• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
One of the best cyclists in the world already imo, he really needs to target the Ardennes classics next year. What is he riding to prepare for the Tour? Tour of Slovenia? Tour de Suisse or Dauphiné might be a bit too much if he still wants to be fresh in the Tour.

He is doing Slovenia before the Tour. The route has been revealed two weeks ago. The race will consist od five stages (one more than in previous years). A sprint stage to begin with, a hilly stage 2, two mountin stages, one with a hill-top finish and the other with a downhill finish. And then a TT of about 20 kilometers to finish it off. I think Roglič should easily win the race, especially with a flat TT on the last day. And the winner of (possibly) three stage races before the Tour doesn't just intentionally lose time there... I hope... If he is out of it by the end of week one (with cobbles, TTT and potential crashes), then by all means, lose some more time and go for stage wins. But if he somehow comes out of the first nine days somewhat close to the top, then anything could happen (if he holds or even improves the shape he is in now).

Re:

bajbar said:
He is doing Slovenia before the Tour. The route has been revealed two weeks ago. The race will consist od five stages (one more than in previous years). A sprint stage to begin with, a hilly stage 2, two mountin stages, one with a hill-top finish and the other with a downhill finish. And then a TT of about 20 kilometers to finish it off. I think Roglič should easily win the race, especially with a flat TT on the last day. And the winner of (possibly) three stage races before the Tour doesn't just intentionally lose time there... I hope... If he is out of it by the end of week one (with cobbles, TTT and potential crashes), then by all means, lose some more time and go for stage wins. But if he somehow comes out of the first nine days somewhat close to the top, then anything could happen (if he holds or even improves the shape he is in now).
My thought exactly, but he doesn't need to spent too much energy keeping at the front all the time. They don't exactly have the personnel to protect him with Steven, Gesink, Groenewegen and his sprint train....

Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
bajbar said:
My thought exactly, but he doesn't need to spent too much energy keeping at the front all the time. They don't exactly have the personnel to protect him with Steven, Gesink, Groenewegen and his sprint train....
Gesink isn't going for GC, and I thought the idea was for Groenewegen to get one man to put him in a good position for the final km.

Re:

bajbar said:
The thing is...will he even bother and try to stay close to the top or will he ride at the back of the peloton and try to preserve energy. I agree he should at least try and not lose time intentionally. While I like that he and his team are sticking to the plan and are not rushing things, on the other hand I also think they need to capitalise on his amazing form. The decision to not ride the Ardennes was already questionable, although if he wins Romandie, everyone is going to forget about that. He is 28, he's not 23, and while I know he has low mileage, he needs to take advantage of his form and start now. Well he's taking advantage of his form in week long races :D but I'm talking about GTs which are his ultimate goal.

There's one thing about Roglič...he wants to be the best, he wants to win. If he sees he has very little chance to do so, like in this year's Tour, he doesn't care about that goal and chooses others. I think he doesn't care about a top10 in GC that's why he wants to chase stages and he won't be happy if he doesn't win more than one. Even last year after the Tour I had a feeling he wasn't completely happy with "just one" stage win. But the Tour is different IMO. You need to try a couple of times and do a "just a top10" to be able to fight for the win in the following years IMO. You rarely see riders who win a GT in their first try.

Very nice to see Primož and the whole team happy and proud. This was a great win.

Db9cUrhWsAEFIy3.jpg

I think Roglic will go for the Tour GC - maybe he won't admit to it beforehand but I'm sure that these two victories in País Vasco and Romandy have made him and his team realise just what he is capable of. Which is quite a lot more than they would have thought before this year where he hadn't exactly excelled in GC battles in mountainous terrain.

With him being the dominant TT'er amongst the very best climbers, it is evident for everybody and his dog that Roglic now has the abilities required of a GC rider (also in GTs). Whether or not he will succeed in the Tour is another question but I definitely think they will want to try. But there is no need for them to put too much pressure on him by saying that he will aim for such and such on GC - it's fine to keep those thoughts inwardly at first.

Re:

yaco said:
Roglic will have limited support at the TDF as it will all be about Groenewegen - Similar to A.Yates at the TDF.

That may very well be a problem but maybe the team realise his opportunity and send a limited support team for Groenewegen in order to be better prepared for the mountains? But they don't have the best team in any case (Kruijswijk would know).

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: The official Primož Roglič is the new Landa thread

If Rogla can ride like this for three weeks, it looks like Denis Menchov has finally found a true heir; a rider who can at least on a few special occasions transcend the rabofail. :cool:

(Groenewegen ain't no Freire though, so in that department the hiatus remains)

tobydawq said:
yaco said:
Roglic will have limited support at the TDF as it will all be about Groenewegen - Similar to A.Yates at the TDF.

That may very well be a problem but maybe the team realise his opportunity and send a limited support team for Groenewegen in order to be better prepared for the mountains? But they don't have the best team in any case (Kruijswijk would know).

Roglic will have Kruijswijk for support and probably one other rider - Reckon if Roglic is serious about GC at a GT, then he needs to switch teams.

yaco said:
tobydawq said:
yaco said:

Roglic will have Kruijswijk for support and probably one other rider - Reckon if Roglic is serious about GC at a GT, then he needs to switch teams.

If he gets a team build around him with Kruijswijk, Bennett, Powless, Clement, Gesink, Van Emden and Bouwman, it will be strong enough in 2019's TdF. Clement, Great combination of uphill & tt-abilities.

Cinemaniak said:
yaco said:
tobydawq said:
yaco said:

If he gets a team build around him with Kruijswijk, Bennett, Powless, Clement, Gesink, Van Emden and Bouwman, it will be strong enough in 2019's TdF. Clement, Great combination of uphill & tt-abilities.

I feel like he’d need to prove himself in a GT before they just ask Kruijswijk and Bennett to ride support. Bennett especially is still developing and probably has some personal ambitions of his own...Roglic should just try his best with whatever support he can get and see if 3 weeks is for him.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's already been decided this year Kruijswijk as GC leader in the Tour. They will not deviate from that plan now. They might say to Roglic keep calm and just try not to lose time so they always have Roglic as plan B
Only LottoNL would make someone like Kruijswijk leader over Roglic lol.

Kruijswijk being teamleader in the Tour is bound to become a disaster, doesn't he have the same dislike for the heat like Wellens?. If they choose not to go for GC Roglic, they should focus on stagehunting with Groenewegen, Gesink & Roglic. Kruijswijk should keep on riding the Giro, he has proven himself there and in a good year he might get to the podium, although I guess he blew his chance in 2016.

Re:

Why would Lotto-Jumbo rush things with Roglic, when they've got potential with Kruijswijk. He's still building up to his peak in the Tour and already rode a very solid race in Romandie. Much better than expected and Roglic told everyone how much he wants to learn more, before taking a shot for GC in the Tour. The preparation will be completely different too.

Bardamu said:
Kruijswijk being teamleader in the Tour is bound to become a disaster, doesn't he have the same dislike for the heat like Wellens?. If they choose not to go for GC Roglic, they should focus on stagehunting with Groenewegen, Gesink & Roglic. Kruijswijk should keep on riding the Giro, he has proven himself there and in a good year he might get to the podium, although I guess he blew his chance in 2016.
No he doesn't.

El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's already been decided this year Kruijswijk as GC leader in the Tour. They will not deviate from that plan now. They might say to Roglic keep calm and just try not to lose time so they always have Roglic as plan B
It's not "over" Kruijswijk.

Roglic and the team decided specifically to target one-week races this year and Tour for stage wins. He could have been team leader if he wanted to.

Now you can't tell Kruijswijk mid-season to *** off.

Dekker_Tifosi said:
El Pistolero said:
Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's not "over" Kruijswijk.

Roglic and the team decided specifically to target one-week races this year and Tour for stage wins. He could have been team leader if he wanted to.

Now you can't tell Kruijswijk mid-season to **** off.
Steven, you're actually good in the first week of May. Pack your bags, get your ass to Jarusalem.

TRENDING THREADS