• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 95 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I totally agree. He is still new to cycling and learns more with every race.
He has been riding professionally for 8 seasons, 5 of which were on the world tour. I wouldn't call that new to cycling. Of the riders who contended for GTs this year, he has more WT experience than Mas, Carapaz, Carthy, Pogacar, Hindley, Almeida and Hart. While he may improve I would expect his rivals to be more likely to do so.

He has been riding professionally for 8 seasons, 5 of which were on the world tour. I wouldn't call that new to cycling. Of the riders who contended for GTs this year, he has more WT experience than Mas, Carapaz, Carthy, Pogacar, Hindley, Almeida and Hart. While he may improve I would expect his rivals to be more likely to do so.

I should have said he was new to leading GTs. As it was only last years Giro where he had the role. Plus it's obvious he still has much to learn.

But he didn't grow up cycling as Most pros do that is for certain. He was ski jumping when all the riders you listed were riding bikes even if they were just kids :).

I should have said he was new to leading GTs. As it was only last years Giro where he had the role. Plus it's obvious he still has much to learn.

But he didn't grow up cycling as Most pros do that is for certain. He was ski jumping when all the riders you listed were riding bikes even if they were just kids :).
None of the above riders were leaders at GTs before him barring possibly Carapaz at the 2018 Giro, which he didn't go into with any expectations.

In fact, I think this was the best Roglic we've ever had. From now on I wouldn't be surprised if he starts declining.

• Sad
Reactions: Carols
In fact, I think this was the best Roglic we've ever had. From now on I wouldn't be surprised if he starts declining.

Roglic was injured pretty badly 2 weeks before the Tour this year so we can question whether he was at his best (I don't believe he was) & the Vuelta was a very inconsistent performance from him, with his best rides early in the race/or early in the week after rest days (such as his mountain victory on the Alto de Moncalvillo on Wednesday last week) which suggests to me a case of serious fatigue hit him pretty hard, i.e. hence why his performance at the weekends dropped, with the first Sunday at Formigal, last Sunday at Angliru & yesterday being his low points.

A full gas top form Roglic would have secured this race earlier & easier, IMO. Now the part where he really, really shines (other than his inherent "punch" aka sprint ability which also allowed him to claw a few seconds back yesterday at the end) is the sheer grit, willpower, determination & rock solid mentality which is second to none. This guy is hard as nails & doesn't easily get demoralized when his legs hurt. Add a great base endurance level & voilà, he can compete in multiple grand tours in succession.

But if next year he arrives in top form for whichever GT he does (Giro, Tour, Vuelta) in a normal calendar year (i.e. without every major race congested in a 3 month period) you'll likely see a stronger Roglic.

So just ignore the 2nd paragraph where all those guys were riding bikes while he was ski jumping and had never even ridden a bike. Geez.
Sure they were riding bikes when he was ski jumping but I'm just pointing out that he has just as much experience as a lot of his rivals at leading GTs which is why I don't agree the he is still learning argument. It isn't as though the only reason he loses is tactical naivety or tactical maaterclasses by his opponents, he was beaten by a stronger rider at the Tour.

Sure they were riding bikes when he was ski jumping but I'm just pointing out that he has just as much experience as a lot of his rivals at leading GTs which is why I don't agree the he is still learning argument. It isn't as though the only reason he loses is tactical naivety or tactical maaterclasses by his opponents, he was beaten by a stronger rider at the Tour.

Well he says he learns something with every race he rides, so I guess I'll take his word over your opinion :).

Roglic was injured pretty badly 2 weeks before the Tour this year so we can question whether he was at his best (I don't believe he was) & the Vuelta was a very inconsistent performance from him, with his best rides early in the race/or early in the week after rest days (such as his mountain victory on the Alto de Moncalvillo on Wednesday last week) which suggests to me a case of serious fatigue hit him pretty hard, i.e. hence why his performance at the weekends dropped, with the first Sunday at Formigal, last Sunday at Angliru & yesterday being his low points.

A full gas top form Roglic would have secured this race earlier & easier, IMO. Now the part where he really, really shines (other than his inherent "punch" aka sprint ability which also allowed him to claw a few seconds back yesterday at the end) is the sheer grit, willpower, determination & rock solid mentality which is second to none. This guy is hard as nails & doesn't easily get demoralized when his legs hurt. Add a great base endurance level & voilà, he can compete in multiple grand tours in succession.

But if next year he arrives in top form for whichever GT he does (Giro, Tour, Vuelta) in a normal calendar year (i.e. without every major race congested in a 3 month period) you'll likely see a stronger Roglic.

As you'll see a top Pogacar, Bernal, etc.
Imo, this year was a golden opportunity for him to win the Tour.

nope, bought his first bike in his 20s, perhaps he had one when he was a kid, dont know about that :)

Reactions: Sandisfan
As you'll see a top Pogacar, Bernal, etc.
Imo, this year was a golden opportunity for him to win the Tour.

Maybe? Maybe not. We don't even know if he'll even do the Tour next year. He could choose a Giro/Vuelta season to maximize his chances (like last year). That's "if" it's a normal cycling calendar year of course. But Primoz can be super happy with something I'd describe as a heroic 2020 season all things considered, i.e. 2nd in the Tour, win Liége & now 1st in the Vuelta. Bravo. I mean there are many riders who wished they'd maximize their form with a GT win, which Roglic just did.

Imagine (for example) if Bernal & Pogacar & also Evenepoel all base their entire season on the 2021 Tour? i.e. just like Bernal in 2020, when you lose, you lose big. Honestly I think we're entering into a highly competitive era with a lot of GT contenders, a lot of teams aiming for the top prizes & only a few will reach their goals.

I bet (for example) there are quite a few relieved people at the top of Jumbo right now.

Reactions: Sandisfan
a very strong rider.

but not a dominant rider.

he does not have the ability to ride away/dominate the mountains -- unless it is in the last few hundred meters.

he can win a TT, but not dominate it. so time differences will always be smallish, dependent on "sprinting" time bonuses and always, always at the risk of a bad day or a dominant ride by an opponent.

Reactions: Cookster15
a very strong rider.

but not a dominant rider.

he does not have the ability to ride away/dominate the mountains -- unless it is in the last few hundred meters.

he can win a TT, but not dominate it. so time differences will always be smallish, dependent on "sprinting" time bonuses and always, always at the risk of a bad day or a dominant ride by an opponent.
He was clearly worse this Vuelta than in the 2020 Tour or 2019 Vuelta. If he'd properly peaked for this, he would've "dominated". Also won the 4 stages.

His ITTs were underwhelming this season, but overall I think his Tour level was higher than several Tour winners as well. Just ran into a freak performance.

What are your thoughts on his form? He is always very consistent and holds his form for very long period, with very little ups and downs. Like this season. Do you think this is mainly based on his physical attributs or does way of training also have big impact?

I am asking because I have feeling we haven't seen him in best or "peak" form at Grand Tour. He was close at this years TDF but that heavy crash at Dauphine probably took something. Seems like he is always at 97% but not all the way at 100%.

Reactions: Luthor
What are your thoughts on his form? He is always very consistent and holds his form for very long period, with very little ups and downs. Like this season. Do you think this is mainly based on his physical attributs or does way of training also have big impact?

I am asking because I have feeling we haven't seen him in best or "peak" form at Grand Tour. He was close at this years TDF but that heavy crash at Dauphine probably took something. Seems like he is always at 97% but not all the way at 100%.
I think he was clearly better at the Tour than at the Vuelta.

He was clearly worse this Vuelta than in the 2020 Tour or 2019 Vuelta. If he'd properly peaked for this, he would've "dominated". Also won the 4 stages.

His ITTs were underwhelming this season, but overall I think his Tour level was higher than several Tour winners as well. Just ran into a freak performance.
His level in the Tour was high, but so were many others all season. The climbing times were through the roof for most of it.

TRENDING THREADS