• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 84 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Koppenburg, Magnaldi and the new Movistar duo of Floortje Mackaij and Liane Lippert now up front, with a small gap from Nosková and Mareille Meijering. The tickers are now contradicting each other as to where Magalhães is.

Magalhães was on the attack earlier, so it's probabably a mistake that she was ever there, but let's see. Her full name must be one of the longest in the peloton: Ana Vitória Gouvea Vieira Almeida Magalhães. I can understand why people call her Tota instead.

5 on 5, graphics are messing things up again. They labelled Magnaldi as Magalhães, now they've labelled her as Fien Delbaere. At least there was an understandable numerical confusion of Magalhães and Magnaldi, really not understanding the Delbaere confusion. Similarly they've mistaken Aranza Villalón (#111) as Elinor Barker (#11).

Edit: not anymore. Nosková tries to escape, Mackaij covers, Lippert then charges away to join them, goes over the top and Mackaij goes with her, they have it down to two of the three, I think they're trying to do the Vino-Kash for the photos but Nosková refuses to be beaten.

Last edited:
2nd version of my fantasy cycling team. Thoughts?
Screenshot-2023-02-09-141629.png

Your biggest buys are Cille and Kasia, I'm always going to support that. Even I didn't go that heart-over-head in the CQ game (although I did go pretty heart-over-head with Demi and Cille as my most expensive two picks in fairness). I also back the Fidanza pick, I think she's an under-the-radar chance for some good cheap points because Ceratizit don't really have a better sprinter and she's pretty quick and decent for some placements even if she likely won't win too much. Manly is poised for a good year and she can motor over most terrains, while Kool is a pick I made on the CQ game too, I think she's a definite star pick here because DSM have a very good sprint train but now having lost Labecki and Wiebes over the last couple of years, Kool will be the main one on the end of it. I'd only say that you have invested heavily in the FDJ team with Grace Brown AND Cille whose goals are likely to be subsumed to one another when they race together in many major races (this was also why I rejected my initial plan to use Liane Lippert in my CQ Game, because I figured that with that game focusing primarily on WWT races, being on the same team as Annemiek van Vleuten will limit the number of points available to her) and similarly Henderson's freedom will likely be clipped by being on the same team as Vos and being likely to focus on the same types of stages/races; Szkalniak is an interesting gamble as her successes in the B-races last year mean she costs a fair bit so it's potentially high risk high reward as if she can replicate that kind of form on the WWT you'll be laughing to the (points) bank, and...well...of course I have to subtract some style points for picking Lizzie Deignan :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: Izzyeviel
Your biggest buys are Cille and Kasia, I'm always going to support that. Even I didn't go that heart-over-head in the CQ game (although I did go pretty heart-over-head with Demi and Cille as my most expensive two picks in fairness). I also back the Fidanza pick, I think she's an under-the-radar chance for some good cheap points because Ceratizit don't really have a better sprinter and she's pretty quick and decent for some placements even if she likely won't win too much. Manly is poised for a good year and she can motor over most terrains, while Kool is a pick I made on the CQ game too, I think she's a definite star pick here because DSM have a very good sprint train but now having lost Labecki and Wiebes over the last couple of years, Kool will be the main one on the end of it. I'd only say that you have invested heavily in the FDJ team with Grace Brown AND Cille whose goals are likely to be subsumed to one another when they race together in many major races (this was also why I rejected my initial plan to use Liane Lippert in my CQ Game, because I figured that with that game focusing primarily on WWT races, being on the same team as Annemiek van Vleuten will limit the number of points available to her) and similarly Henderson's freedom will likely be clipped by being on the same team as Vos and being likely to focus on the same types of stages/races; Szkalniak is an interesting gamble as her successes in the B-races last year mean she costs a fair bit so it's potentially high risk high reward as if she can replicate that kind of form on the WWT you'll be laughing to the (points) bank, and...well...of course I have to subtract some style points for picking Lizzie Deignan :tearsofjoy:

Lower ranked races count in this game, so as long as CANYON SRAM brings her to some of them (possibly as a part of the Generation team, she might still be able to score a fair amount of points that way, if she fails at WWT level.

2nd version of my fantasy cycling team. Thoughts?

You should of course bet against Vos, but her current injury could possibly become an issue. She probably won't be riding too many races either, which could also be costly if she doesn't reach her usual level.

I don't really know what to expect from Paternoster, but at least it will be hard for her to do any worse than last year. Zoe Bäckstedt might still need some time, before she'll be ready to score many points, but it will also depend on which races she gets to ride.

Reactions: Izzyeviel
When's the next window for substitution? If it's fairly short term, hard to look past Liane but once Annemiek's season starts to hit full gas, they'll be doing a few of the same races, and Annemiek's way of winning things being to just ride away from everybody means it's harder to gain from her the way you can with Vos teammates (Marianne will often let a teammate up the road, and then say to those around her something along the lines of 'I'm not working to chase my teammate, and I'll outsprint you if you bring her back, your move'. It was a large part of how Annemiek first made her name back in the Nederland Bloeit/Rabobank days in fact). Season-long I think Labous is the best call from those, as she'll score strong points in the stage racing season. Reusser and Fisher-Black are both great but with SD-Worx's insane strength in depth they'll often be fighting for scraps. García is an intriguing pick because she's at an age where every year I think she'll decline and she doesn't, but because she didn't turn pro until already in her 30s she's not got the miles on the clock of most her age. Hell, Annemiek hasn't either because she's a late starter, but she still started a lot sooner than Mavi.

I'd forgotten Vos was injured - see, this is why I come to the experts.
I can replace her with one of Labous, Garcia, Lippert, Norsgaard, Reusser, Fisher-black or Audrey Cordon-Ragot. Any idea?

You can also have Moolman-Pasio, right?

I would be inclined to go with her. She's now the undisputed team leader again, and she's the last rider who's beat AVV on a longer climb. She would also have scored more points in 2022, if she hadn't missed out on Vuelta a Burgos and dropped out of the Tour. The only issue is that she'll have worse team support than the other options.

But out of those you mentioned, I'd probably go with Labous as well now that she doesn't have to share leadership with Lippert in some races. I also know she's targeting all three GT-like races again this year, and the Tour route suits her quite well with the long ITT at the end.

Last edited:
I could do, but is she really going to have a good enough season to justify her price tag? Maybe. The others just seem more likely to

I obviously can't guarantee you anything, but now that she doesn't have to share leadership with Vollering any longer, something that didn't seem to benefit either of them, I think she'll be able to improve on last year's score.

But as the deadline isn't until the 20th, you have a chance to see how she and the others perform in UAE and/or Setmana Valenciana before you make your final decision.

TRENDING THREADS