• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Today in a press conference for Slovenian media he said that the Giro has taken a lot more energies out of him than he had hoped for. He will sit down next week with team management and they'll decide together for what is best for him going forward. One could sense even he doesn't want to ride the Tour. It would simply be too much.

I hope that Roglic now has more authority within the team to decide his race schedule. It seems until now that Kruijswijk has always been considered the default leader even when Roglic is in better form. Kruijswijk is Dutch, been there a long time,and almost won 2016 Giro but it's been obvious for a while Roglic is much better. Roglic actually wins things Kruijswijk doesn't. Would be a real waste to send Roglic to the Tour to ride for Kruijswijk.

Sorry to say but the above is simply not true. They knew full and well Roglic is better and probably leader. They just wanted to protect Roglic since in most cases it was the 1st time he was doing a big race as hopeful. THey never let him actually work for Kruijswijk. Never. More the other way around, Kruijswijk worked for Roglic a lot. Even though on paper they were co leaders

For him it would probably be better if he rested, but for the team having Roglic in the TTT and him being able to support in some crucial moments during a couple of the hard stages would probably be good. Especially if Kruijswijk is going great.

I can see the teams reasoning, and other factors such as having him there for commercial reasons.

If Roglic shows up in poor form, cant perform and fulfill his duties it wont be a good decision to send him there though, obviously. I guess thats what the team has to make a call about together with Roglic or if it is better that he rests both physically and mentally to focus on the Vuelta instead.

It's actually easy to explain.

They had a plan with Gesink and de Plus as last men. And Bouwman/Tolhoek/etc earlier in the train. Gesink fell away before the race, De Plus in the race. Plan done.

Not anyone can be Ineos with 15 backup possibilities.
The criticism is unwarranted as you can basically only blame them for not having the budget to have 10 Laurens de Plusses/Gesinks like Ineos.

Imagine if at Bahrein Pozzo and Caruso had fallen away. Then Nibali would have 0 support as well.
Or if at Movistar Pedrero, Landa and Amador had fallen. Who would've taken over?

Get my point?

Re:

Moviefan1203 said:
Roglic’s lack of support at the Giro was hard to fathom.

Losing his climbers is easy to explain. Losing his team car is quite another matter! Piss in a cup for goodness sake but don't leave your rider standing at the side of the road with no bike having to wait for a teammate to get up from behind to give him one. And the verbal lack of support from his DS in interviews also sucked. Only time I every agreed with Wiggo :lol:

Re:

Dekker_Tifosi said:
It's actually easy to explain.

They had a plan with Gesink and de Plus as last men. And Bouwman/Tolhoek/etc earlier in the train. Gesink fell away before the race, De Plus in the race. Plan done.

Not anyone can be Ineos with 15 backup possibilities.
The criticism is unwarranted as you can basically only blame them for not having the budget to have 10 Laurens de Plusses/Gesinks like Ineos.

Imagine if at Bahrein Pozzo and Caruso had fallen away. Then Nibali would have 0 support as well.
Or if at Movistar Pedrero, Landa and Amador had fallen. Who would've taken over?

Get my point?

What about peegate?

Re: Re:

Carols said:
Moviefan1203 said:

Losing his climbers is easy to explain. Losing his team car is quite another matter! Piss in a cup for goodness sake but don't leave your rider standing at the side of the road with no bike having to wait for a teammate to get up from behind to give him one. And the verbal lack of support from his DS in interviews also sucked. Only time I every agreed with Wiggo :lol:

I thought Wiggo's takes on the Giro and cycling in general were pretty good especially on the TT stages.

movingtarget said:
Carols said:
Moviefan1203 said:

I thought Wiggo's takes on the Giro and cycling in general were pretty good especially on the TT stages.

I was watching commercial free on Flobikes with 2 great announcers, I don't remember their names. I only saw that one interview with Wiggo on youtube because someone posted the link here. So I have no opinion on his other commentary :).

Carols said:
Lequack said:
Jumbo Visma has confirmed he's not riding the Tour, Laurens de Plus will be replacing him. Robert Gesink is also missing from the squad (replaced by Wout van Aert), seems like he's still not fully recovered from the crash (broken pelvis).
https://www.teamjumbovisma.com/article/winningtogether/team-jumbo-visma-with-sprint-and-gc-ambitions-to-tour-de-france/

Good News! He needed some recovery!

Very happy to see this. Hoping Gesink will be able to do the Vuelta, also.

Jumbo might actually have a very scary mountain team in the Vuelta. Roglič and Gesink for sure, then Kruiswijk who usually does both GTs and at least one of Bennet and De Plus, maybe both. Looks like Primož will actually have the support in the Vuelta this time!

bajbar said:
Red Rick said:
Is Roglic even confirmed for the Vuelta?

I mean, what else is he going to race. Even with the Giro he doesn't really have many race days. And him not going to the Tour is a clear sign that they are going for La Vuelta (and then probably the worlds ITT and some Italian one day races).

I'm not denying it's by far the best option.

I'm just done underestimating the weird decisions of team managers :D

TRENDING THREADS