the TdF if it comes down to 3 man battles on the climbs between Pog, Rog & Vinge.
I don’t follow any cycling media besides this forum but just from watching over the last year it looks like Vingegaard is at least a half step ahead. That’s nothing down on Roglic, but rather Vingegaard was clearly stronger in Dauphine and is definitely the better climber, and will lose only small time on TTs. Maybe I’m wrong but the odds were also favoring him over Roglic last time I checked.

I don’t follow any cycling media besides this forum but just from watching over the last year it looks like Vingegaard is at least a half step ahead. That’s nothing down on Roglic, but rather Vingegaard was clearly stronger in Dauphine and is definitely the better climber, and will lose only small time on TTs. Maybe I’m wrong but the odds were also favoring him over Roglic last time I checked.

Sure, the bookmakers followed the social media trend. Cycling analysts also fuelled the now accepted "Vinge is better than Rog" consensus as well.

But what's it really based on? The Dauphiné? Because Jonas didn't look so great in Tirreno & Itzulia. If we accept that final stage in the Dauphiné was Rog's definitive level, he still beat Vingegaard in the ITT a few days earlier. But I also think it's quite hasty to draw conclusions from a preparation race for the TdF itself.

I mean if we're talking about fully fit peak athletes here then Rog is a step above Vingegaard. I think a lot of the discussions right now are also conditioned by people who either dismiss the Vuelta or outright have never watched it.

The basic idea likely is to keep both of them in contention for as long as possible. Likely a rather hard thing to do on this Tour edition. As first couple of stages are just brutal in regards to GC. And at some point to result to numbers game. In such scenario there is in my opinion a possibility for Jonas to win overall. In much of the others scenarios i do feel that on this Tour edition Primož will still have the edge.

Sure, the bookmakers followed the social media trend. Cycling analysts also fuelled the now accepted "Vinge is better than Rog" consensus as well.

But what's it really based on? The Dauphiné? Because Jonas didn't look so great in Tirreno & Itzulia. If we accept that final stage in the Dauphiné was Rog's definitive level, he still beat Vingegaard in the ITT a few days earlier. But I also think it's quite hasty to draw conclusions from a preparation race for the TdF itself.

I mean if we're talking about fully fit peak athletes here then Rog is a step above Vingegaard. I think a lot of the discussions right now are also conditioned by people who either dismiss the Vuelta or outright have never watched it.
We don’t know how Roglic would’ve done at the Tour last year but Jonas was 2nd strongest and would’ve been even closer to Pog without domestique duties earlier in the race. That race and this year’s Dauphine are where I’m mostly drawing from, and since Dauphine was so recent I think it’s fair to say he’s strong right now. His other performances have been shoddy and inconsistent so there is of course some uncertainty.

I don't think Vingegaards spring matters that much. But I also think Ventoux last year was at least as much Pog having a really bad day as Vingegaard having ultramythical climbing legs. Ineos slow paced to protect a weak Carapaz, and Pogacar never tried to attack or had his team set the pace while the stage win was up for grabs, which he did on both MTFs in the Pyrenees.

Vingegaard can win the Tour, but at this point there's pretty little reason to think he has a bigger chance than Roglic.

Well, maybe in Denmark they like to listen to dopers, but I don't.

Besides being second last year for more than 5m, what has Vingo done to warrant this idea?

But Vingegaard has, in addition to his qualities, the advantage of youth. Just like Pogacar. Both are going to get better and better over the next few years. Certainly Thomas but also gradually Roglic are past their careerpeak. Their explosiveness and recovery capacity will deteriorate more and more. Bad days will become more frequent. It is not because Rasmussen has used doping in the past, that he does not have much knowledge of cycling. Many analysts and sports directors have themselves or are suspected of having used doping during their active careers. But in your opinion they shouldn't be allowed to give their opinion? Then hardly anyone is left. Luckily we still have someone like Elos Anjos to provide expert commentary.

I don't think Vingegaards spring matters that much. But I also think Ventoux last year was at least as much Pog having a really bad day as Vingegaard having ultramythical climbing legs. Ineos slow paced to protect a weak Carapaz, and Pogacar never tried to attack or had his team set the pace while the stage win was up for grabs, which he did on both MTFs in the Pyrenees.

Vingegaard can win the Tour, but at this point there's pretty little reason to think he has a bigger chance than Roglic.
He was clearly having a little less time then. But to say that he was having a very bad day is incorrect. Only Vingegaard was better that day uphill.

If it's Vingegaard time so be it. Said that dismissing Rogla that much is in my opinion a bit strange. That is if you are a serious pro road peloton commentator.

P.S. If you are a fan it's understandable.

I base my opinion entirely on Dauphiné where I had the feeling that Vingegaard was stronger then Roglic and Vingegaard seemed to be doing more of the work when it was just the 2 of them.
A bit longer ago, but in P-N Roglic wasn't as dominant as he was in other races and it hadn't been for half man half motorbike WVA, Yates would have won P-N.

Ofcourse it's perfectly possible that Roglic is still to reach his op form for this year and that he peaked towads the tour.

@Boes

But there was stage 7 at Dauphiné too. It looked similar to stage 8. In regards to Vingegaard looking out for Roglič and overall team dynamics. And it ended with a stomp. If Rogla would go all out on stage 8. Well. That wouldn't look good in my opinion.

Anyway. In my opinion they will try to keep both option open as long as possible. Vingegaard and Roglič did a comparable TT today on stage 1. Lets see where that takes one or the other.

@Boes

But there was stage 7 at Dauphiné too. It looked similar to stage 8. In regards to Vingegaard looking out for Roglič and overall team dynamics. And it ended with a stomp. If Rogla would go all out on stage 8. Well. That wouldn't look good in my opinion.

Anyway. In my opinion they will try to keep both option open as long as possible. Vingegaard and Roglič did a comparable TT today on stage 1. Lets see where that takes one or the other.
You should look again if you think stage 7 and 8 of the Dauphiné were similar

You should look again if you think stage 7 and 8 of the Dauphiné were similar

Or maybe you should look again what i wrote. At the end of stage 7 Vingegaard was looking back a lot. On where Roglič is. And was pushing it to the max. After that was done Roglič took over. On stage 8 there was no need for Roglič to add some extra. As he would be stomping Vingegaard. And in my opinion that would look bad.

Last edited:
StE6BoNEkdafrBge7KorLX-970-80.jpg.webp

TRENDING THREADS