• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 60 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The first UCI stage race of the season, the Setmana Ciclista Valenciana, starts today. There is 37 km left of stgae 1 and Erica Magnaldi has a lead of around a minute over the peloton.

There are live pictures coming up through this link: https://www.apuntmedia.es/directe/volta-comunitat-valenciana-femines_136_1489646.html

Startlist: https://firstcycling.com/race.php?r=9189&y=2022&k=8#race

Le Col–Wahoo (formerly Drops) has had to drop out due to Covid cases, and the same sadly goes for Lizzy Banks, who was scheduled to do her first race post injury.

2022_9189_1.png

2022_9189_2.png

2022_9189_3.png

2022_9189_4.png

Last edited:
I prefer to see this as an improvement in Cille and Kasia's sprinting skills.

Yes. It definitely didn't have anything to do with AVV choosing to follow Van Dijk's wheel.
BTw, great to see Van Dijk back to a strong level following her crash in Roubaix. The same goes for Koppenburg, who missed all races after the Giro last year. And with her history in this race, it will be quite interesting to see what she can do on the MTF on Saturday.

Balsamo got dropped on the cat. 1 climb in the beginning of the stage and won't feature in today's final.
Niewiadoma, Labous, Van Anrooij and Le Net was at the front for a while, but it seems that the latter three have been replaced by Mackaij and Chapman now. The new trio has about 20 seconds with 31 km left. UAE and BEX are working in the peloton behind.

Livestream:

There was a bit of a gap behind Van Vleuten, but it was apparently not enough to be credited.

01 Ellen Van DijkTrek-Segafredo
03:20:47​
16​
02 Soraya Paladin CANYON//SRAM Racing
+ 00​
12​
03 Marta BastianelliUAE Team ADQ
+ 03​
8​
04 Annemiek van VleutenMovistar Team
+ 03​
6​
05 Silvia Zanardi BePink
+ 03​
5​
06 Mavi GarciaUAE Team ADQ
+ 03​
4​
07 Nadia QuagliottoBePink
+ 03​
3​
08 Marta CavalliFDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine-Futuroscope
+ 03​
2​
09 Cecilie Uttrup LudwigFDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine-Futuroscope
+ 03​
10 Elisa Longo BorghiniTrek-Segafredo
+ 03​
11 Noemi RüeggTeam Jumbo-Visma
+ 03​
12 Katrine AalerudMovistar Team
+ 03​
13 Ane SantestebanTeam BikeExchange-Jayco
+ 03​
14 Juliette LabousTeam DSM
+ 03​
15 Joscelin LowdenUno-X Pro Cycling Team
+ 03​
16 Camilla AlessioCeratizit-WNT Pro Cycling
+ 03​
17 Grace BrownFDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine-Futuroscope
+ 03​
18 Georgia BakerTeam BikeExchange-Jayco
+ 03​
19 Clara KoppenburgCofidis Women Team
+ 03​
20 Eugenia BujakUAE Team ADQ
+ 03​
21 Veronica EwersEF Education-TIBCO-SVB
+ 03​
22 Hanna NilssonCeratizit-WNT Pro Cycling
+ 03​
23 Sarah RoyCANYON//SRAM Racing
+ 03​
24 Floortje MackaijTeam DSM
+ 03​
25 Shirin van AnrooijTrek-Segafredo
+ 03​
26 Victorie GuilmanFDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine-Futuroscope
+ 03​
27 Omer ShapiraEF Education-TIBCO-SVB
+ 03​
28 Barbara MalcottiHuman Powered Health
+ 03​
29 Alice Maria ArzuffiValcar-Travel & Service
+ 03​
30 Spela KernMassi Tactic Women's Team
+ 03​
31 Brodie ChapmanFDJ-Nouvelle Aquitaine-Futuroscope
+ 03​
32 Erica Magnaldi UAE Team ADQ
+ 03​
33 Alena AmialiusikCANYON//SRAM Racing
+ 03​
34 Elise ChabbeyCANYON//SRAM Racing
+ 03​
35 Katarzyna Niewiadoma CANYON//SRAM Racing
+ 03​
36 Alexandra ManlyTeam BikeExchange-Jayco
+ 03​

Balsamo got dropped on the cat. 1 climb ...
At first glance I read that punctuation as a full stop rather than indication of an abbreviation.
"What sort of idiom has been translated literally here?" I wondered. I lived in South America for a couple of years, but never came across 'dejarle caer a alguien sobre el gato' (Is Samu Spanish?), nor could I guess what it might imply.

But I am now determined to find an application for the phrase and use it liberally until it becomes an established part of the language.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Samu Cuenca
At first glance I read that punctuation as a full stop rather than indication of an abbreviation.
"What sort of idiom has been translated literally here?, I wondered. I lived in Latin America for a couple of years, but never came across 'dejarle caer a alguien sobre el gato' (Is Samu Spanish?), nor could I guess what it might imply.

But I am now determined to find an application for the phrase and use it liberally until it becomes an established part of the language.

I guess it could be used to describe a very sticky situation, a major bombshell of some sort or perhaps a point of no return.

Van Vleuten attacked on Alto Collao, and only Cavalli, CUL and García were able to follow her. Santesteban tried to go along, but was dropped in the end. AVV has now dropped the others as well and has a lead of about 25 seconds.
Spanish TV are relying on heli shots only, apart from when they suddenly switch back to pictures from earlier in the day.

I actually thought about that when I read the news. I feel for you and the others. On the other hand, I do think that the new maternity leave for women's cycling is a good thing and will help the women's side.

I wonder if the next logical step will be for teams to provide some sort of child-care, especially for those riders whose partners are also pros. I could be wrong, but I sure don't think it has been a hindrance for Lizzie Deignan that her husband retired, and became a "house husband", of course his career was nearing its end anyway, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that at least part of the reason for his retirement was that they couldn't both be pro cyclist, with all what that entails of travelling.

Reactions: Koronin
I wonder if the next logical step will be for teams to provide some sort of child-care, especially for those riders whose partners are also pros. I could be wrong, but I sure don't think it has been a hindrance for Lizzie Deignan that her husband retired, and became a "house husband", of course his career was nearing its end anyway, but I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere that at least part of the reason for his retirement was that they couldn't both be pro cyclist, with all what that entails of travelling.

Good point. Maybe instead of teams doing it individually, they do it as a group?

Reactions: RedheadDane

TRENDING THREADS