• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 86 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It's so very kind of you all to forget about Bala.
I'm pretty sure he'll be fighting for yet another podium at the Vuelta.

Hopefully Roglic and Jumbo don't ride the Vuelta as they rode the Tour. Otherwise, considering teams will be much weaker than the ones at the Tour, is going to be the biggest borefest ever.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Ups, I missed Carapaz. Froome is in his 2010 climbing form. Bala will catch a cold and will be out of contention.
The question is whether they will look at each other if someone goes up the road and Kuss is not strong enough to bring him back. Yeah, too many ifs, not going to happen, Kuss might as well finish 3rd.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Apparently TJV shared Roglic power numbers during the tour, including his TT.

Data Roglic
Etappe 4
Orcières-Merlette:
390 watt = 6,05 w/kilo during 14 minutes and 4 seconds

Etappe 8
Port de Bales: 369 w = 5,7 w/kg
33 min 42
Peyresourde: 389 w = 6,0 w/kg
24 min 25

Etappe 9
Hourceres:
371 w = 5,8 w/kg
3 min 45
Marie Blanque: 395 w = 6,1w/kg
24 min 34
Laatste 4 km: 416 w = 6,4 w/kg
14 min 48

Etappe 13
Col de Neronne:
413 w = 6,4 w/kg
10 min 54
Pas de Peyrol: 407 w = 6,3 w/kg
13 min 49
Last 2,08 km: 445 w = 6,9 w/kg7 min 29

Etappe 15
Selle de Fromentel: 340 w = 5,3 w/kg
34 min 32
Col de la Biche: 358 w = 5,6 w/kg
22 min 08
Grand Colombier: 375 w = 5,8 w/kg
45 min 54

Etappe 17
La Madeleine: 338 w = 5,2 w/ kg
59 min15
Col de la Loze: 356 w = 5,5 w/kg
1 uur 1 min 08
Last 7 km: 364 w = 5,6 w/kg
23 min 18

Etappe 18
Glières:
386 w = 6,0 w/kg
21 min 08

Etappe 20 TT
Totale tijdrit:
369 w = 5,7 w/kg
57 min 41
La Planche (road bike): 388 w = 6,05 w/kg
15 min 31

Conclusion from Thijs Zonneveld:
  1. Roglic was strong all tour, as strong as he's ever been. Consistent level.
  2. Roglic did a strong TT, except for the last 1,5k where he basically gave up (dropping to "just" 334 watt). Last years TT in the Vuelta he did 5,4 w/kg and there he beat Pogacar with 1m29.
  3. He estimates Pogacars TT performance to be between 6,1 and 6,5 w/kg for an hour. Which is crazy strong, the performance of the tour and possibly of the decade.

Last edited:
IIRC there's only comparable data on Peyresourde (where he was good) and PDBF (where he was bad).
This is consistent with the fact that his power to effort duration clearly dropped in PDBF.
For other climbs there is no reference data that can be used for reliable comparisons, so I don't know what to make of those figures but I'll take them as good. They just seem to be ashamed of what they did in Col de la Lusette.

IIRC there's only comparable data on Peyresourde (where he was good) and PDBF (where he was bad).
This is consistent with the fact that his power to effort duration clearly dropped in PDBF.
For other climbs there is no reference data that can be used for reliable comparisons, so I don't know what to make of those figures but I'll take them as good. They just seem to be ashamed of what they did in Col de la Lusette.
PDBF is after 40 minutes of all out flat/rolling ITT then a climb with a bike change. Knowing the time checks if he overextends on the flat ofcourse you're gonna bonk at some point.

They're basically saying Pogacar did like over 10% higher W in his Tour ITT than in the Vuelta ITT last year. Can't compete with that. Can't anticipate that.

Great win, if a bit unexpected. Shows that you always have to fight to the line!

EjfnfDHXcAMfNkz

Today (for LBL), Primož rode very well--as good as he possibly could, which under normal circumstances would have been good enough for 4th in a monument race, a really great result. But because he refused to quit and was in the right spot, he was able to take advantage of a gift from Lady Luck. It speaks to his character that he was good enough to get that gift. Well done.

TRENDING THREADS