• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Jonas Vingegaard: The Wizard of Visma

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which thread title(s) do you prefer? (you may submit your own)

• The Chicken who eats Riis for breakfast

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • When they go low, Vingo high

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Wings of Love

Votes: 8 8.3%
  • The Fishman Cometh

Votes: 14 14.6%
  • The Mysterious Vingegaard Society

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • Vingo Star

Votes: 15 15.6%
  • The Jonas Vingegaard Discussion Thread

Votes: 29 30.2%
  • Vingegaard vs Roglič

Votes: 6 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What is Jonas like on cobbles ??
Hes probably quite good at this very moment as he is everywhere else. Cross-winds, positining, technical TT's, small hills... sure, the team helps him a lot, but Im not worried at all when hes in this kinda shape. He looks little and fragile, but has turned out to be super well rounded and not just another one-dimensional climber. Also, Jonas comes from the northwestern Denmark and if you have ridden your bike up there all year around for the better part of your life, youre not afraid of bad roads, winds and rain. Thats for the tough men.

Hes probably quite good at this very moment as he is everywhere else. Cross-winds, positining, technical TT's, small hills... sure, the team helps him a lot, but Im not worried at all when hes in this kinda shape. He looks little and fragile, but has turned out to be super well rounded and not just another one-dimensional climber. Also, Jonas comes from the northwestern Denmark and if you have ridden your bike up there all year around for the better part of your life, youre not afraid of bad roads, winds and rain. Thats for the tough men.

When i see Jonas I see the hunger . what Sean Kelly talks about

I see him in the fish packing plant desperate to escape and now I see how badly he wants to win.......that means as much or more than the talent which he undoubtedly has

The real winner today. Gained undisputed GC leadership with Roglic losing time and having medical issues. Barely lost time VS Pogacar, who did a lot more work than Vingegaard.
Yes, and Roglic needs to attack the race a bit differently than he otherwise would have (more from afar) which can only be a positive.

BUT, the reason this happened was because Jonas panicked a bit. He said he just needed to put his chain on since he only dropped the chain, decided for a bike swap when Hoydonck offered it (???!!!), quickly went off that and got a spare bike from the car. That could have been handled a lot better.

Well now he probably learned

Yes, and Roglic needs to attack the race a bit differently than he otherwise would have (more from afar) which can only be a positive.

BUT, the reason this happened was because Jonas panicked a bit. He said he just needed to put his chain on since he only dropped the chain, decided for a bike swap when Hoydonck offered it (???!!!), quickly went off that and got a spare bike from the car. That could have been handled a lot better.

Well now he probably learned

Apparently that wasn't a bike offer at all, but a "hold my bike while I fix yours".

He just panicked.

I also did not see him help in the chase at all. But perhaps he was already happy he could follow WVA...

Anyway not a bad day for Jonas.

Reactions: inri2000
The real winner today. Gained undisputed GC leadership with Roglic losing time and having medical issues. Barely lost time VS Pogacar, who did a lot more work than Vingegaard.

lol, Vinge fans escalated real fast from begging for joint leadership ("two captains is good!") to demanding Jonas leadership even before today. This was simply the final nail in the coffin they wanted all along: sole leadership.

I don't know what they expect though. It's not like Roglic is going to carry Vingegaard's bottles for him.

"Sorry, my shoulder is busted huh, ask your friend Wout, he'll give you bottle... & a bike too, if you're tall enough to sit on the saddle"

• Haha
Reactions: acm and Krzysztof_O
Grab this opportunity with both hands. That would be my suggestion.

We were told the only "opportunity" was for Jumbo to attack Pogacar with two leaders. Were we lied to?

I don't think so. I think Vingegaard is in a way, way worse position this evening than he was this morning. The rest is just online fanboyism with people begging for their favorite rider to be 'leader' & rejoicing at that outcome.

We were told the only "opportunity" was for Jumbo to attack Pogacar with two leaders. Were we lied to?

I don't think so. I think Vingegaard is in a way, way worse position this evening than he was this morning. The rest is just online fanboyism with people begging for their favorite rider to be 'leader' & rejoicing at that outcome.
I'm not sure if you are painting me as a Vingegaard fanboy. While i have nothing against him, i'm not a fan of his racing style.

Roglic is still within striking distance, so if he has no physical issues after his crash, the roles will be reversed. Roglic will be the one who has to take the risk and attack. Vingegaard is the one that only has to follow and take advantage if the opportunity presents itself. So with Vingegaard losing virtually no time and having done zero work in the chase, i think he was the winner today.

I'm not sure if you are painting me as a Vingegaard fanboy. While i have nothing against him, i'm not a fan of his racing style.

Not you, obviously, i.e. your fanboy zone is an 'Remco Evenepoel exclusive' zone. But that's fine because I like Evenepoel as well.

No, I'm just referring to a very persistent online 'lobby' for Vingegaard (all over the internet) who're pretty much rejoicing at the outcome of yesterday.

Not only do I find the concept of declaring intra-team 'winners' after a butchery like that pretty gross, but I didn't even see Vingegaard take a turn on the front of his group either. Contrast that with Roglic who was (at least whenever the cameras showed them) pulling his own teammates.

What a cr*p stage.

No, I'm just referring to a very persistent online 'lobby' for Vingegaard (all over the internet) who're pretty much rejoicing at the outcome of yesterday.
Can you give a couple of examples of this? I haven't seen this at all. Not even here in Denmark, where the general consensus seems to be that it was a shame that Roglic lost time.

Edit: By "general consensus" I mean the few articles I've read, and the few people I've talked to. Obviously I don't know what most people are thinking, but I haven't seen any rejoicing anywhere.

Roglic is still within striking distance, so if he has no physical issues after his crash, the roles will be reversed. Roglic will be the one who has to take the risk and attack. Vingegaard is the one that only has to follow and take advantage if the opportunity presents itself. So with Vingegaard losing virtually no time and having done zero work in the chase, i think he was the winner today.

Not sure I’d class Vingegaard as a winner from yesterday. He is likely stronger than Roglic in the very high mountains in any event where the road always dictated the leader.

He’s lost further time to Pogacar who stomped his authority. Thought Vingegaard would finish second and still think he will but his best shot of actually winning (a long shot in any event) would have been to have kept Roglic as close as possible in GC.

Reactions: inri2000
Yeah, whatever fits your narrative, Rackham. Of course there's some Vingegaard fans delighted about yesterdays outcome, but to call it a "lobby all over the internet" is quite a stretch. Personally I think the race would benefit from having two Jumbo guys fit and close to Pogacar, so yesterdays result didn't feel like a win in any way (it never does, when it's bad luck and not bad legs deciding races).

Not you, obviously, i.e. your fanboy zone is an 'Remco Evenepoel exclusive' zone. But that's fine because I like Evenepoel as well.

Not only do I find the concept of declaring intra-team 'winners' after a butchery like that pretty gross, but I didn't even see Vingegaard take a turn on the front of his group either. Contrast that with Roglic who was (at least whenever the cameras showed them) pulling his own teammates.

What a cr*p stage.

You forgot about van Wilder.

Yeah, whatever fits your narrative, Rackham. Of course there's some Vingegaard fans delighted about yesterdays outcome, but to call it a "lobby all over the internet" is quite a stretch. Personally I think the race would benefit from having two Jumbo guys fit and close to Pogacar, so yesterdays result didn't feel like a win in any way (it never does, when it's bad luck and not bad legs deciding races).
Where are these "delighted" Vingegaard fans? I don't see them in this thread, nor anywhere else. Everyone I've encountered seems to think this was a bad day that could easily have gone even worse.

Where are these "delighted" Vingegaard fans? I don't see them in this thread, nor anywhere else. Everyone I've encountered seems to think this was a bad day that could easily have gone even worse.
I'm sure there's some (after all Rackham wouldn't just make it up, would he?) - often it's those "tour-only" fans with nationalistic eyes, not seing the bigger picture. But how they apparently became an internet-wide lobby according to Rackham is difficult for me to see.

It's quite disingenuous to pretend there isn't a sizeable chunk of comments on social media from people who believe yesterday was (at least) a good result because Vinge became clear leader.

What do you want me to do? Repost comments from youtube, Twitter & online forums? Or how about former pros like Rasmussen (the infamous chicken) who was militating for Jonas to have leadership just last week.

It's all there.

I'm sure there's some (after all Rackham wouldn't just make it up, would he?) - often it's those "tour-only" fans with nationalistic eyes, not seing the bigger picture. But how they apparently became an internet-wide lobby according to Rackham is difficult for me to see.

It depends on how you exaggerate the 'internet wide lobby' comment just to minimize my point.

If you want to compare cycling comments to more important stuff going on in the world, then yes, it could be said it's incongruous to post 'internet wide lobby' when we're merely talking about the TdF. But within context of the cycling world bubble, sure, there's loads of people who wanted Vinge as sole leader & Rog to work for him.

I don't see why a debate over semantics should exist in this instance.

Reactions: acm
It's quite disingenuous to pretend there isn't a sizeable chunk of comments on social media from people who believe yesterday was (at least) a good result because Vinge became clear leader.

What do you want me to do? Repost comments from youtube, Twitter & online forums?
If you're talking about random danes, who don't follow cycling at all except for the Tour, who are just blindly, nationalistically, cheering for Vingegaard, you're probably right that they exist, but why do you care about them? Of course they are always going to exist. Among people who actually follow cycling a little more closely, I have yet to see anyone with that opinion.

Or how about former pros like Rasmussen (the infamous chicken) who was militating for Jonas to have leadership just last week.

It's all there.
Did he? Where?

TRENDING THREADS