• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 64 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
If one, send Dumoulin to the Giro.

I'm not sure who of the two has the bigger chance at winning the Tour, but Dumoulin has a way better shot at the Giro in my opinion.

I'd simply ask both which they want to ride. I assume they've talked about this at length before the routes were disclosed and from what I gather Dumoulin seems more open to riding the Giro anyways.
Yes, that would be the best solution.

Yes, that would be the best solution.
Funnily enough I see a lot of Dutch people thinking Kruijswijk has a chance to win either. Somehow they convinced themselves Kruijswijk is one of the best climbers in the world.

Dumoulin is once again forced to choose between being the favorite in the Giro and having almost no shot in the Tour. But then I'm kind of at a loss of how to rate his climbing. Probably prefer Dumoulin/Groenewegen in the Giro and Roglic/Kruijswijk in the Tour.

Then Dumoulin has to decide what the best route to Tokyo is. I think Tokyo ITT is the main reason for Dumoulin to choose Tour over Giro honestly.

Lastly, Groenewegen is already talking about the Tour and about getting helpers for the Tour. That just shouldn't happen.

I think the Tour climbs suit Roglic better because they are steeper but mostly smaller and at lower altitude. The lack of time-trial may be a relative problem but I don't think it will keep him out of the Tour.

Regarding Dumoulin, the Giro route is clearly better for him and I still think he could target both the RR and the TT in Tokyo which would make a Tour GC attempt just foolish.

I still think Groenewegen will do the Tour and the Giro before, because he is Dutch, which would sadly put an halt to a possible Van Aert green jersey ambition.

Last edited:
It's Roglič 30 birthday today, happy birthday!

P.S. Roglič hinted in some interview, he will likely attend the TDF 2020. Although not all that much ITT kilometers involved, Roglič said the only one (Stage 20) suits him and he will try to make a difference there (yellow jersey).

Yes, it was more or less on the plan all along, back from the 2017, to attend TDF 2020 and go for the win. I guess this therefore just needs to happen, as that is where both the heart and the mind are ATM.

P.S. Other GT riders in TJV need to decide, if they want to be a part of a TJVT (Team Jumbo Visma Train), or to go after a win on another GT race in 2020, or to do both. Racing against Roglič on TDF 2020, that isn't something that makes all that much sense.

Reactions: glassmoon
Roglic for Tour makes a lot more sense. That will allow him to target the Ardennes in top shape as well if he wants to.

Roglic could do the same trick as Fuglsang on Mur De Huy but since he is more explosive, he might be able to dethrone Alaphilippe. He could also copy Fuglsang's attack on Faucons and TT all the way to the finish line.

Primož Roglič has won Slovenian sportsman of the year award. This year the competition was great. Tim Gaiser, MXGP World Motocross Champion, was third and Luka Dončić, NBA Rookie of the Year, was second.

P.S. When asked, Roglič didn't want to reveal any details at all, regarding the next season. As all will get revealed on the 20 December, but i somehow feel, that Roglič is going to Tour!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
Primož Roglič has won Slovenian sportsman of the year award. This year the competition was great. Tim Gaiser, MXGP World Motocross Champion, was third and Luka Dončić, NBA Rookie of the Year, was second.

P.S. When asked, Roglič didn't want to reveal any details at all, regarding the next season. As all will get revealed on the 20 December, but i somehow feel, that Roglič is going to Tour!

Looking handsome today at the awards

xYNbWI1.jpg

iT2IaWR.jpg

And here he is with the Slovenian sportswoman of the yearJanja Garnbret

LOHg0t5.jpg

Reactions: Carols
I’m confused. The consensus seems to be that Roglic is a level above Dumoulin. Is this based on the assumption that Dumoulin will not return to form or that Roglic will continue to improve? I am not sure what Roglic has shown to indicate he is above 2017-2018 Dumoulin. 2/2 Giro Tour behind Froome/GT is super impressive. I expect him to be at least on par with Roglic. Personally, I think they should both go to the Tour. Ineos does that to great effect. Roglic is ready to prove himself at the Tour; Dumoulin has already won the Giro and come so close in the Tour. Send them both and may the best man win.

I’m confused. The consensus seems to be that Roglic is a level above Dumoulin. Is this based on the assumption that Dumoulin will not return to form or that Roglic will continue to improve? I am not sure what Roglic has shown to indicate he is above 2017-2018 Dumoulin. 2/2 Giro Tour behind Froome/GT is super impressive. I expect him to be at least on par with Roglic. Personally, I think they should both go to the Tour. Ineos does that to great effect. Roglic is ready to prove himself at the Tour; Dumoulin has already won the Giro and come so close in the Tour. Send them both and may the best man win.
Where do you read that?

I think the most general consensus is they're very close and Roglic is probably better outside of GTs.

I suspect Roglic is going to the Giro more because of the Olympics.
IIRC Roglic said he was aiming for the Tour a while ago. I think Dumoulin Giro and Roglic Tour makes much more sense than the other way around, and Dumoulin seems more hung up on the Olympics.

Thing is sponsor will demand Dumoulin ride the Tour anyway most probably, and if Roglic doesn't ride the Vuelta after the Tour, Jumbo will effectively waste the Vuelta GC as a result, no matter how many countrymen knock on my door to ask me if I've accepted Steven Kruijswijk into my life yet.

Reactions: 20well
Dumoulin and TJV hinted, that the knee injury has fully recovered. In that case Dumoulin going to Giro and Roglič to Tour makes the most sense to me. Kruijswijk is therefore going to Vuelta. Now i guess the question remains, are Dumoulin and Kruijswijk going to the Tour, or not. If not i feel that TJV wanted to make everybody happy, but is using a rather risky tactics, when it comes to teams such as the Team INEOS and competing in Tour.

P.S. As for who is better, it depends. In 2019 Roglič was the best and as for the 2020, lets wait and see. There are just too many factors involved, that make a season. One crash Roglič had in 2019, could have made the season 2019 much different for him.

In competitive team sports sometimes a training schedule indeed needs to be adjusted a bit, for the team to stay healthy, until the competitions actually starts. On a bit less serious note, i wonder if Roglič has something to do with it. Pushing the pedals a bit to hard already? Best to wait and see as Paris–Nice is just around the corner.

TRENDING THREADS