• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 73 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
And here is the interview. It was the first time in the week that Primož looked slightly tired after the finish - no wonder seeing that he did some massive pulls in the valley and then sprinted to 2nd as well.

"Waah, first congratulations to Tadej, I see that we changed places today from last time (at this moment Tom comes from behind for an akward half-hug). He was super strong and again, congrats to him. But of course, the yellow jersey, great right, a goal of course is to have it in Paris as well, so, yeah, another good stage for us!"

Reporter: An interesting fact, last year on the same day you finished in the same order, Tadej first and you second in La Vuelta. Do you two plan those finishes and positions in advance?

"Huh, it would be really nice if everything was that easy, but, what should I say, looks like us Slovenians have really become a superpower in cycling, next to Colombians, so I am realy really happy."

Reporter: A word or two about the unplanned complication at the top of the final climb...

"Oh yeah, oh dear, I have apologized to Tadej imediatelly, but we almost eliminated each other... but its cycling. In the end, all okay, so really great."

Reporter: You are going to get a lion (a fluffy toy that the yellow jersey wearer gets), is it going to be for you son Lev (meaning Lion in Slovenian)? You got some of them in the Dauphine, but this one is going to be even more special.

"Well, he probably already destroyed those, so he will be verry happy to get a new one!"

And here is the interview. It was the first time in the week that Primož looked slightly tired after the finish - no wonder seeing that he did some massive pulls in the valley and then sprinted to 2nd as well.

"Waah, first congratulations to Tadej, I see that we changed places today from last time (at this moment Tom comes from behind for an akward half-hug). He was super strong and again, congrats to him. But of course, the yellow jersey, great right, a goal of course is to have it in Paris as well, so, yeah, another good stage for us!"

Reporter: An interesting fact, last year on the same day you finished in the same order, Tadej first and you second in La Vuelta. Do you two plan those finishes and positions in advance?

"Huh, it would be really nice if everything was that easy, but, what should I say, looks like us Slovenians have really become a superpower in cycling, next to Colombians, so I am realy really happy."

Reporter: A word or two about the unplanned complication at the top of the final climb...

"Oh yeah, oh dear, I have apologized to Tadej imediatelly, but we almost eliminated each other... but its cycling. In the end, all okay, so really great."

Reporter: You are going to get a lion (a fluffy toy that the yellow jersey wearer gets), is it going to be for you son Lev (meaning Lion in Slovenian)? You got some of them in the Dauphine, but this one is going to be even more special.

"Well, he probably already destroyed those, so he will be verry happy to get a new one!"

Thanks so much! I think Lev has quite a few more lions in his future!

Magnificent ride today I think, certainly taking more opportunity than yesterday.

EhQBe87WoAImFJ7

Watching his sprint for bonus seconds really makes me think he's stronger than he's letting on. I think he was hoping if he crested the climb in a small group he could really put big time into the people behind on the descent and flat. In the end it was only 11 seconds but he definitely used less energy than if he was alone.

He will do serious damage on Puy Mary.

Watching his sprint for bonus seconds really makes me think he's stronger than he's letting on. I think he was hoping if he crested the climb in a small group he could really put big time into the people behind on the descent and flat. In the end it was only 11 seconds but he definitely used less energy than if he was alone.

He will do serious damage on Puy Mary.

Especially since Sepp will finally be willing to ride in his best incarnation due to it being a steep MTF! :smirk:

He looks really strong and I agree with some of the others here that it seems he still has some strength left in the tank. Keeping it for week 3. Needs to watch out for Bernal. Seems like he is the only one anywhere close to Roglic. Rest are on/off on each day. Pogacar has put in superman efforts in the last 2 stages. Might suffer in Week 3.

So far the Tour has gone as planned save for Dumoulin's weakness. I think there's a good chance for TJV to pad Roglic's lead before stage 15 -- he may need a minute or so cushion before Grand Colombier or Loze. But I agree that he might have another 5 percent that he hasn't shown. Regardless, I'm cheering for him. He gave 110% last year and it paid off, especially bouncing back from a disappointing Giro.

Magnificent ride today I think, certainly taking more opportunity than yesterday.
The stage suited him better, though. The only big climb, Hourcère-Soudet, was soft pedaled, too. Obviously a fast start and end to the stage, but yeah, not really high mountain territory when it mattered.

I don't think any team except Jumbo is strong enough to drill it on the Madeleine. They have zero reason to do so. Loze alone won't be enough for Bernal, with the TT in mind. Grand Colombier from Culoz, OTOH, is not as hard as the hype surrounding that climb would lead you to believe.

Bernal's TT is usually pretty mediocre, and this is no MTT either. Nor does it have a climb in it that suits him better than Roglič or PogChamp. So yeah, Bernal does look primed for the podium, but I don't see him as Rogla's #1 rival.

Reactions: Red Rick
So far the Tour has gone as planned save for Dumoulin's weakness. I think there's a good chance for TJV to pad Roglic's lead before stage 15 -- he may need a minute or so cushion before Grand Colombier or Loze. But I agree that he might have another 5 percent that he hasn't shown. Regardless, I'm cheering for him. He gave 110% last year and it paid off, especially bouncing back from a disappointing Giro.
I can't see where he can gain another 40s or more on Bernal before stage 15. The only possibility I see is stage 13. But the way Bernal looked yesterday, it would be already a great achievement for Rogla to steal another 15-20s IMO.

The stage suited him better, though. The only big climb, Hourcère-Soudet, was soft pedaled, too. Obviously a fast start and end to the stage, but yeah, not really high mountain territory when it mattered.

I don't think any team except Jumbo is strong enough to drill it on the Madeleine. They have zero reason to do so. Loze alone won't be enough for Bernal, with the TT in mind. Grand Colombier from Culoz, OTOH, is not as hard as the hype surrounding that climb would lead you to believe.

Bernal's TT is usually pretty mediocre, and this is no MTT either. Nor does it have a climb in it that suits him better than Roglič or PogChamp. So yeah, Bernal does look primed for the podium, but I don't see him as Rogla's #1 rival.
I think they did Hourcère at like 5.7W/kg, which is by no means soft pedalling for a 30 minute climb halfway a stage. Other than that I agree. I think when Ineos need to attack the GC suits their typical MO a lot more, but I don't think that stage suits Bernal that much overall.

Col de la Loze is a really interesting one with a ver peculiar profile and I'm inclined to dig through 10 years of GTs to look for similarities with other climbs, but it's hard to find MTFs like that.

Ultimately I think it comes down to how good Roglic is on the big climbs and I think he's up for it. I think his team will be stronger as well.

Why? You tell is no reason why we should love this guy!
I wrote it a bit earlier in this thread:

Let's talk a bit about Roglič here. This is a guy that almost got killed while ski jumping and discovered he likes the bike when he was in rehabilitation. This is also a guy that rode 2000 km in a year on a bike and called director of Adria Mobil bike race team that he did 2k this year and would like to turn pro. Every director would laugh and put down the phone but this guy gave him a chance to train. Remember Roglič was 22 or 23 at the time. Later another team gave him a huge chance (Jumbo Visma) and the rest is history. Personally, he hates to be on the spotlight. He doesn't like press, he doesn't like to be swarmed by everybody all the time. He loves to fly under the radar and just...win. One of the reasons he doesn't really want yellow jersey too soon.
And he's a guy that is VERY grateful to JV for having him and he'll do EVERYTHING they want him do to the T. If they would tell him to burn the hill down today, he would if he could. But they don't want that just now. They are afraid to spend too much the first week (Giro 2019), they don't want him in the spotlight too much, because he looses focus and energy.

This TdF is only the third GT that JV is going for the win. Giro 2019 was the first, then Vuelta 2019 and not TdF 2020. Every time with Roglič. On Giro he came in too hot, had bunch of horrible problems and sickness and still managed 3rd place. In Vuelta they had a lot more control, better team, better Roglič in all three weeks and a win at the end. TdF 2020 is only third GT they are trying to win. It's still long to go and most important GT of them all. So they don't want to go all in just now. Today many of their doms got dropped quick. They are not as strong as everybody thought, so they need to be careful. And they are. They control as much as possible and will attack when needed. I think the best is yet to come.

Roglič has initiated long range attacks already in the past, on Tour, being successful at it. Roglič has ridden TTs, where cars drove behind him, using a thermal camera, trying to convince us he is that good at TT, due to using a moped. Roglič has entered the races, where other favorites said he is the favorite, trying to join forces, to get a chance. Roglič has won races sprinting. One day races, weekly races, GTs ... He can win them all.

Saying he is a boring rider, that just make no sense. Just say you are not a big fan and get over it. Roglič is now up there, with the likes of Pantani, Contador, Froome ... one of the immortals of pro cycling.

P.S. As for on how he entered pro cycling. Books, movies, documentaries ... a whole lot material for that.

TRENDING THREADS