• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 29 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Deleted the incorrect placings - this appears correct.

EOX1b5xXkAELjcf

It's a disappointing parcours provided by the organisers - You can nail Hosking on for two stages and possibly three - It's not beyond the realms of possibility that if Hosking wins three stages and holds on in stage 3 that she could win the GC.

I enjoyed the Santos Women's Tour Down Under from start to finish. It was great to see such comprehensive and quality coverage, and the racing was excellent. The (potential) 19 seconds on offer on the last stage/criterium may be not to everyone's liking, but it certainly made for edge-of-the-seat viewing!

So... I got to thinking (dangerous, I know), and got to realise that those ladies have a terrible habit of changing their names, so I figured I'd made a rundown:

• As already discussed, Lotta Lepistö is now Lotta Henttala.
  • Chantal Blaak is now Chantal van den Broek-Blaak. Though, Dolmans just refer to her as 'van den Broek'.
  • Finally, according to PCS Shara Gillow is now Shara Marche. However, she's still listed as 'Gillow' on the team's social media, so I'm not sure if the name change is actually correct.
  • Edit; I forgot that Lucy Garner of course is now Lucy van der Haar.

Last edited:
Too bad about the impact of the weather on the coverage of the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race, but certainly a deserving winner. I see there's coverage on GCN of at least the upcoming Jayco Herald Sun Tour, at least on the men's side. Hopefully they'll cover the two-day women's version as well.

It's listed on Eurosport Player as well. Though, I'm not sure I'll watch it, or the men's race. Maybe I should consider actually sleeping during the night from now on, and now day-time* (road) cycling is starting as well.
Yeah, it was a shame about the weather-affected coverage at the CEGORR, but imagine what it would have been like if we hadn't had McEwan on hand to act as a camera man.

*That is, day-time from a European perspective.

There is the somewhat limited coverage in highlight form at least.

Great to see Liane win (also liked the commentator correcting himself, describing her as having 'stolen' the race by stealing a march on both the sprintier riders expected to fight it, and the strong climbers and home favourites like Spratt who were anticipated to be active - and indeed they were - before correcting himself to her having 'owned' the race, since she made the attack on the decisive QOM climb and nobody could respond. She seems to be coming into her own on puncheuse terrain. She obviously struggled in Britain last year on the longer Epynt climb and there isn't too much of a body of work for her in the mountains (she did the 2018 Giro but not the 2019 edition) but what we have suggests she's one for the shorter climbs, but if she carries this form into the European season she could well be a real challenger. A shame for her that Lorena Wiebes exists, as that limits her chances of taking a WWT U23 title, but she will at least get a day in the WWT overall leader's jersey...

Lippert my selection before the race rode a strong race but the crash with 25kms to go affected how the race would play out - When Mitchelton Scott lose 5 riders and Trek lose 4 riders then it severely limits their options - Reckon Lippert is every chance to win a stage at the Giro in 2020.

Follow up to my previous post - Mitchelton Scott lost three riders from the crash at the Cadel Evans race for the Sun Tour, so had to draft in Roy who is recovering from injury and not in shape to make up the minimum four riders while it's worse for Rally who has to withdraw from the Tour because of injuries suffered in the Cadel Evans race.

Lippert my selection before the race rode a strong race but the crash with 25kms to go affected how the race would play out - When Mitchelton Scott lose 5 riders and Trek lose 4 riders then it severely limits their options - Reckon Lippert is every chance to win a stage at the Giro in 2020.
Given they haven't changed the awful course, she should probably be the German leader in Tokyo. If they'd done something about the course it would probably be Koppenburg.

TRENDING THREADS