• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 82 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Anyone know what's going on with the broadcast of the Simac Ladies Tour? For example, GCN didn't archive Stage 1 or Stage 4. Jose Been mentioned something about no images available for Stage 1... for both stages, I see brief reports on L1. Stages 2 and 3 had a lot of garbled audio from the host broadcaster, too.

I don't know why the situation is so bad. There were no problems last year.
And now Discovery/GCN/ES has decided not to show the last stages on their platforms.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Good little attack from Bredewold and Gasparinni at the end of the final stage of the Simac Ladies Tour.

Also interesting a couple of teams having riders who didn't finish the race fiielding those same riders in the GP Beerens today. It does seem to be a common occurance though this weekend as Stewart and Woods didn't finish the Vuelta but have since both started the Tour of Britain.

The Tour Cycliste Féminin International de l'Ardèche began today, with Sheyla Gutierrez winning the first stage. With pretty much everyone and their grandmother doing the Vuelta Challenge, the start list is not great this year, but that also adds to the uncertainty of who'll actually win the race.

Paula Patiño and Ricarda Bauernfeind are probably the biggest favourites on paper, but I wouldn't put money on them just yet. Stages 6 and 7 will have some kind of live stream, but it didn't work awfully well for them on the last stage in 2021.

Reactions: yaco
DNA Pro Cycling have a couple of decent contenders in Diana Carolina Peñuela and Anet Barrera if they can capture any of their America Tour form in Europe. I also have half an eye on Aranza Villalón after her performances in Colombia last year, she's in her first year in Europe and has been OK but unspectacular, but usually in a weak team in a stronger field than this. I also might just like her champions' jersey, lol.

DNA Pro Cycling have a couple of decent contenders in Diana Carolina Peñuela and Anet Barrera if they can capture any of their America Tour form in Europe. I also have half an eye on Aranza Villalón after her performances in Colombia last year, she's in her first year in Europe and has been OK but unspectacular, but usually in a weak team in a stronger field than this. I also might just like her champions' jersey, lol.

They will at least have a chance to finish in the top 10 in this field, but we'll have to see if they can get closer to the win than that. Nadine Gill also looked like someone who could be competitive here, but she lost 12 minutes today, so it will be all bout Claire Steels for Soplela.

Someone I would have loved to see in this race is Kim Cadzow, who had a breakthrough in the Ventoux Challenge, but she broke her collarbone in one of the small Belgian races and won't return to Europe again this year. She has hinted that she might have a bigger contract for 2023, but nothing has been announced yet.

Sheyla doubled up in the Ardêche, so it's a pretty good day for Movistar all told, with Mas being given a free place in the Vuelta, Serrano and Gutiérrez both winning. This time it was more or less a bunch sprint, although there was a crash in the run-in that took a few people out. Gill DNSed so there's one of Samu's outsider picks gone I'm afraid.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Sheyla doubled up in the Ardêche, so it's a pretty good day for Movistar all told, with Mas being given a free place in the Vuelta, Serrano and Gutiérrez both winning. This time it was more or less a bunch sprint, although there was a crash in the run-in that took a few people out. Gill DNSed so there's one of Samu's outsider picks gone I'm afraid.

Well Gill wasn't going to win anyway, but it might hurt Steels' chances that she isn't in the race anymore.

But aren't U23 riders classified as seniors? The talk is often about the move from juniors to seniors, even to people would logically be U23 riders for the first few years, at least I have never heard of anyone being 18, and then celebrating their 23rd birthday. Also, U23 riders can be pros, and quite frequently are - especially among the women.

Sure, but it raises the question about what they would have called it if it had been for elite riders of all ages. The Watersley Female Bonanza?

• Haha
Reactions: RedheadDane
The three age groups: Ladies, Women, Females.

At least somewhere in the Netherlands.

Loes Adegeest took a well deserved first pro win on stage 3 in Ardèche, after what seems to have been a masterpiece by IBCT, who also had Megan Armitage in a lead group of four.

Bauernfeind is in pole position, but Emma Langley shouldn't be underestimated after her great work for Doebel-Hickok in the Tour des Pyrénées. Adegeest shouldn't be written off either, but I have no idea about her level on the sort of climbs that are coming up.

Bauernfeind idn't start today, because she's headng to Australia, but that just meant that Antonia Niedermaier had to the job instead. Seems like everyone is getting their maiden UCI win this month.

The new GC: