• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 75 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
One think I've noticed about Primoz is his upper body is much more muscular than other stage racers and most non-sprinters. As a female I must say it is quite attractive. But is it a plus or minus for him as a GC contender?
I think these guys are so skinny that even small amounts of muscle mass stand out, especially with the skinsuits they're wearing nowadays.

The weight difference won't be big at all, and arm muscle probably helps some in stuff like sprinting and standing on the pedals.

Pinot probably also has slightly higher upper body mass than a few others.

Reactions: Carols
You can bet Froome will go down a legend and he has the charisma of wet toilet paper

You can be introverted and have charisma. I don't think Froome doesn't have any.

Re: first half - definitely. Can just be a bit tougher. Froome talked about how Wiggins was all charisma with the press and then had nothing left for anyone on the team.

Re: second half - are you saying that Froome does have charisma and that charisma is akin to the non-zero charisma of wet toilet paper? Or did the negatives get the best of your statement?

Roglic has potential, certainly, but in terms of legendary status, he is far from Pantani, Contador, and Froome. He's also far below Nibali. His own teammate, Dumoulin, is ahead of him with a legendary post-poop performance, Giro victory, and 2/2 Giro/Tour against true legend Froome, among others.

In regard to charisma, I'm guessing Roglic and Froome are, basically, introverts, whereas Pantani, Contador, Alaphilippe, etc. are extroverts. While this isn't always true, I think introverts have a harder time building a compelling persona off the bike because they don't thrive on the energy and interactions with the press, etc. Unlike, say, an Armstrong, who still revels in his own myth-making on the Move.

Side note: I just read Froome's book and he talks a bit about his lack of charisma and stifling, boring politeness, which is the exact opposite of rock n roll. I won't get into the clinic questions his book raised (no particular explanation for sudden jump in form from Tour of Poland to Vuelta in 2011), but if you are awed by Roglic's rise from where he started, you should give Froome more credit. His developmental days riding for Kenya were a joke compared to 99.99% of the peloton. He also pulls no punches in that book, giving the straight truth on his relationship with Wiggins, Brailsford, etc. I didn't appreciate his disrespect for my man Contador, but I did come to appreciate him more throughout the book. Interesting perspective on the tactics he used and his own perception of the Vuelta 2011, Tour 2012, and Tour 2013, stage by stage. /digression

I'd say Contador is also an introvert. And I don't quite see him as being a charismatic guy.

In fact, nowadays with the political correctness thing it's getting harder to identify charismatic riders. Apart from Sagan, Evenepoel and a couple more others, the majority of them seem rather "bland".

Reactions: Sandisfan
In regard to charisma, I'm guessing Roglic and Froome are, basically, introverts, whereas Pantani, Contador, Alaphilippe, etc. are extroverts. While this isn't always true, I think introverts have a harder time building a compelling persona off the bike because they don't thrive on the energy and interactions with the press, etc. Unlike, say, an Armstrong, who still revels in his own myth-making on the Move.
Pantani was one of the biggest introverts in sports. He'd be alone most of the time, didn't really like to talk to press, often trained by himself. Come to think about it, I don't recall ever seeing him laugh (but my memory could be the problem here).
He was charismatic in his own way, but his legendary status mostly comes from what he did on the bike and perhaps from his odd appeareance: bald at young age, slender figure, wearing a bandana.

Froome looks a lot more extrovert to me, at least this is the impression I gather from social media and interviews. Roglic, I don't know. I guess he's very good at hiding his feeling.

Reactions: Red Rick
Pantani was one of the biggest introverts in sports. He'd be alone most of the time, didn't really like to talk to press, often trained by himself. Come to think about it, I don't recall ever seeing him laugh (but my memory could be the problem here).
He was charismatic in his own way, but his legendary status mostly comes from what he did on the bike and perhaps from his odd appeareance: bald at young age, slender figure, wearing a bandana.

Froome looks a lot more extrovert to me, at least this is the impression I gather from social media and interviews. Roglic, I don't know. I guess he's very good at hiding his feeling.
Yeah in cycling most of the charisma you think of is just from riding the bike. I reckon Froome is more extraverted than both Contador and Nibali.

I think these guys are so skinny that even small amounts of muscle mass stand out, especially with the skinsuits they're wearing nowadays.

The weight difference won't be big at all, and arm muscle probably helps some in stuff like sprinting and standing on the pedals.

Pinot probably also has slightly higher upper body mass than a few others.

You would think a former ski jumper would be like the most slender rider in the peloton but no...
I'm pretty sure tho he has less muscle mass than your average 30 year old. Just those usually aren't as skinny and u don't really see it.
Vinokourov was also pretty muscular back in the day. I guess today he would really look huge among those super light climbers. With his Peresourde record just being broken by Pogacar he could still stay with the favorite group tho

You would think a former ski jumper would be like the most slender rider in the peloton but no...
I'm pretty sure tho he has less muscle mass than your average 30 year old. Just those usually aren't as skinny and u don't really see it.
Vinokourov was also pretty muscular back in the day. I guess today he would really look huge among those super light climbers. With his Peresourde record just being broken by Pogacar he could still stay with the favorite group tho
Pretty much. It's also very largely body proportions and sometimes even bike positioning. Roglic might just shorter arms and legs, thus making them look wider, more muscular than they are. And you see him next to complete twigs all the time

You need to watch some of the Pantani vids on you tube. He was quite a party animal when not in training :)

Reactions: ThePirate81
One think I've noticed about Primoz is his upper body is much more muscular than other stage racers and most non-sprinters. As a female I must say it is quite attractive. But is it a plus or minus for him as a GC contender?
That stature is probably more natural than a pure product of training. This is a speculative endorsement of his physique: I think he has developed his riding style without the abuse of extreme weight loss as a goal and his time-trialing is a reflection of that general style and strength. Dumo is hardly a rail, nor is Pinot. They have individual strengths but seem to go with what comes natural in terms of style.
There was a photo of Rasmussen at the beach after competing a Tour that I won't post. It's way too scary and an example of the other extreme.

Roglic is really talented, but a very boring rider. His style of riding guarantees wins but it doesn't create a lasting impression on the fans.
Please ****h. Only last year.
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Hqd7blg_Q

Maybe uphil sprint, destroying opponents isn't entertaining anymore. But since when? Since Rogla isn't Belgian o Spanish? C'mon.
Don't look trough the prism of Jumble TdF tactics (some kind of marginal gains)

That's the day after tomorrow. It's a very hard stage to control though, so I don't think Jumbo will try to control the break.

Tomorrow is probably a reduced group sprint or a breakaway.
stage 12, that tomorrow

also bonus sec on last climb; he should win this if they control the break and they should; a lot of seconds here
Looks like Tirreno Adriatico profile

Last edited:
  • Haha
stage 12, that tomorrow

also bonus sec on last climb; he should win this if they control the break and they should; a lot of seconds here
Looks like Tirreno Adriatico profile
Lol I had missed bonus seconds on there.

It's getting silly.

Probably a big breakaway would win those. I don't see TJV wasting that much energy given what's about to come. The most important thing for them is to able to defend it.

I think Jumbo won't shy away from taking the seconds on the climb if it's not too much work, but winning the stage with Roglic for all 18 seconds is very very unlikely.

Reactions: Luthor
Lol I had missed bonus seconds on there.

It's getting silly.

I think Jumbo won't shy away from taking the seconds on the climb if it's not too much work, but winning the stage with Roglic for all 18 seconds is very very unlikely.
I'm not even sure the finish is hard enough for Roglic. Sure he can try winning 8s on the climb but it won't be just him who will be interested in them.
284cb

I'm not even sure the finish is hard enough for Roglic. Sure he can try winning 8s on the climb but it won't be just him who will be interested in them.
284cb
If it's the same finish as in 2001 then it's tough enough to give it a go.
Cool

I didn't know the finish but I assumed it was just a slight uphill drag in a reduced bunch which would be too much to ask for Roglic.

Interesting article:

I don't feel we will get to see 4 Colombians working together in the mountains. But as for the mano a mano type of scenario, that López talks about, that is more likely to happen.

P.S. As for Roglič and his charisma. I guess harder to pin point as people aren't all that interested, until big success starts to emerge. One thing Roglič has is a good poker face.

Interesting article:

I don't feel we will get to see 4 Colombians working together in the mountains. But as for the mano a mano type of scenario, that López talks about, that is more likely to happen.

P.S. As for Roglič and his charisma. I guess harder to pin point as people aren't all that interested, until big success starts to emerge. One thing Roglič has is a good poker face.
Question is what is more right now. 4 Columbians or 2 Slovenians. I'm sure Pogačar and Roglič would work together if needed. Or 4 vs 1 and Pogačar does a Carapaz.

Are you not entertained? :)

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS