• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 91 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
No he doesn’t. All he has is Giro stage wins. The criteria being discussed was at least 3 stage wins in each of the 3 grand tours.
I was kinda replying across 2 posts, which mentioned other non-sprrinter riders' career GT stage win totals. Obviously Ganna hasn't won stages in races he's never contested, but at this early stage would you put your money on him a) doing it or b) not doing it?

I think the annoyance will be having a small enough gear on that TT bike. It's gonna be like 7'30 of climbing, not enough to warrant a switch to a road bike, depending on how much speed they take into that climb.

Maybe if there's one place at the very start especially suited for a switch but I guess not.

I was kinda replying across 2 posts, which mentioned other non-sprrinter riders' career GT stage win totals. Obviously Ganna hasn't won stages in races he's never contested, but at this early stage would you put your money on him a) doing it or b) not doing it?
I would fancy him to get there yes and also to have 15+ stages if given the leeway to go for breakaways again in future Grand Tours.
Others who seem certain to get to that level are Pogacar (3 each in Vuelta and Tour debuts), Evenepoel (presuming full injury recovery), Bernal. Strong chances include Hirschi, Alaphillipe.

I hope you don't think about comparing values with Carapaz. Now that he's at Ineos he'll pull a monstrous ITT
Not sure that’s likely. He had the luxury of soft pedalling the flat part of the Tour ITT and still couldn’t get the time he needed on the climb compared to the guys going flat out on the full course to Claim the KOM jersey.

He is not a disastrous TTer but he will surely lose a fair bit say 1 or 1 and a half minutes to Roglic.

Not sure that’s likely. He had the luxury of soft pedalling the flat part of the Tour ITT and still couldn’t get the time he needed on the climb compared to the guys going flat out on the full course to Claim the KOM jersey.

He is not a disastrous TTer but he will surely lose a fair bit say 1 or 1 and a half minutes to Roglic.
Carapaz' form wasn't reflective of his current form. I believe he's very likely to lose 1'30-2' but I mainly base that on the San Marino ITT rather than the PDBF ITT.

In the Giro, Carapaz was clearly higher on form, and still lost around 2 minutes. I was interested in the time splits because of the flat vs climbing bit.

Reactions: hayneplane
I would fancy him to get there yes and also to have 15+ stages if given the leeway to go for breakaways again in future Grand Tours.
Others who seem certain to get to that level are Pogacar (3 each in Vuelta and Tour debuts), Evenepoel (presuming full injury recovery), Bernal. Strong chances include Hirschi, Alaphillipe.
Bernal doesn't even have a stage win in the Tour yet! Alaphilippe is 28 and still hasn't done the Giro.

Ganna does have to depend on TT routes in the other GTs; he's unlikely to get 3 flat ITTs in a TdF any time soon, barring a change of management there. But he has time on his side.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Bernal doesn't even have a stage win in the Tour yet! Alaphilippe is 28 and still hasn't done the Giro.

Ganna does have to depend on TT routes in the other GTs; he's unlikely to get 3 flat ITTs in a TdF any time soon, barring a change of management there. But he has time on his side.

Alaphillipe needs to do a Giro as so many stage designs could have been made up by his agent they suit him so much. Looking at how many stages Diego Ulissi has won in recent years yet JA is both a more explosive rider on the short hills and faster in the sprint.

That was pure domination today out there. If his positioning in the last 500meters had been better, he would have gapped the rest by 5 seconds, I swear.

I've read a crazy stat on an Italian forum. Of all the GTs he's taken part in 2019 and 2020, he's been wearing the leader's jersey for 34 days (5 Giro '19, 12 Vuelta '19, 11 Tour '20, 6 Vuelta '20). All the other riders together wore the jersey for 39 days. I may add that he lost the maglia rosa on purpose in the 2019 Giro, because the Jumbo Visma team at the time wasn't that strong to say the least.

I'd like to be wrong on this, but I see no way Froome is in the top 3. If he is, that is a huge sign that he can ride his way back into at least top 10 contention next year

Never count Froome out. I do think he can be at or near the GT level he was prior to the Injury. Look at some of his numbers and you can see he has more power than most...he just can't do it on a regular basis right now. Froome has the ability and hasn't seemed to be riding on the edge. Making a ITT a real possibility.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Hey he had a 400watt showing in this race. And it was a climb, he just couldn't hold it as long as he has prior. Did a good job helping the team that day. So, I will not write him off for a top GC next year. And if he is feeling it a stage win (a ITT is best odds) in this race.

TRENDING THREADS