• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 98 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't know who you're responding to, so i assume it's a user i blocked.

I was actually quite supportive of Roglic in past seasons. Even last year i never had any problems with him or his way of riding. But this year he really rubbed me the wrong way. Very formulaic and imho boring. Of course, it's most likely the team management that is to blame for that more than him. I did say his way of talking (in interviews) annoys me a lot. So maybe that's where it came from.

I do understand what you mean. Even as a fan of Roglic I would like to see more aggressive riding at times as it's kind of hard to tell if he's basically the same level as the others or if he's holding back and riding conservatively. However, his style does mean that the races in general are close and everyone's personal favourite GC rider is likely to still be relevant quite deep into the race. Contador and Froome at their peak used to kill races off after the first week. I have a suspicion that the people pining after the days of peak Froome would soon miss today's close racing if a successor to the throne was to emerge.

I also think that the challengers to Roglic are given a bit of a free pass in terms of having an exciting riding style. I mean, we've just seen very little in terms of GC-relevant riders going solo with 3-5K to go like Contador and Froome used to do. Pogacar did it once in the Tour when we wasn't seen as a major threat. Other than that, he mainly followed the Jumbo train and put in a few soft digs relatively close to the finish. Carthy and Carapaz let a multi-mountain stage completely pass them by without trying anything; and generally speaking they were happy to play Roglic's game of waiting for a final km sprint. Dumoulin seems to have a lot of fans, including me, but he's hardly known for aggressive racing. The Tour that Bernal won was hardly known for ambitious attacks, as evidenced by Alaphillippe staying relevant for so long. Same thing with Geraint Thomas who I seem to recall was also a bit of a fan of last km attacks in the Tour he won.

And in saying the above, I don't mean to be on a downer about the current generation. I couldn't be more excited about seeing Roglic, Dumoulin, Bernal, Pogacar, Carapaz, Evenepoel etc facing off against each other next year, hopefully all at full strength and perhaps even a Froome wildcard to throw in the mix.

Primoz won the Velo d'Or, surprisingly!

Although saying it's prestigious in a headline doesn't really make it prestigious... but anyway...

My favourite line:"I went through the list of previous winners and saw it's really an important award."

Congrats!!:cocktail:

Well deserved Rogla. Congrats!

A funny comment from a Slovenian site:

Next year win the Tour, then it's time to switch to tennis and bring Slovenian tennis to a higher level.

:tearsofjoy:
Nice one. To be completely honest though, his ski jumping career is kinda overblown these days. I don't think he was ever in the national team for the world cup and if he was I have no memory of that. He only did youth/continental competitions which is B level. It makes for an interesting discussion how that type of training transfered to his cycling ability though.

Anyway, congrats to Primož, well deserved.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Vélo Magazine interview, quick points:

Key training in 2020: Tignes prep
Random fact: likes to walk the stairs at the hotel instead of using a lift
TDF TT: did all he could, could gain a few seconds at most
Random fact: almost neighbours with Pogačar in Monaco
Worst moment on Vuelta: Formigal
TDF next year all but confirmed: "Victory at the Tour is something still missing in my career so I will try my luck as soon as possible."

Reactions: Luthor
really why, cause they attack 2 km out and Roglic attacks 500m out ? is that it
Pogacar is special and will be the best rider in the world for a long time
Roglic rides that way when he has, or can take the lead and everyone sits on him. His attack in 2017 was 6km from the top of Galibier, 2019 attacking on the descent 10km from the finish and finishing 19 seconds ahead of a committed group.
Not suggesting the Tadej is not very, very good but characterizing Roglic as a one trick rider is way off. He tries to win the most certain way he can and taking a stage or single day race is different than defending the GC. Much different.

Roglic rides that way when he has, or can take the lead and everyone sits on him. His attack in 2017 was 6km from the top of Galibier, 2019 attacking on the descent 10km from the finish and finishing 19 seconds ahead of a committed group.
Not suggesting the Tadej is not very, very good but characterizing Roglic as a one trick rider is way off. He tries to win the most certain way he can and taking a stage or single day race is different than defending the GC. Much different.

Indeed, he is the best all-rounder in the world right now.

Roglič has been named Slovenian Sportsperson of the year ahead of Pogačar. It was a tough decision between the two. While for the best Slovenian cyclist of the year, the Slovenian cycling federation couldn't decide between the two, so they've decided to give the award to Brajkovič.

Lol, I'm joking of course :p. They've chosen the easy way out and decided to give the award to both, Roglič and Pogačar.

He was talking about his racing program for next year. It'will probably look like this: Paris-Nice, Itzulia, Ardennes (not sure if all three or only FW and LBL), Dauphine, Tour, Olympics.

He also said that Olympics probably mean more to him than to an average cyclist, maybe because he comes from a winter sport where an Olympic medal is a big achievement. So he wants to do well there. It will be difficult because it comes right after the Tour but he thinks it can be done. He believes he can be competitive in both races if everything goes according to plan.

Reactions: Carols
There was an interesting documentary on Netherlands TV about Jumbo Visma TdF race.

There you can see the extent of Roglič injury (hip). It's massive and deep. Also Tom had a lot of health problems with his backside.

The most interesting part is the end where Roglič and Tom talk about humanly impossible ride of Pogačar. They both ask what have they done for this kind of speed and how come Pogačar never ever showed this in any race.

• Wow
There was an interesting documentary on Netherlands TV about Jumbo Visma TdF race.

There you can see the extent of Roglič injury (hip). It's massive and deep. Also Tom had a lot of health problems with his backside.

The most interesting part is the end where Roglič and Tom talk about humanly impossible ride of Pogačar. They both ask what have they done for this kind of speed and how come Pogačar never ever showed this in any race.

Someone linked the documentary in the Pogacar thread:

Too bad about no English subtitles.

This should be his schedule for 2021:

Paris - Nice
Itzulia/ Pais Vasco
AGR
FW
LBL
Dauphine
Tour de France
Olympics
Quebec + Montreal
Worlds (no mention of it but I believe he'll be there)
Giro Dell' Emilia
GP Bruno Beghelli
Il Lombardia

Only one GT this year for him. After the Tour he'll focus more on one day races. Tour remains the main objective of course, with the Olympics right behind. Every race in his schedule is winnable, I believe. He won't be the favourite in some of those races (mainly Canadian races and AGR), but he can compete or help Van Aert if he'll be also participating in those.

A nice podcast interview with Primoz

View: https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/1352972094456418307?s=20

EsW67NKWMAUxIe7

EsW67ZcXUAA6alQ

TRENDING THREADS