• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 81 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I like both riders so whilst I found today’s battle enthralling I wasn’t firmly rooting for either rider.

Sentimentally I love the precocious achievement of youth and the one man army that was Pogacar but equally as romantic in sporting terms is the late conversion to cycling by Roglic and what would have been the culmination of a long term project.

It feels hard with Roglic because it feels like his best chance to win the Tour has just been ripped away from him.

• Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
That is pro cycling, i guess, ruthless to the core. It can give, it can take. I always liked to cycle and had special relationship with cycling for as long as i can remember. Started to watch pro cycling around Pantani times. A lot of champs i rooted for during all this years. Took me a couple of years to understand, what a GT race is all about. Time did went by, through pro cycling greatest and worst moments. I admit, especially the pro cycling worst moments and things like obsession about consecutive winners, i started to be involved less and less but have come to terms with it. Then Roglič came, brought back all the positive aspects, some romanticism, it pulled me in again 100%, it just felt right again. Wonderful couple of years. It inspired me to the levels i made some long gone personal goals, not related to cycling, a reality again and pulled them through.

Thanks Rogla! You will always be a champ in my book.

I had fun, participating here on the forum. Learned a lot and it was a different experience. In the past i didn't have people knowing much about pro cycling to talk about, here it was all about that. Roglič not winning the Tour 2020, that shook me to the core. I don't want to hear about pro cycling for a while anymore. Have just listened to "The Winner Takes It All" and "We Are The Champions" songs on the YouTube, now i guess back to the normal life again.

Stay well and wish you all lots of positive cycling and beyond cycling experiences.

Come back soon. I have enjoyed you and your posts.
Primoz will win again, all is not lost!

Reactions: MTV and Sandisfan

'I am disappointed, I will cry, I did already, but it was how it was. I want it to be a little different, but I cannot change it.'

Bad legs. What a horrible day to have bad legs :sob:

He will bounce back. He is all class and a fighter.

I have mixed feelings. I must admit at first that I was thrilled by Pogi's victory. Why? Because it's the classic underdog love. I've hated how TJV has locked the Tour, like Ineos has done those 7 last years or USP back in the good ol' times. And I must admit that the fact he rode defensively didn't make me cheer for him this Tour.

But, I'm sincerely sad for him because since his TT Giro win a few years back I've liked him and followed him during races. He's done many progress and will get this Tour, trust me. He has the material. Seing him on the ground made me feel guilty and when he came up to cheer Pogi, that was heartbreaking. Strange year, strange Tour indeed. But what a day in history.

I've not read anything yet, but don't you think he did not hold the pressure? He won the Vuelta but the Tour is something else. Might be a factor to consider?

Exactly. He did a perfect Tour (okay, maybe he should chase Pogi on Peyresourde), everything was great. And he still didn't win. And with how Pogačar rode I cannot see a scenario where he could shake him off... the only stage where Pogi was weaker was Loze.
Maybe, but I feel Jumbo/Roglic didn't take every opportunity to put the opposition under pressure. Sure, they controlled the race, but never really used their strong team to create something. It seemed they put all their eggs in the basket of Roglic collecting precious seconds in short sprints and finishing it off in the TT.

Maybe, but I feel Jumbo/Roglic didn't take every opportunity to put the opposition under pressure. Sure, they controlled the race, but never really used their strong team to create something. It seemed they put all their eggs in the basket of Roglic collecting precious seconds in short sprints and finishing it off in the TT.
It's because Roglic has different characteristics than Froome and because this is the only Tour in god knows how long with such an insane ITT at the end. It's the perfect storm.

It's because Roglic has different characteristics than Froome and because this is the only Tour in god knows how long with such an insane ITT at the end. It's the perfect storm.
Yes sure, but if you decide not to really try much, you know you're taking a risk. One off day, one ill-timed mechanical and your screwed. The only time Roglic actually went for it and seemed to give it his all was stage 17 and it was too little, too late. Even on stage 18, when he got a gap on the gravel and Pogacar was struggling, he decided not to push on.

Yes sure, but if you decide not to really try much, you know you're taking a risk. One off day, one ill-timed mechanical and your screwed. The only time Roglic actually went for it and seemed to give it his all was stage 17 and it was too little, too late. Even on stage 18, when he got a gap on the gravel and Pogacar was struggling, he decided not to push on.
One crash in a descent after taking unnecessary risk and you're screwed. He did pay too much attention to others on like 2 stages. Stage 8 IMO he clearly couldn't go with Pogacar but should've done more to limit the losses. Stage 9, when do you see riders attack an effectively 4km climb then solo the home over a descent and 8k of flat? Also didn't get a gap on Pogacar there. Then stage 13. Tried everythign, got no gap. Stage 15 he got beaten. In fact, maybe Pogacars strength on the Peyresourde made Roglic more cautious about attacking him.

I think a lot of this comes down to overplaying Roglic' climbing form to fit the narrative. Contador and Froome have both defended much narrower margins in final ITTs. They also didn't run into performances like Pogacar in that final ITT.

That is pro cycling, i guess, ruthless to the core. It can give, it can take. I always liked to cycle and had special relationship with cycling for as long as i can remember. Started to watch pro cycling around Pantani times. A lot of champs i rooted for during all this years. Took me a couple of years to understand, what a GT race is all about. Time did went by, through pro cycling greatest and worst moments. I admit, especially the pro cycling worst moments and things like obsession about consecutive winners, i started to be involved less and less but have come to terms with it. Then Roglič came, brought back all the positive aspects, some romanticism, it pulled me in again 100%, it just felt right again. Wonderful couple of years. It inspired me to the levels i made some long gone personal goals, not related to cycling, a reality again and pulled them through.

Thanks Rogla! You will always be a champ in my book.

I had fun, participating here on the forum. Learned a lot and it was a different experience. In the past i didn't have people knowing much about pro cycling to talk about, here it was all about that. Roglič not winning the Tour 2020, that shook me to the core. I don't want to hear about pro cycling for a while anymore. Have just listened to "The Winner Takes It All" and "We Are The Champions" songs on the YouTube, now i guess back to the normal life again.

Stay well and wish you all lots of positive cycling and beyond cycling experiences.

I can imagine it hurts like hell, I have watched Messi lose the WC final, the copa final, the next copa final, then there was Anfield, Rome, Bayern... :)
I don't have a cyclist I care about as much, but I feel you. Still, after a while, you may come back, just as Primoz will live and take on more goals.
It's not all about the win, you know. There can even be beauty in losing. The fact that you cared is what matters in the end, in my opinion. If you don't care you've lost already.

Roglic did not crack.
Roglid did not have an off day

Roglic had a sligthly lesser day. But was still 5th. I don't think anything could have saved him from Pogacar today.

I agree.

He finished only 35 seconds behind Dumoulin and Porte. It's just that Pogačar took 1'21" on everyone.

Pogačar was so good that Roglič needed to have a great day to win the Tour and unfortunately for him he didn't.

TRENDING THREADS