• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Very good for Cavalli, though a bit of a shame we saw a couple of potential contenders in Cille and Kasia removed from the startlist late on, so it isn't quite as clear a benchmark as to where she is against the known quantities among the elite climbers (although Cille has been out for a while so might not have been representative, notwithstanding that Cavalli is of course her teammate). Harvey also DNSed, would have been good to get a feel for where she is when off the leash, she was of course 5th in the Giro in 2020 and looked really good on the steep stuff then, but hasn't really replicated that since the move to Canyon, and with Kasia not taking the start she could have had a free role since both her and Chabbey showed good form in the UK. The aforementioned Chabbey, and Rooijakkers, give us a good indication however, while Clara Koppenburg tends to be stronger the steeper things get so the finale was probably good for her, although the overall climb is a bit on the long side for her best results to date.

Another strong showing for Évita Muzic here too, with her and Labous doing so well in Burgos and then Évita following up with her results in the Alps, we could be in for some good TDFF routes in coming years for those hoping to see a redressing of the balance in parcours in women's cycling and an increase in the climbing mileage.

Reactions: Lui98

Omloop and TdS are alright, and it's okay that TDU gets its ranking back.I forgot it never actually held WWT status, but I still think it's fine if they get it. But the almost non-existing ProSeries would look a lot worse with these changes, and there might be too many WWT races as well in this scenario.

UAE Tour was probably always unavoidable, but if it's in February then at least there aren't a lot of other road races around that time.

If it's true that Ride London has a deal with BBC for next year, then I doubt they'll be relegated.

Last edited:
I am interested in how many WT teams travel to Australia for the TDU and the Cadel Evans race, seeing that attending WT events is still optional - You have a nice block of racing in OZ, if you add the Herald Sun Tour combined with good training conditions then you can spend 4 to 6 weeks in OZ.

Omloop and TdS are alright, and it's okay that TDU gets its ranking back.I forgot it never actually held WWT status, but I still think it's fine if they get it. But the almost non-existing ProSeries would look a lot worse with these changes, and there might be too many WWT races as well in this scenario.

UAE Tour was probably always unavoidable, but if it's in February then at least there aren't a lot of other road races around that time.

If it's true that Ride London has a deal with BBC for next year, then I doubt they'll be relegated.
They have been relegated for the 2023 season but will be able to get it back (in 2024) if they provide evidence they've made an effort to get live coverage next year for all the stages.

They have been relegated for the 2023 season but will be able to get it back (in 2024) if they provide evidence they've made an effort to get live coverage next year for all the stages.

the problem is the definition of live coverage is increasingly flexible, Im sure the Beeb deal would only have been for their Red Button coverage where they chuck alot of live sport coverage, so its technically there, but its not on like BBC1/BBC2 main channels live for 3 stages.

And if they cannot claim that it is a top division race, getting live coverage on their free to air main broadcast channels is an even bigger ask.
Outside of the Tour de France and the World Championships, no race has live free broadcasting in the UK: are they really making it a requirement that a 2.Pro women's race secures that to be able to regain WWT status?

I think it's interesting that they can get the status back if they show "efforts" to obtain live broadcasting. Not live broadcasting, but just efforts. Reeks of exceptionalism, especially considering the Women's Tour got to retain its WWT status despite failing the broadcasting requirement when the Giro got downgraded. The RideLondon race doesn't really merit or even need WWT status. It's always had a pretty good prize pot that was good to guarantee a decent field at least among the sprinters, and frankly the only thing the stage race version had over the Tour of Chongming Island was that riders didn't have to fly across the world for it.

I assume that they don't need to have free-to-air full live coverage, because there's plenty of races who have their coverage but only via Eurosport/GCN or similar, including the Women's Tour, but it's just that I suspect in this case the BBC is wanting to retain some level of rights to it in that it's part of, albeit only tangentially now, the Olympic 2012 legacy program they've been running in the UK, but the race even as a WWT race doesn't really merit full live coverage in primetime on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and the cost of that on top of closing down parts of central London would likely be prohibitive. It doesn't really need to be in Central London for the sake of anything other than that's the 'sell' of the race. There are additional BBC channels it could be funnelled away onto, or the 'red button' service mentioned by awavey, which are technically speaking free to air, anybody with the BBC has access to it but may not be aware that it is on.

And if they cannot claim that it is a top division race, getting live coverage on their free to air main broadcast channels is an even bigger ask.
Outside of the Tour de France and the World Championships, no race has live free broadcasting in the UK: are they really making it a requirement that a 2.Pro women's race secures that to be able to regain WWT status?

thats not strictly true the Tour de Yorkshire,when it existed, and Tour of Britain have had live free broadcasting coverage, the mens Ride London race also had live coverage too.

the rule says 45mins of live coverage for each stage of a WWT event, and is that really that unreasonable an ask ?

just today Eurosport have had the Tour of Slovenia & Tour of Belgium live, and they are ProSeries races, how is it the 2nd tier of mens racing gets live coverage, and not via some 4g hack, but if you dropped the live coverage requirement for WWT status, the top ranked womens races dont ?

i suspect the womens tour played the showed "efforts" card last year, they were signed up with GCN/Eurosport for live coverage and had announced it, similar to this years efforts, but had to can it at the last minute due to the costs and lack of consistent 4g signal on the route, and probably claimed it was an exceptional year due to covid, just to get a race run at all was probably an achievement.

I dont know why Ride London has WWT status, the classique crit was never of the level required, even if the Madrid crit as part of the Vuelta had WWT status, but I suspect them losing the mens race forced them to focus more on the WWT instead, prize pots it was 60,000 euros this year not the 100,000 it once was, its still more than most races for sure but riders have always said forget about the prize money, they want live tv coverage instead.

and shutting down central london isnt as costly as you might think as TfL are very helpful in that regards, in that they have a pot of money each year to spend on things that will attract tourists to London, this kind of thing falls under that so TfL cover most of the costs for you, thats arguably why it stays in London, or that London "attracts" these kinds of races, because actually elsewhere in the UK that kind of tourist fund doesnt exist, so councils or sponsors are having to pay the costs themselves.

with the BBC, its more about having any live sport to show thesedays, though the week after next, it will be wall to wall coverage of tennis for two weeks, but yeah the main channels rarely are cleared except for football, they even invented a new format of cricket just so the BBC could show it live on a main channel and not worry about running over time schedules, they seem to think the average viewer cant concentrate on anything for more than 45mins at a time, so showing a full cycling stage live is out.

why in this digital channel era they never just created a BBC Sports channel and just put sports there I dont know, but as I say alot of the live sport they claim to show live these days is shuffled over to the Red Button channel, or iplayer online, though its infrequently advertised

Why in this digital channel era they never just created a BBC Sports channel and just put sports there I dont know, but as I say alot of the live sport they claim to show live these days is shuffled over to the Red Button channel, or iplayer online, though its infrequently advertised
They've probably thought about it, but it's not cost effective for the tv licence fee or something like that. They have done it in the past for the Olympics though when the bbc had the main rights to it for at least London and Rio. Having it on the red button service would be fine in my opinion as I think most if not all TV sets have a remote with a red button which means its more than a step ahead of any streaming platform like gcn or even just the basic Eurosport channels as I'm notnsure whether they're available on the likes of Freeview and Freesat.

i suspect the womens tour played the showed "efforts" card last year, they were signed up with GCN/Eurosport for live coverage and had announced it, similar to this years efforts, but had to can it at the last minute due to the costs and lack of consistent 4g signal on the route, and probably claimed it was an exceptional year due to covid, just to get a race run at all was probably an achievement.
Yet they didn't run in 2020. The Giro d'Italia did, scrambling together a race on short notice (and it showed) and got penalised with loss of their WWT status. Yet everybody was calling out to protect the Women's Tour when they failed their responsibilities over a year later.

I just feel like, the British races were a major step forward for coverage and attention to women's cycling at the time they began, but they've rested on their laurels, haven't continued to progress, continue to present more or less the same package now as they did in 2014 in defiance of all the changes that have happened for the better in the women's cycling landscape since, and as a result are now in the process of being left behind. But because they were a major step forward when they started out, that is remembered fondly and so they are given a bit more leeway than another race or race organiser would get for the same failings.

That was a lot more entertaining than I had feared it would be. The short climb made a difference. It looked like Brand was sailing away, but then Rooijakkers not on ly closed it (ona descent!), but also managed counter Brand afterwards. Then she took the front and had no chance of winning.

They could have taken another second, if Balsamo hadn't sprinted for fourth.

Seeing the bike paths next to the Rhine makes me long for a return to the area.

Last edited: