• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 80 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not over yet, but amazing riding so far, by him and his team.

01277a9508bb5ce262f1_62460163.jpg

Interesting information from the owner of first pro team, Roglič was in (Adria Mobil). After they decided to take Roglič in the team (as an amateur with no experience), boss had to go two times to the main sponsor and defend his decision. It was very hard for him to convince Adria (sponsor) for this move.

On the question when were they sure, Roglič is a real deal, he said on a race from Zagreb (Croatia) do Novo mesto (Slovenia. Team Adria Mobil is from Novo mesto) when Roglič was riding in a break away group with 9 other riders and team decided not to pull the peloton closer (everybody was sure Adria will pull because of home town finish and they had good sprinters in the team). No one knew Roglič and no one thought he could win except team Adria Mobil bosses. Roglič won the race with long sprint and amazing power.

True, you can always buy a bigger trophy cabinet.
I've honestly really come to find that worrying about overall numbers of wins etc really isn't good for the overall enjoyment of the sport. Made the mistake of caring too much about the Slam race in tennis, didn't even enjoy half the Slams players I liked won in the last few years.

If I start rooting against or for Roglic based on him overtaking Froome or Nibali now it's gonna drive me nuts.

He did an interview today right after the stage for the national TV again (after quite a while actually, it helped that the journalists could actually be at the line today)

The reporter: "Was it an easier stage today?"

"Yes, today was a completely slow stage, I think we all got alllll our strenght back" sarcasm, barely holding back the smile

The reporter: But tomorrow is completely something else (just here she realised he was trolling here and started smiling herself). How will you deal with the challenge tomorrow?

"Yeah, as good as we can. This job has been done, now there is the TT left. So I will have to regenerate a good as that is possible at this time in the race and prepare for the fight tomorrow."

The reporter: "Is there enough strenght left?"

"Yeah, there is enough strenght, I am healthy and we will see what that means tomorrow!"

It was funny to see Rogla trolling her, I think she is so used to his generic answers she didn't really get it at the start. But you know, if you ask stupid questions you deserve to get an answer like that back. Simmilar to that, she interviewed Pogačar a couple of minutes before and asked him if he is going to change his bike tomorrow. He was a bit annoyed and said "I already told in previous interviews that you will have to wait till the race and see what happens on TV!" So let us just say she didn't have the best day today (and even Mezgec threw some jokes at her haha).

A very nice interview (in French, but google tranlete into English works surprisingly well) with the owner of the hotel where Jumbo had their training camps in Tignes about Primož as a person. It also goes into detail in decribing the aftermath of his crash in the Dauphine, how they have dealt with it and is all in all a great read! Recommend!

Maybe, but it will take a TDF level machenic what 1hr to set up a brand new bike with that not even the rider would know is different unless you tell them...
If you're ahead in the Tour after, what 70 hrs in the saddle; you'd know exactly what you were sitting on. Bottom brackets can be a pain on carbon frames, too. I'm a little superstitious and always liked my race bike most.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Really sad for him, but not so much for the team as there's been too much success with defensive train tactics in the Tour in recent years.

In hindsight, I think that without the team as strong as JV was this Tour, he would have been worn out earlier, like in last years Giro. He had the reason to be careful with his efforts and avoid open warfare as much as possible. Right now it seems that his recovery is somewhat suspect over 3 weeks, a theory his repeated subpar perfomances in 3rd week TT-s tend to support. I know that all the previous ones have seemingly solid reasons for them, nevertheless, a pattern is clearly emerging.

In last Vuelta, no-one was close enough to push him to the limit, but by now Pogacar had developed enough to do just that. Hopefully its not his best shot at Tour gone begging now. It really shouldn't be, but you never know with new guard rising so rapidly.

I am sad right now... Slovenia just got 1st and 2nd in the Tour in my favourite sport... yet I am sad. Primož is and was the rider I cheer for the most. The whole plan for the past 3 years was to win the Tour 2020. We watched countless documentaries, followed his life, everything went perfectly, the team was perfect, he was prefect. This was his year, this was his Tour.

And then it all went wrong. In one stage. Where he should have won...It is so horrible because I should be so excited about what Tadej achieved. But I cannot be because I am so dissapointed...

I am sad right now... Slovenia just got 1st and 2nd in the Tour in my favourite sport... yet I am sad. Primož is and was the rider I cheer for the most. The whole plan for the past 3 years was to win the Tour 2020. We watched countless documentaries, followed his life, everything went perfectly, the team was perfect, he was prefect. This was his year, this was his Tour.

And then it all went wrong. In one stage. Where he should have won...It is so horrible because I should be so excited about what Tadej achieved. But I cannot be because I am so dissapointed...

Yes I understand. Everything was there for him except Super legs on the very last day :(. Tadej was Flying, no one alive was beating him today. He made All of them look 2nd rate.

Hopefully Primoz has another shot next year and doesn't take the jersey so early. He must be totally devastated. He has so much Class the first thing he does as soon as he can walk is go hug Tadej. He's a special guy :).

Solvenia should be dancing in the streets. Finishing 1-2 in le Tour is an outstanding accomplishment!

Feel gutted for Roglic. Ordinarily, I would be ecstatic to hear Poga has won a grand tour, let alone the TDF, but I felt this was maybe Roglic's best shot at winning the big one. Unlike some other posters, who have made great/valid points, I thought Roglic rode this Tour as well as he could. After his injury at the Dauphine, if you would have told him the day before the start of the TDF that he would have yellow and be leading 2nd place by 57 seconds going into the final time trial, I bet he would have taken that in a heartbeat. He had a good ride today but was beaten by the best rider who did an unbelievable time trial. It is what it is. -- Don't think Roglic should second guess himself at all.

Feel gutted for Roglic. Ordinarily, I would be ecstatic to hear Poga has won a grand tour, let alone the TDF, but I felt this was maybe Roglic's best shot at winning the big one. Unlike some other posters, who have made great/valid points, I thought Roglic rode this Tour as well as he could. After his injury at the Dauphine, if you would have told him the day before the start of the TDF that he would have yellow and be leading 2nd place by 57 seconds going into the final time trial, I bet he would have taken that in a heartbeat. He had a good ride today but was beaten by the best rider who did an unbelievable time trial. It is what it is. -- Don't think Roglic should second guess himself at all.

Exactly. He did a perfect Tour (okay, maybe he should chase Pogi on Peyresourde), everything was great. And he still didn't win. And with how Pogačar rode I cannot see a scenario where he could shake him off... the only stage where Pogi was weaker was Loze.

Reactions: JosephK

I feel your pain. At least your guy showed up for his start time. I was a Pedro Delgado fan in 1989.

Wow, that was very heartbreaking. I don't know if it is because humans relate themselves to people who come so close and fail because it happens to many of us, but I felt very sad for him, especially when he went to congratulate Pogacar. And I'm saying this as someone who did not like Jumbo's style of riding all race. And this may be his biggest chance as well.

That is pro cycling, i guess, ruthless to the core. It can give, it can take. I always liked to cycle and had special relationship with cycling for as long as i can remember. Started to watch pro cycling around Pantani times. A lot of champs i rooted for during all this years. Took me a couple of years to understand, what a GT race is all about. Time did went by, through pro cycling greatest and worst moments. I admit, especially the pro cycling worst moments and things like obsession about consecutive winners, i started to be involved less and less but have come to terms with it. Then Roglič came, brought back all the positive aspects, some romanticism, it pulled me in again 100%, it just felt right again. Wonderful couple of years. It inspired me to the levels i made some long gone personal goals, not related to cycling, a reality again and pulled them through.

Thanks Rogla! You will always be a champ in my book.

I had fun, participating here on the forum. Learned a lot and it was a different experience. In the past i didn't have people knowing much about pro cycling to talk about, here it was all about that. Roglič not winning the Tour 2020, that shook me to the core. I don't want to hear about pro cycling for a while anymore. Have just listened to "The Winner Takes It All" and "We Are The Champions" songs on the YouTube, now i guess back to the normal life again.

Stay well and wish you all lots of positive cycling and beyond cycling experiences.

TRENDING THREADS