• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 101 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
On a more serious note, there are three theories circling around in the cycling world on why Rogla attacked so early today.

The first is, that he thought the bonus sprint at 3km to go was actually the finish line. I don't believe that's true. Primož and the team are usually very careful with every little detail.

The second one... Primož knows CN forum members don't like his 500m uphill sprint, so he decided, with no Pogačar, Bernal, Yates brothers, Carapaz, etc. around, it's an ideal opportunity to attack from further out. With doing so, he'll (maybe, I'm not sure) make CN forum members happy and quite, even if for just a couple of days. And at the same time he gets his attack from afar out of the way early in the season, so you can all but forget another one in the following races. This is probably all you'll get, he is now back to uphill sprinting for 500m max.

The third theory (Libertine's favourite)... At the time when the riders were approaching the final climb, Sepp Kuss was spotted eating a hamburger far away from France.
large.jpg
This article suggests theory number 2 is probably the correct one. The plan of the team was actually for Roglič to sprint for the stage win :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:, but Roglič decided to change the plan:

Also:
“He’s insane,” Bennett stated. “I was the worst guy on that camp and it was pretty scary watching those boys train and seeing what he was doing at the same time. I’ve never seen him so good, if I’m honest. I think this is the best he’s ever been.

“I’m glad he showed the world today that it’s not just training form. It translates, and he’s just such a special rider. I’m happy he’s on my team.”

Plan A therefore was to get Roglič as close to the finish line as possible (around 500 m), and after to see classic Roglič. But today that didn't pan out and Roglič got isolated, 3 km still to go. Rogličes response to the situation basically came down to saying that's my cue!

P.S. Moral of the story. If you isolate Roglič too soon, he will just collect more bonus seconds!

Plan A therefore was to get Roglič as close to the finish line as possible (around 500 m), and after to see classic Roglič. But today that didn't pan out and Roglič got isolated, 3 km still to go. Rogličes response to the situation basically came down to saying that's my cue!

P.S. Moral of the story. If you isolate Roglič too soon, he will just collect more bonus seconds!

And he'll take time on you also :).

Good call! That is what folks found endearing about Pogachar's attacks and they occur further out for the same reason. PN is more of a free for all in the hills as folks try out their form. Anyone feeling less than ready already know it by now.

Hope Tony didn't get injured too seriously and he will be back in the saddle soon. UCI, when something is sticking from the middle of the road, that is your job, to prevent accidents there. Not things like dictating on how a rider should sit on his bike.

As expected, today was a vacation cruise alike race for GC contenders. Bennett really doesn't' have any real competition ATM. As for the last 3 stages. I feel that Tony not being there any more will have an effect. TJV will likely have a bit harder time to control the stages, being one man short, and Roglič could get isolated at some point. Then again that might not represent a substantial problem for Roglič. Likely stage 6 and 8, where Roglič and TJV will try to control the stage and Stage 7, where we will get to see some magic again!

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
We could debate that, still it's UCI job to prevent such events from happening. That is putting plastic poles on the road in such way you turn the peloton into a slalom race. Tony could have been looking in the right direction and could still just as likely crash. Riders are in condensed space and suddenly a plastic pole, that somebody decided to put there, on the road, emerges under your front wheel. That is just unacceptable.

I really dont get this "he doesnt attack" early, cycling has become a race of power per minute. Roglic has the best 5 min power in peloton, 15 min power others are better, so it makes ZERO sense for him attacking 15min to the finish line.
He can do it against 2nd level opposition like here but in TDF that kind of attack would be just dumb

I really dont get this "he doesnt attack" early, cycling has become a race of power per minute. Roglic has the best 5 min power in peloton, 15 min power others are better, so it makes ZERO sense for him attacking 15min to the finish line.
He can do it against 2nd level opposition like here but in TDF that kind of attack would be just dumb
Sure, but that doesn't mean we have to like it or find it exciting. It's got nothing to do with it making sense for him or not, but with inspiring people. I was a fan of him when he first made strides as an outsider for GC about 4 years ago. But he's turned into a one trick pony almost. Of course it makes sense, but it's not interesting to watch.

Sure, but that doesn't mean we have to like it or find it exciting. It's got nothing to do with it making sense for him or not, but with inspiring people. I was a fan of him when he first made strides as an outsider for GC about 4 years ago. But he's turned into a one trick pony almost. Of course it makes sense, but it's not interesting to watch.
Of course it doesn't mean you have to like it. I don't like how he and his team race at times and I am a fan. But you are doing him a big injustice, by calling him a one trick pony. This is far from the truth. Just in last year's Vuelta he won every stage in a different manner. By attacking downhill with a finisseur move, by attacking uphill and arriving solo to the finish, in a bunch uphill sprint and in a time-trial. Name me all the people in today's peloton that can do that and are as versatile as he is. Not to mention he is doing all these things all year long. By your definition everybody is a one trick pony.

Give me a full peloton of one trick ponies like him everyday of the week. I'll gladly watch 'em going at it and I bet it would be interesting to watch.

One trick pony? The guy can sprint in a pack, hang in long breakaways, take a classic, win on mountain finishes and manage a 3 week stage race to a win. That's alot of tricks, friend. There have been few riders that can do all of that and condense it in a short career.
He's still a nice guy outwardly, too and his team likes him. Those two things are tricks that make him a complete human sportsman, wouldn't you say?

Of course it doesn't mean you have to like it. I don't like how he and his team race at times and I am a fan. But you are doing him a big injustice, by calling him a one trick pony. This is far from the truth. Just in last year's Vuelta he won every stage in a different manner. By attacking downhill with a finisseur move, by attacking uphill and arriving solo to the finish, in a bunch uphill sprint and in a time-trial. Name me all the people in today's peloton that can do that and are as versatile as he is. Not to mention he is doing all these things all year long. By your definition everybody is a one trick pony.

Give me a full peloton of one trick ponies like him everyday of the week. I'll gladly watch 'em going at it and I bet it would be interesting to watch.
Your post is somewhat contradictory, considering you acknowledge the issue i'm addressing and you don't like it either at times. But then you would like an entire peloton of riders doing the same. I also said "almost", meaning i know he does more than one thing, and calling him a one trick pony would indeed be harsch, but the general impression of him, will be that he's more often than not, following his GC train in order to jump away in the final hundreds of meters. Basically, not that different from watching a dominant sprint train drop off their dominant sprinter at 200m from the finish. There is a reason why people don't like to watch 10 sprint stages in a GT, and it's basically the same thing with watching Roglic.

And to be fair, it's not just his fault, it's probably more Jumbo Visma's fault, which becomes obvious when Tom Dumoulin flat out says they are making a fool out of themselves by the way they are riding. But again, it's the impression people get. He's also a rather stoic figure, no emotions, with an overly monotonous way of talking. I'm sure Pogacar has garnered a lot more fans thanks to his way of riding in the Vuelta and the Tour than Roglic in the same timespan. Is it fair? Maybe not, but that's how it works. People cheer and people boo, they're fickle and it's all about emotion.

Leave him at his thoughts. He's just a typical hater. Always has been. A one trick pony guy on this forum.

On a more serious note, there are three theories circling around in the cycling world on why Rogla attacked so early today.

The first is, that he thought the bonus sprint at 3km to go was actually the finish line. I don't believe that's true. Primož and the team are usually very careful with every little detail.

The second one... Primož knows CN forum members don't like his 500m uphill sprint, so he decided, with no Pogačar, Bernal, Yates brothers, Carapaz, etc. around, it's an ideal opportunity to attack from further out. With doing so, he'll (maybe, I'm not sure) make CN forum members happy and quite, even if just for a couple of days. And at the same time he gets his attack from afar out of the way early in the season, so you can all but forget another one in the following races. This is probably all you'll get, he is now back to uphill sprinting for 500m max.

The third theory (Libertine's favourite)... At the time when the riders were approaching the final climb, Sepp Kuss was spotted eating a hamburger far away from France.
large.jpg

Send Kuss a pack of hamburgers before the TdF and Rogla will go thermonuclear 100 km from the finish line. And CN forum members will be happy as well!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
Your post is somewhat contradictory, considering you acknowledge the issue i'm addressing and you don't like it either at times. But then you would like an entire peloton of riders doing the same. I also said "almost", meaning i know he does more than one thing, and calling him a one trick pony would indeed be harsch, but the general impression of him, will be that he's more often than not, following his GC train in order to jump away in the final hundreds of meters. Basically, not that different from watching a dominant sprint train drop off their dominant sprinter at 200m from the finish. There is a reason why people don't like to watch 10 sprint stages in a GT, and it's basically the same thing with watching Roglic.

And to be fair, it's not just his fault, it's probably more Jumbo Visma's fault, which becomes obvious when Tom Dumoulin flat out says they are making a fool out of themselves by the way they are riding. But again, it's the impression people get. He's also a rather stoic figure, no emotions, with an overly monotonous way of talking. I'm sure Pogacar has garnered a lot more fans thanks to his way of riding in the Vuelta and the Tour than Roglic in the same timespan. Is it fair? Maybe not, but that's how it works. People cheer and people boo, they're fickle and it's all about emotion.
In Slovenia there is like 99.9% of people that prefer Roglic

What people usually don't really like is a change. They are really grumpy about the change itself. Roglič did not only learn and adapted but he also changed the peloton. A ski jumper changed the peloton. That is likely on why some people don't like him. In addition people mostly tend to romanticize the past.
That's a ridiculous take. The guys who really brought change to the peloton are all these youngsters who dare to attack from far out. And the general public is in love with them.

If anything the reason some people aren't the biggest fans of Roglic is that he didn't bring that much change. Often waiting to the end of a climb to attack to get the bonis and counting on his good time trial to extend or take the lead. That has been done plenty in the recent history of GC-cycling.

TRENDING THREADS