• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The Woman's Road Race at the Commonwealth Games is currently live on BBC1
Clipboard.png

-- its a circuit around Warwick.
https://easycatchup.eu/watch.php?stream=bbc-one-scotland
Update: they've since switched to athletics

Last edited:
Not sure who the commentary team is, but the main commentator talks about Anna Henderson a lot but still less than Marty, and the analyst (Boardman maybe?) just slating the course saying the organisers had a lot of options to do something interesting in the area but the course isn't offering anything by way of obstacles. Hopefully the small field helps, kind of hoping for Grace Brown because that means some key decisions to be made behind.

Edit: and the cameras miss the move, suddenly we have a very strong move with Henderson, Shackley, Roseman-Gannon, Fisher-Black and Jackson.

Last edited:
Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Not sure who the commentary team is, but the main commentator talks about Anna Henderson a lot but still less than Marty, and the analyst (Boardman maybe?) just slating the course saying the organisers had a lot of options to do something interesting in the area but the course isn't offering anything by way of obstacles. Hopefully the small field helps, kind of hoping for Grace Brown because that means some key decisions to be made behind.

Edit: and the cameras miss the move, suddenly we have a very strong move with Henderson, Shackley, Roseman-Gannon, Fisher-Black and Jackson.

I thought you were talking about the Pyrenee race...

Not only is Marty not commentating that race (it's new Dani and Been/very boring Danish guy, who made me switch to TV2 on the stages he was doing in the TdFF, and Trine Schmidt, I think), Henderson is not riding it either (though that might not have stopped Marty from mentioning it, if he were on duty).

That was the first race I thought of when reading about a lesser known women's race.
Didn't know the guy commentating the Pyrenee race had been doing TdFF for ES; Tv2 is always my first choice. Dunno where Schmidt is today, though. Don't think it's her commentating Vårgårda...

It was a boring course and undeserving of it's status as a Commonwealth Games Gold Medal - At least, Australia realised that Baker is the fastest sprinter and rode accordingly - The men's edition could be more interesting - Have my doubts about Cavendish's squad keeping it together while yesterday Ewan withdrew from the race.

Yeah, terrible parcours. Was hoping Teniel Campbell would get into the frame and she might have done with a clearer path in the sprint.

I can understand them not wanting too selective a race but they could have found some hills, by going out towards Dudley perhaps.

Simon Brotherton and Chris Boardman.

Vårgårda ends with a four woman breakaway holding off the bunch, and the end was, well, pretty predictable. The group consisted of Valerie Demey, Audrey Cordon-Ragot, Pfeiffer Georgi and Eddy Merckx. It went about as you would expect.

Pfeiffer was sitting on because, well, DSM are obviously playing the Lorena Wiebes card. The others were keen to work, Vos because she was obviously going to win from that group, Demey because it would be a breakout kind of result for her, and Cordon-Ragot because she doesn't get to race for herself often and a World Tour podium doesn't come along too frequently for her. Then for reasons unbeknownst to all but Pfeiffer herself and the team car, Georgi decided to take up the front with a kilometre to go, once it was clear the break would stay away, and swung from side to side as though she was expecting an elite finisher as experienced as Vos to come through. Cordon-Ragot then opened up the sprint too early, which again played into Vos' hands but I think Audrey knew racing for 2nd was the best she could hope for, and going through that double bend she could at least make it harder for Marianne to come around her. She maximised her chances and got a great result with the 2nd place, while Georgi held on for third as Demey struggled to hold on at the end.

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Yeah, terrible parcours. Was hoping Teniel Campbell would get into the frame and she might have done with a clearer path in the sprint.

I can understand them not wanting too selective a race but they could have found some hills, by going out towards Dudley perhaps.
The race are based in Warwick, with a 17 k circuit.
When you have international games races it is always difficult due to the vastly differing abilities, that said the duo from Belize were off the back after just a few minutes.
Road racing is a harsh sport and perhaps the hardest to accomodate.

The guy who ran 17 plus minutes in the athletics 5000 metres just got repeatedly lapped and cheered by the crowd finishing with a smile.

I doubt that Wiebes will be happy with Pfeiffer Georgi because my eyes showed Pfeiffer initiating the breakaway - Of course the tactically astute VOS jumped on the move and the rest is history.

The Tour of the Pyrenees finished being a contest after stage two when a break of five was allowed to win by 4+ minutes in a 76km stage which had 91 metres of elevation. Doubel-Hickock will never achieve an easier GC victory.

LOL, what a ridiculous decision - but congratulations to Audrey Cordon-Ragot for her first WWT victory!!!!!

I believe this is in fact Audrey's first ever pro win outside France - she's won stages of the Route de France, the Tour de Brétagne, the Tour de l'Ardêche and other small stage races, the Chrono des Nations and several national titles in both the TT and the RR, but she's never, as far as I can see, won a race outside l'Hexagone before.

LOL, what a ridiculous decision - but congratulations to Audrey Cordon-Ragot for her first WWT victory!!!!!

I believe this is in fact Audrey's first ever pro win outside France - she's won stages of the Route de France, the Tour de Brétagne, the Tour de l'Ardêche and other small stage races, the Chrono des Nations and several national titles in both the TT and the RR, but she's never, as far as I can see, won a race outside l'Hexagone before.

She's also won the 2019 edition of Drentse Acht van Westerveld.

She's also won the 2019 edition of Drentse Acht van Westerveld.
Good spot, it's a .2 race but it's still a pro event.

Vuelta a Colombia starts this week. I note with some dismay that after last year they've decided not to put any major mountains in it, I assume that's so that Lilibeth Chacón doesn't completely obliterate the field like she did last year again, winning both MTFs pretty decisively and without really breaking a sweat on the Boquerón de Chipaqué (northwest side, so the easier side admittedly) either. I know she had a go at some Euro races back a decade ago with Bizkaia-Durango and did the Giro for SC Michela Fanini in 2018, but the Spanish women's scene was in far worse shape then than now and the Fanini team was in the process of collapsing at that point, so I don't think those performances can really be considered representative, and if the calendar is going to throw more mountainous races at the péloton, there are worse wildcard pickups to try, she's still only 30 and clearly and comfortably the best climber racing in Latin America.

TRENDING THREADS