• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 76 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Great race from Brand. She is genuinely a really good climber - you don't get to be 4th in the Giro without some capability in the mountains - but because she isn't explosive on the punchy stuff that sometimes gets overlooked. She hasn't had a mountains performance like this for some time as she's focused more on CX too, but clearly that skill never left her.

Strong race from Chapman too, I thought - as, looking at the prediction game, did many others - that Évita Muzic was the obvious leader for FDJ here but she clearly didn't have the form and Chapman was one of a few who really stood out to me on the climb outperforming expectations - I know that Brodie is a good climber but I wouldn't have pegged her to beat Rooijakkers, Magnaldi and Koppenburg here (although once it was a sprint between those it was clear she would be favourite in that). Floortje Mackaij also climbed really well, I thought, I thought this would be a little too far for her as a climb and that those of LBL are around her threshold but clearly she has a bit more versatility for the longer climbs. Great battle with Faulkner fighting back but to be honest, with only 4 seconds between them, as soon as she couldn't drop Brand it was over; you'd back Lucinda in the two-up and although Faulkner is only three years younger than Brand, with her being a late convert to the sport the difference in experience is huge in comparison.

Also a good showing for Hitec from young Ingvild Gåskjenn, she was 11th on Black Mountain in the Women's Tour and now 9th here on a similar length but steeper climb, I'd kind of thought of her as doing best in stages that were hilly enough to drop elite sprinters but she had had precious little opportunity to show this kind of climbing ability before.

ASO have revealed plans to hold a women's Tour de l'Avenir next year. That's a fine step towards getting a working U23 calendar.

I've previously posted the National Federations need to be spending more money to get more girls/women into the sport so that the quality of rider matches the quality of the calendar - Also targetting mature women from other sports has been a fertile recruiting ground in the last few years.

Wiebes defending a 20" lead over Ellen van Dijk in a short TT later. Little Miss Contract Law has done a RideLondon against this field in the Baloise Ladies Tour, winning every road stage, one even with a time gap. Your money has to be on Ellen to take the lead, but can she do it by enough to prevent Lorena taking the jersey back with time bonuses in the final stage tomorrow?

TRENDING THREADS