• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 47 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Such a great bounce back performance from Rogla. He is a warrior. Nice to see the injuries from the crash aren't serious. Considering this was his first race after the Giro, other than an appearance at the Nationals, it's pretty safe to assume he'll only get better in the following days. If everything goes according to plan, he'll be hard to beat, despite the misfortune in the opening TTT.

Such a great bounce back performance from Rogla. He is a warrior. Nice to see the injuries from the crash aren't serious. Considering this was his first race after the Giro, other than an appearance at the Nationals, it's pretty safe to assume he'll only get better in the following days. If everything goes according to plan, he'll be hard to beat, despite the misfortune in the opening TTT.
It makes sense what you said but I think roglic is a rider who has a tremendous base level (similar to valverde) and he is always in shape despite being away from racing since the giro. I don't think he will improve his level

Reactions: Sandisfan
Tomorrow he really needs his teammates, especially now with Kruijswik gone.
Pic from today, almost looks like he's dozing off. :)

EC_Ap5NWsAE7mql.jpg:large

And another:

EC-6FShXYAAeWBb.jpg:large

Solid performance by Roglič and his team on stage 5. Teaming up with Valverde and not trying to push too much too soon (bonification seconds). López does look strong, but currently i am happy Roglič is close enough and isn't wearing the red jersey just yet. Madrazo deserved the win.

On stage 5, Roglič looked better than I would have expected/hoped after the stage 1 disaster happened. It looks like he's managing his recovery well. Too bad about Kruijswijk . . . but when a knee takes a beating, sometimes there's not much to be done.

Best news of the day is Kuss performance. If the American can consistently climb with the top riders for three weeks Roglic has an excellent shot at the Roja.

Superman is a monster climber but normally finds ways to lose time here and there and I don't trust Valverde in GTs at this point of his career.

Miguel Angel Lopez, while a great climber, never really takes that much time on mountain stages against the other good climbers. He's always close to the best climbers in the race, and on some days he is the best, but he takes and loses 10-20 seconds here and there and then he loses a truck load of time in the ITT.

Only times when MAL takes bigger time in the mountains is on the finishes like San Martino di Castrozza where he launches a bit early and nobody is bothered to keep him close cause he's not close in GC anymore

Reactions: Cookster15
Tomorrow is a big day for him. He's great on those kinds of climbs if they're shorter, but at 16 minutes it should still be in his wheelhouse.
I don't know what to expect. He has both struggled or looked amazing on this kind of terrain in the past. I think he's had some difficulties when those gradients were too extreme for too long. Today's climb looks somewhat in between so who knows.

Think it's mostly dependent on form. If he's good he's great on those kind of climb.
Just wondering, what do you think are the benchmarks for todays climb? Mende in last years tdf, the Tirreno Adriatico muritos from this and last year and the Pais Vasco muritos from last year? Am I forgetting something?
Anyway his performances on those climbs have indeed varied a lot. Mende might be his most impressive climbing performance against top opposition to date but the gradients there aren't quite as brutal. Unfortunately for Roglic I think the climb from those races that reminds me most of todays finish was Arrate last season where he struggled a lot, but yeah, I think he'll be fine today. The big positive for him might be that Lopez doesn't seem to like these sort of finishes either. Maybe this is Valverde's big day

Just wondering, what do you think are the benchmarks for todays climb? Mende in last years tdf, the Tirreno Adriatico muritos from this and last year and the Pais Vasco muritos from last year? Am I forgetting something?
Anyway his performances on those climbs have indeed varied a lot. Mende might be his most impressive climbing performance against top opposition to date but the gradients there aren't quite as brutal. Unfortunately for Roglic I think the climb from those races that reminds me most of todays finish was Arrate last season where he struggled a lot, but yeah, I think he'll be fine today. The big positive for him might be that Lopez doesn't seem to like these sort of finishes either. Maybe this is Valverde's big day
The Arrate stage is not quite comparable imo. He crashed in the beginning of the stage and had to chase solo for 20 km. Not surprising he struggled in the end when he was more tired and probably hurting from the crash. Prior to that, he was dominant on the climbs.

Mende, Civiglio, Pais Vasco, Tirreno murito's pretty much.

Civiglio is a big stretch

TRENDING THREADS