• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 74 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglič has initiated long range attacks already in the past, on Tour, being successful at it.

Saying he is a boring rider, that just make no sense. Just say you are not a big fan and get over it. Roglič is now up there, with the likes of Pantani, Contador, Froome ... one of the immortals of pro cycling.

Yikes!!! I'm a fan but he needs a lot more palmares to be classed with the likes of Contador, Pantani, Nibali etc.

• Haha
Reactions: JosephK
“The crash in the Dauphiné wasn’t the way that I planned things coming into the Tour because I had a lot of pain. After a few days it’s normally okay but I had to make a last-minute decision, last Tuesday, that I would go to the Tour. I was then confident entering the Tour, that, sure with some luck, I could come through the first few days, but it’s getting better and everything has gone perfectly,” Roglič said.
When you have doubts about going to the Tour but you still win a stage and the yellow jersey..

• Love
Reactions: Carols
No it's not. It is three weeks long. As it is every year. In fact, every GT is about three weeks long. 21 stages. Every. Single. Time.

I hate this kind of nonsenseical babble. It's the exact same thing football clubs say after every season. "It's been a long and hard season." No it hasn't, you've played the exact same number of games as last year and the year before that. It doesn't really mean anything when people say stuff like that.

Except for the Vuelta this year which is 'only' 18 stages.

But I get your point, and I agree. Every season is the best season ever, and so forth. In Australia our 'football' is a little different as we have a league season and then finals on top of that, and so it is all about making the finals. The most overdone phrase is "must win game". A team might be 1 win behind the team who is in the last final spot with 5 games in the normal season remaining, and everyone will go on and on about it being a must win game. Then they lose, but the following week it is still possible (at least mathematically) for them to make the finals, and so it is yet another must win game. They can never just be sensible and say, "This is a very important game for this team, and if they don't win, then they would be unlikely to see success this season." But nobody ever seems to be that sensible.

I just read a long interview with ex Slovenian pro (Čerin) that is also a big friend with Roglič. And he had more info about his injurie. It was not a crash itself that was the problem, but Roglič developed a very big and nasty hematoma (i hope this is right in English) that prevented him from sitting straight on a bike. So they worked very hard to reduce it and make it less painful, so he could sit straight and pedal right.

God, I had not read this thread recently as I have nothing against Roglic but am not thrilled by him either. Up there with Pantani and Froome? It's early morning for me and I'm not sure whether to just have another coffee or doubt my mind, lol.

We had this discussion a few days back. If Roglič is currently still underrated, or not. I feel it is safe to assume, currently Roglič is still underrated.

P.S. Luckily he is working hard on fixing that.

We had this discussion a few days back. If Roglič is currently still underrated, or not. I feel it is safe to assume, currently Roglič is still underrated.

Not that high maybe, but if either Primož or Egan win the Tour they would join the club of multiple GT winners. And the only 4 that have managed that in the past 15 years are Contador, Froome, Nibali and Quintana.

I am not talking about a general ability here, Pantani is dead, Contador has retired and Froome may be close to the end of his career while I have no idea what Roglic will do in the future. (But you could say that about most current riders.) But those guys you named are absolute legends, and Roglic is far from one (yet) and there is a lot he has to do to become one. Not saying that's impossible for him.

P.S: I thought it was not just about what results a rider has, because Pantani's records are not that amazing. But he's one of the biggest "names" in cycling ever... (Contador has been extremely popular because of his style, more than his results, I think.)

I think legends have certain character (on and off the bike) and people love them for it. They are interesting, fun and produce very good results. Roglič probably won't lack in results department at the end, but he's not outspoken, very interesting, emotional and comes from the wrong country. He's hard to connect with. He's riding is a bit more "robotic", by the book, no real swings left or right. So yeah, he will be Slovenian legend forever because of his results (and i dare to say modern Jumbo Visma legend also), but to become a legend of cycling overall, he will have to produce a lot more.

But still not so bad for ex ski jumper turned pro at 23, right.

P.S: I thought it was not just about what results a rider has, because Pantani's records are not that amazing. But he's one of the biggest "names" in cycling ever... (Contador has been extremely popular because of his style, more than his results, I think.)

It's not just the results in the case of Pantani it's the Total Panache not to mention the last guy to do the Giro/Tour double in 1998. That's 22 years ago folks; BIG Results. He was a Live Wire in any race he rode; dropped Them All, time after time from 1990 to 1999. Legend!
Contador Won 7(9) GTs and was the most attacking rider seen since Pantani. His Stellar Results, his Panache and Win or Die trying attitude made him a Legend!

I do not hand out the Legend label easily after watching 60 years of riders come and go.

Nibali's record is Stunning and he is an attacking rider. He will be recognized on the Immortal/Legend list. He is the Best all-rounder in the peloton, no competition right now.

Primoz has to earn his Immortal or Legend label yet, he has a ways to go. But he has time to do it, barring health issues.

Not that high maybe, but if either Primož or Egan win the Tour they would join the club of multiple GT winners. And the only 4 that have managed that in the past 15 years are Contador, Froome, Nibali and Quintana.
Denis Menchov would like a word. As would Ivan Basso actually.

But yes it would be a great achievement. If he wins the Tour, Roglic could well go on to become only the 5th person in the last 30 years to win all 3 grand tours, if he were to win the Girl at some point.

I'm looking ahead a bit but he's probably the best stage racer in the world right now and doesn't look like slowing down.

I don't want to be rude but that comment comparing Roglič to Contador, Froome and Pantani was laughable, sorry. He has won a lot but let him win his first Tour first, please. Then he needs to remain on this level for at least the next 3 or 4 years and win a couple Tours more and a Giro and a Vuelta. Then we can talk and have him in the conversation.

Let's compare him for now to the riders he is battling with at this moment at the Tour and stop there. That's the only important comparison right now.

Towards the end of his career we can draw a line and put him in his place in history. I've no doubt in my mind he will win a lot more in the future if he stays healthy. But for now focus on the next stage, as Rogla would say.

I think legends have certain character (on and off the bike) and people love them for it. They are interesting, fun and produce very good results. Roglič probably won't lack in results department at the end, but he's not outspoken, very interesting, emotional and comes from the wrong country. He's hard to connect with. He's riding is a bit more "robotic", by the book, no real swings left or right. So yeah, he will be Slovenian legend forever because of his results (and i dare to say modern Jumbo Visma legend also), but to become a legend of cycling overall, he will have to produce a lot more.

Roglic does try to communicate in English in interviews and he may justifiably be very careful not to misspeak. His team and mates are dedicated to the GC and his riding reflects the support he has and is not wasteful of their efforts.
Having watched his Vuelta we shouldn't take for granted that he can handle himself with much less support when necessary; which may be the case at some point. Watching him ride away on a descent from Froome, Geraint and Dumo for a stage win convinced me he has enough panache. Give the dude some time and he will eventually sway some folks that want a more animate team leader. Like many; I'm hoping we're looking at the real deal.

You can bet Froome will go down a legend and he has the charisma of wet toilet paper

Roglic has potential, certainly, but in terms of legendary status, he is far from Pantani, Contador, and Froome. He's also far below Nibali. His own teammate, Dumoulin, is ahead of him with a legendary post-poop performance, Giro victory, and 2/2 Giro/Tour against true legend Froome, among others.

You can bet Froome will go down a legend and he has the charisma of wet toilet paper

In regard to charisma, I'm guessing Roglic and Froome are, basically, introverts, whereas Pantani, Contador, Alaphilippe, etc. are extroverts. While this isn't always true, I think introverts have a harder time building a compelling persona off the bike because they don't thrive on the energy and interactions with the press, etc. Unlike, say, an Armstrong, who still revels in his own myth-making on the Move.

Side note: I just read Froome's book and he talks a bit about his lack of charisma and stifling, boring politeness, which is the exact opposite of rock n roll. I won't get into the clinic questions his book raised (no particular explanation for sudden jump in form from Tour of Poland to Vuelta in 2011), but if you are awed by Roglic's rise from where he started, you should give Froome more credit. His developmental days riding for Kenya were a joke compared to 99.99% of the peloton. He also pulls no punches in that book, giving the straight truth on his relationship with Wiggins, Brailsford, etc. I didn't appreciate his disrespect for my man Contador, but I did come to appreciate him more throughout the book. Interesting perspective on the tactics he used and his own perception of the Vuelta 2011, Tour 2012, and Tour 2013, stage by stage. /digression

TRENDING THREADS