• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Wiebes is built different than the majority of the female peloton, more like a taller female Cavendish or as a middleweight wrestler, also she is standing up in the sprint which a lot of the women doesnt seem to like to do .not only on cobbles , i have seen it on regular roads as well, which would be advantage you would think.

So the UCI is investigating a glucose monitor?
A) Why is there a rule against continuous monitoring?
B) OK, there is a rule against continuous monitoring, the investigation should already be over because it would be very easy to check.
C) Change the rule.

If the UVCI ever states that 'rider health and safety is a priority' again, this is yet more proof that they are dishonest.

interesting article but I dont think it changes the situation, as it cant be about riders health ultimately if the rider is happy to fit the thing and wear as the article colourfully describes just as some inert bit of jewellery by not activating data sync, even though surely the 2week limit must start the moment you attach it to your body for "health" and hygeine reasons not the data activation part.

but either you need to be checking your nutrition is working, and you arent glucose depleted for your health, and surely youd be sorted coming into a racing season by now as a pro cyclist with professional nutrionists to help you, or youre struggling and trying to work out the reasons why, in which case soloing off the front in a race you werent expecting to be in, maybe not the best idea for your health.

• Wow
Reactions: jmdirt
interesting article but I dont think it changes the situation, as it cant be about riders health ultimately if the rider is happy to fit the thing and wear as the article colourfully describes just as some inert bit of jewellery by not activating data sync, even though surely the 2week limit must start the moment you attach it to your body for "health" and hygeine reasons not the data activation part.

but either you need to be checking your nutrition is working, and you arent glucose depleted for your health, and surely youd be sorted coming into a racing season by now as a pro cyclist with professional nutrionists to help you, or youre struggling and trying to work out the reasons why, in which case soloing off the front in a race you werent expecting to be in, maybe not the best idea for your health.
So the UCI should ban everything but the team kit then?

EDIT: Why should a diabetic racer not be able to have their device in at all times? They shouldn't be expected to take them out for races, or worse, not wear them for an entire racing block. Fine, no monitoring during races, but they can't be expected to pop them in and out for each race.

Your second paragraph??

Last edited:
EDIT: Why should a diabetic racer not be able to have their device in at all times? They shouldn't be expected to take them out for races, or worse, not wear them for an entire racing block. Fine, no monitoring during races, but they can't be expected to pop them in and out for each race.

They are, they can get a TUE to use them.

I'm mixed about that. From my interpretation of the device, it's an even more direct method than a powermeter or heart rate monitor to gather information about one's reserves during a race and when to replenish them and so, it can lead to even less variability and turn the races even more predictable.

races stay boring with sd worx domination. People complain about budget differences between the mens teams and then there is SD with a higher budget than the next two teams combined...

This is why I don't agree with the idea of equal prize money with the Men. By all means have equal money given as whole (per team per day), but for women's racing to grow the money from the race organiser money needs to be distributed more equitably. Making the richest richer at the expense of the poor doesn't build the sport.

So the UCI should ban everything but the team kit then?

Your second paragraph??

diabetics can apply for derogation from that rule, so its not an issue for them to use it, the key is they seek permission beforehand not forgiveness afterwards

my 2nd paragraph is just saying to ride the way Kristen did at Strade Bianche,she crashed, she had to ride full gas to get back on the main group, then she rides off the front to the finish line, she would absolutely have been pushing into the low glucose and Relative Energy Deficiency in Sport (RED-S) area that particularly affects women and menstrual cycles as the article says and is her main concern and apparent reason for using these monitors

so if her concern for using these monitors is her health from the effects those situations can create, but she races anyway knowing she pushes her health into those zones regardless. then what value is the monitor ?

• Sad
They are, they can get a TUE to use them.

I'm mixed about that. From my interpretation of the device, it's an even more direct method than a powermeter or heart rate monitor to gather information about one's reserves during a race and when to replenish them and so, it can lead to even less variability and turn the races even more predictable.
So why only quote part of what I said?
"Why should a diabetic racer not be able to have their device in at all times? They shouldn't be expected to take them out for races, or worse, not wear them for an entire racing block. Fine, no monitoring during races, but they can't be expected to pop them in and out for each race. "

I clearly said "fine, no monitoring during races...".

EDIT: are you sure about the TUE?

Last edited:
This is why I don't agree with the idea of equal prize money with the Men. By all means have equal money given as whole (per team per day), but for women's racing to grow the money from the race organiser money needs to be distributed more equitably. Making the richest richer at the expense of the poor doesn't build the sport.

Yeah, this is something I have felt the same about. Women's cycling is still developing so instead of worrying about equal prize money, it would be more logical to see the money invested in establishing races and developing a strong calendar in which races are not struggling like the Women's Tour. Get the calendar sorted, get the teams sorted, have a strong base and then worry about prize money. Too often in the quest for 'equality', the horse is put before the cart.

Sweetspot now crowdfunding to fill the sponsors shortfall at the Women's tour https://www.gofundme.com/f/the-womens-tour-2023

cant help think this isnt going to end well
Can't help but think you will be right.
Top level bike racing in UK seems to be in danger of disappearing altogether.
Sponsorship is extremely difficult to obtain, bike sales have dropped significantly, businesses are going bust, even my lbs, which has always been a sucessful business, is just hanging on.

• Sad
I know Flanders Classics have introduced equal price money now, but in recent years there's been a switch where riders have been more interested in getting more raced televised and improving the organisation behind them. FC are usually doing a fine job of that, at least compared to some other organisers, so for them to go a step further isn't a big deal for me. The best riders and teams obviosuly score the most money anyway, but most of that still won't be coming from prize money.

Then there are also teams like Trek that have decided to close the gap themselves by paying their female riders the same amount of prize money as the men (of course only in races that have races for both categories).

The three-day Tour de Normandie starts today.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W12UIEfD3gk&ab_channel=TourdeNormandiecycliste

idk I think the equal prize money is good PR for the organizers and doesn't effect development at all. I also don't think the organizers would use that same money to invest in smaller teams.
Providing incentives for more men's teams to invest in women's teams would do more for increased parity and competition.

This does not seem very surprising. Big injection of cash, big expansion very quickly and signing some pretty decent riders, but there were rumours of late or missing payments almost from the get-go this year. I suspect some fly-by-night secondary sponsors leaving gaps in costs that lead sponsors were unwilling to bridge, or that they were kind of hoping to wing it on increased winnings until they got to the Spanish mini-season where their sponsors most benefit, and didn't make it.

For the riders, I'm sure the likes of Cordon-Ragot, Nosková and Silvestri can find somewhere even if on the short term, they have plenty of experience around Europe, and Meijering and de Francesco have had good breakout performances this season that should see them safe. The likes of Franz and Maggie Coles-Lyster may have to retreat to the NRC but they should find a home too you'd think. The others will probably be scouting the smaller Spanish and Italian teams for potential I guess as they're either decent enough to fit in on those teams or young enough to be worth a flyer, or both.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Ride London confirmed the teams involved in Ride London Classique today https://www.ridelondon.co.uk/the-classique/teams-and-riders

but no Team SD Worx, ergo no Lorena Wiebes...discuss
Its annoying that worldtour races don't have all the worldtour teams. But there again I personally don't think this should be a worldtour race, so it doesn't matter as much to me as others. I guess SD worx have other races they're prioritising than this small race otherwise I'd find it weird not to invite the team with the last race winner, even if Wiebes didn't win in those colours.

This does not seem very surprising. Big injection of cash, big expansion very quickly and signing some pretty decent riders, but there were rumours of late or missing payments almost from the get-go this year. I suspect some fly-by-night secondary sponsors leaving gaps in costs that lead sponsors were unwilling to bridge, or that they were kind of hoping to wing it on increased winnings until they got to the Spanish mini-season where their sponsors most benefit, and didn't make it.

For the riders, I'm sure the likes of Cordon-Ragot, Nosková and Silvestri can find somewhere even if on the short term, they have plenty of experience around Europe, and Meijering and de Francesco have had good breakout performances this season that should see them safe. The likes of Franz and Maggie Coles-Lyster may have to retreat to the NRC but they should find a home too you'd think. The others will probably be scouting the smaller Spanish and Italian teams for potential I guess as they're either decent enough to fit in on those teams or young enough to be worth a flyer, or both.

It must be quite stressful for Cordon-Ragot, though.

TRENDING THREADS