• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The "Maximilian Schachmann deserves a thread" thread

I think it's long overdue that this guy gets a thread (at least I think he doesn't have one yet).

Not only does he distinguish himself by having an awesome and long name with a double-digit amount of letters in each part, he also seems to be developing into a hell of a rider whose versatility seems to be extraordinary.

During the winter, I was thinking he was one of the most interesting transfers; a big loss for Deceuninck (who seem to survive without him, it has to be said) and a big bolstering of the Bora squad.

He forms part of the impressive 1994 generation and I think he has been the one to shine most brightly from that group this year. He was migthily strong in Strade Bianche but unfortunate with an accident after which he crossed from the second to the first group by a quite frankly surreal display of strength, which unfortunately left him dead for the climbs they hit immediately as he had closed the gap. The next day he won the Larciano race without any problems.

Bora made a big mistake by not letting him ride Tirreno where he could have ended on a podium. Now, he rides Catalunya and he got off to a good start today with another impressive piece of rouleurism. But the mountains are likely to be a bit too hard.

Last year, he almost won Flèche Wallonne from the break and the Ardennes promise to be his stomping ground. Unfortunately for him, he has a Slovakian teammate who also wants to try himself there.

GC in a Grand Tour? That's perhaps a bit much to ask but stranger things have happened.

He never had as much hype around him as other German prospects like Kämna or Herklotz. Already during his U23 times, however, he showed some great consistency and also versitility. I remember that during the U23-ITT in Richmond he was second and a few days later in the road race he bridged a sizable gap (can't remember how big exactly) between the peloton and the lead group solo within one lap. His GC victory in the Tour d'Alsace a year later showed that he is more than a TTist at last.

The Ardennes are very well suited to him with his punch in shorter efforts and he doesn't have to shy away from a solo attack either. With the right opposition he can even count on his sprint.

Regarding GC in Grand Tours we'll have to wait and see, however, with the lack of domestic GC talent still holding back the popularity of the sport in Germany, I am sure that BORA will want to try sooner rather than later.

Well done tobydawq for starting the thread. As I said on the other forum, he's my big CQ comp hope for this year. He seems to have power, speed and a bravery about him. He's got a little bit of TdeG about him in that respect. I actually think he's a good foil for Sagan, in that he can go long and get in breaks, whilst Sagan provides the other options.

I don't think he is made for the high mountains like Roglic or Dumo.

He reminds me more of a Jungels-esque all-rounder with a nice time trial. Great at pacing himself in the hills which opens up for a lot of races: The Ardennes, Italian classics, Flemish bergs, hilly/medium mountain stages in GTs.

He could do the same trick as Jungels in Liege when the favorites are looking at each other.

Re: Re:

tobydawq said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Schachmann has a lot more uphill punch than Jungels. He's a legit contender for Fleche Wallonne

That's true. But his rouleur skills are similar to Jungels'. He's just even more versatile. Pretty impressive.

More versatile? Jungels already finished top 10 twice in the Giro, has a decent time trial and showed in the U23s and also this season that he is good on cobbles. Apart from getting over hills good enough to take LBL. Lets be honest, the only thing where Jungels is not above average right now is sprinting and even in that department he won a stage at the Giro from a reduced group. Granted it was a group of climbers but still ...

Currently I think only Kwiatkowski is more versatile than Jungels. That is not a knock on Schachmann but I think you underestimate Bob Jungels!

Dec 31, 2017
Visit site

Akuryo said:
tobydawq said:
Eyeballs Out said:
Schachmann has a lot more uphill punch than Jungels. He's a legit contender for Fleche Wallonne

That's true. But his rouleur skills are similar to Jungels'. He's just even more versatile. Pretty impressive.

More versatile? Jungels already finished top 10 twice in the Giro, has a decent time trial and showed in the U23s and also this season that he is good on cobbles. Apart from getting over hills good enough to take LBL. Lets be honest, the only thing where Jungels is not above average right now is sprinting and even in that department he won a stage at the Giro from a reduced group. Granted it was a group of climbers but still ...

Currently I think only Kwiatkowski is more versatile than Jungels. That is not a knock on Schachmann but I think you underestimate Bob Jungels!
I'm not a particular fan of both but I think that Moscon and Valverde are more versatile than Jungels

Re:

armchairclimber said:
Schachmann is the gift that keeps on giving. Seems a nice lad as well.

Brian Holm says that he is probably the rider with the highest self confidence he has ever met. Apparently (Holm usually exaggerates his points, it has to be said), Schachmann wouldn't understand why he would not be deemed a favourite in a Grand Tour and he is not very keen on doing any domestique work at all.

By the way, this is not to counter the point of him being a nice lad which I also think he is, it's just an interesting thing about him.

tobydawq said:
armchairclimber said:
Schachmann is the gift that keeps on giving. Seems a nice lad as well.

Brian Holm says that he is probably the rider with the highest self confidence he has ever met. Apparently (Holm usually exaggerates his points, it has to be said), Schachmann wouldn't understand why he would not be deemed a favourite in a Grand Tour and he is not very keen on doing any domestique work at all.

By the way, this is not to counter the point of him being a nice lad which I also think he is, it's just an interesting thing about him.
I hope Holm is exaggerating a lot there.

As for Schachmann, "he has a very special personality, he has huge self-confidence, I spoke to Brian Holm, his former director and he says it's the typical German self-confidence! But I have to say he is a very smart guy, always analyses things very carefully and I had experience too, knowing that it would be really difficult to catch him.

Thats from Pomer, his DS, after his Catalunya breakaway win.

TRENDING THREADS