• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Mads Pedersen is Danish and Absolutely no other Nationality Thread

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

What Nationality is Mads Pedersen?

• Dansk

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Danish

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • Dänisch

Votes: 4 12.9%
  • Danés

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Danois

• Danese

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • Deens

• Danska

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
Actually, a lot of races let the world champion wear number one regardless of previous participations and successes.

But as his first race? And it still requires the actual defending champion (which he is, in this case) to not be racing.

I don't get 15 seconds to correct my post before you assault me? :p

No. (What happened? Accidentally hit the "send" button?)

But as his first race? And it still requires the actual defending champion (which he is, in this case) to not be racing.

No. (What happened? Accidentally hit the "send" button?)

Yeah, I don't know, my fingers apparently had learned Welsh or something without letting me know and then decided to display that ability by pushing the post reply button without permission.

• Haha
Reactions: RedheadDane
Yeah, I don't know, my fingers apparently had learned Welsh or something without letting me know and then decided to display that ability by pushing the post reply button without permission.

Hate it when that happens… :rolleyes:

Anyway, just saw; Valverde wore number 1 in Tre Valli Varesine last year, he still wasn't the defending champion though.
(And let's just hope Mads doesn't eat too many pancakes with ice!)

Although he beat one of my favorite riders you cannot NOT like that guy. Also I wasn't really surprised. I've been following him since his junior days and he is freaking fast. Last year he beat Drucker, Naesen, Philipsen in a sprint of a group. And he already beat guys like vanHoff, Morkov, Carbel etc in Mass sprints. I was really surprised commentators more of less didn't even consider him winning. Then he won easily - which made that defeat easier on me than it would have been had he won against Matteo by inches.

Just found yet another reason to like this guy.
Basically three Danish towns (obviously, Danish towns…) tried to claim him as "their own", prompting DR to try to figure out where he's actually from. The answer being that he's from Tølløse, and still consider that his "home-place". However, he lives in Lejre because that's where his fiancée is from, and he doesn't want her to be far away from her friends and family while he's gone all the time.
Suppose that's another reason he's still living in Denmark - as talked about in the World Championship thread - if 11 minutes by bus (yes, I checked…) is "too far away", then I guess Spain is out of the question!

Reactions: Pantani_lives
Normally I don't like it when someone wins the world title after being nowhere most of the year, but he's young, and the future will tell what he's really worth. Our lists of favourites turned out te be wrothless once again. I saw him as the fourth or fifth Danish rider.

It's surprising how often the world title is won by someone who has never won a monument.

World champions who have never won a monument:

1997 Brochard
2003 Astarloa
2009 Evans
2010 Hushovd
2013 Costa
2019 Pedersen

World champions who have won their first monument afterwards:

1998 Camenzind
1999 Freire
2001 Freire
2014 Kwiatkowski
2015 Sagan
Actually those two lists are much bigger, Olano, Leblanc, Armstrong, Dhaenens, Lemond, Roche and many more have never won a Monument.
Fondriest, Criquielion, Saronni, Kuiper, Jan Janssen and many more, all have won WC first and then a Monument.

Reactions: Zoetemelk-fan
Actually those two lists are much bigger, Olano, Leblanc, Armstrong, Dhaenens, Lemond, Roche and many more have never won a Monument.
Fondriest, Criquielion, Saronni, Kuiper, Jan Janssen and many more, all have won WC first and then a Monument.
Yes, but there ought to be another list for Saronni, Lemond, Olano, and Evans (and maybe others?) who won Worlds and then a Grand Tour.

Mads is what you call a true old school rider in the mold of Johan Museeuw, Gilbert and those other legendary classicomanos. A real hardman made for the tough classics, a no nonsense guy and a guy who likes to punish himself with legendary long training rides. I actually think thats why he fares to well in those extremely hard races, due to his training regime, and why he has a hard time in races where you need to be more explosive ('easier' classics around 200 km). I really like the guy solely for that reason. And lets not ignore the guy lives in Denmark, a country notorious for its shitty weather apart from 4 months a year. Doesnt care about that, he is made for hard nosed riding in wind and rain on parcours which are hard enough to make a selection on lumpy terrain.

That he also made that tweet obviously makes me a 100% bigger fan. And he looks damn good in those rainbows.

Wouldnt surprise me if he didnt do much in the spring apart from a couple of monsters performances in Flanders and Roubaix.

I was just checking some of the teams for the next season, because of something that was said in another thread, and I noticed that the spring classic squad of Trek is not very impressive. They got beside Madmads of course Stuyven as a leader, but further on there's only Theuns, Skujins, maybe Kamp and than there's Simmons, only he's 18 and I guess not doing a complete spring campain. Nibali could be doing Vlaanderen again.

Question for the Danes on this board: how nuts did you go when he crossed the line?

I was more like... stunned.

Something I realised last night; him and Stuyven will have a rather hard time doing their is it one, is it the other? trick when one of them attacks.

A real hardman made for the tough classics, a no nonsense guy and a guy who likes to punish himself with legendary long training rides.

And also, there are multiple people who don't wanna train with him because of that.

Danish podcast Veloropa did a special om Mads Pedersen the other day, and a couple of fun anecdotes came out of it.

One of the participants recalled Mads Pedersen as a junior rider:
He'd shown up at a senior elite road race in Copenhagen, having ridden his road bike the 65 k from his parents house to race start, wearing a backpack with a change of clothes.
He put down the backpack, started the race, smashed everyone and won the race - then put his backpack back on, went on the podium to collect his prize (which he put in the backpack) - then got on his bike and rode the 65 k home again.

The other one was when he, as a 20 year old, rode for PC team Stölting Group.
As part of his training, he rode a danish elite road race, with one of his old buddies.
The buddy had always dreamed of winning an elite race, but wasn't quite good enough.
So Mads Pedersen told him to ride away from the peloton on his own early - then attacked himself and rode up to his friend, told him to sit on his wheel, and then spent 120 k ferrying him to the finish line, while keeping the entire peloton at bay, without the friend taking the lead a single time, and delivered him to the line, where Mads Pedersen backed off and let him creep across the line first, for the only win of the friends career.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS