• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 103 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm not from Belgium. I think Roglic is a nice guy and a very strong rider, but nothing about him excites me.

I like van Aert... because... I don't know. If I'm honest it might be because I once saw his girlfriend in an interview and she seemed nice. Maybe she isn't even. If she is, he doesn't need to be. But often it's these kind of silly things that make me like or dislike a rider.

There is some unknown quality about a rider that draws a fan to one rather than another. I happen to Love Primoz, Nibali (since 2009!) and Wout from the current set of riders.

Other views differ and that's just fine. I don't particularly care for Ala or Sagan. I wont deny their talent, they just don't excite me :).

Reactions: Sandisfan
Nibali has 49 pro wins.*

*Obtained on the road.

I mean, what on earth is this that PCS choose to count??

And then there are two Giro stages (one from 2011, won by Contador, one in 2013, won by Santambrogio) that don't count in my spreadsheet :cool:

• Wow
I mean, what on earth is this that PCS choose to count??

And then there are two Giro stages (one from 2011, won by Contador, one in 2013, won by Santambrogio) that don't count in my spreadsheet :cool:

Well sorry, officially he has 52. So Primoz needs 3 more to tie him. It shouldn't take to long for him to accomplish it.

Since when do you count wins awarded after the fact?
I have posted above which "wins" were missing from my stat versus that of PCS.
I missed the 2nd half of your post, but you didn't include Bola del Mundo.

Of course, awarded wins are only worth the paper they are written on, what truly counts is the story we are told on the road*.

*Relegation immediately after the finish included.

I'm not from Belgium. I think Roglic is a nice guy and a very strong rider, but nothing about him excites me.

I like van Aert... because... I don't know. If I'm honest it might be because I once saw his girlfriend in an interview and she seemed nice. Maybe she isn't even. If she is, he doesn't need to be. But often it's these kind of silly things that make me like or dislike a rider.

I can relate to this. Sometimes I like/dislike riders for irrational reasons or reasons I'm not even aware of.

I made an edit, that's why you missed it. And, as said above, PCS also miss Bola del Mundo, that's why I missed that one.
While the Spanish civil court overturned the ban and DSQ of Mosquera, he is still officially DSQ'ed of his results in question (as the sporting bodies doesn't recognize the sporting authority of that decision). However, while the original ban instated Nibali as stage winner, no one is listed as winner of the stage on lavuelta.com - but Velits is moved up to 2nd in GC.

Official results are a mess. Contador is the official winner on Aubsique.

• Wow
Vintage Rogla today

EwSpn4lWgAEJVRR

While the Spanish civil court overturned the ban and DSQ of Mosquera, he is still officially DSQ'ed of his results in question (as the sporting bodies doesn't recognize the sporting authority of that decision). However, while the original ban instated Nibali as stage winner, no one is listed as winner of the stage on lavuelta.com - but Velits is moved up to 2nd in GC.

Official results are a mess. Contador is the official winner on Aubsique.
By the way, what got stripped from Leipheimer?

He really changed his calendar for this season. Now that he got the taste for monuments/classics he seems to be determined to head Italy in the autumn. Il Lombardia could be a perfect race for him. As does La Fleche Wallonne.
I want him to try and do a Bananito on Huy, going all out from the bottom of the climb. He is probably the only rider in todays peloton, who can succede in this feat. But even if he waits for the last 250m, I still like his chances even against the likes of Alaphilippe and Hirschi.

Superb performance today, winning a sprint in such way. Another skill demonstrated from the immense repertoire.

As for the debate. I feel it is safe to say Roglič brought uniqueness to the peloton. Not only is he unique, basically has a signature move, that others now copy, he is also a rather special rider. When others do it, the same people that hold it against Roglič, cheer for others doing it, like they are doing something most special. But in the end this is minority of people, majority by now likes it and enjoys it. In addition counts the days for another possible duel and of the highlight of the season ...

Roglič, by now, is not only being considered a generational type of rider, he already transcended that. By being right there, competitive with the next generation of riders to come. Currently it is safe to say Roglič is a once in 25 years type of rider.

Some of you tend to forget, Roglič did demonstrate some successful long range attacks in the past, including TDF. The problem, on why he can't do more of that today is, for one, he would need to suck wheel much more. As Roglič is now in his prime, being considered No.1 in the world, he likely just can't afford to result to such tactics anymore. Luxury left for the younger generation and riders with weaker teams. In my personal opinion i wouldn't hold it against him if he would do more of that.

People saying Roglič should do both, control GTs through and through and do long range attack too. I would be careful with such wishes, some riders experimented with that in the past and 95% or up of that was doping induced. Sure, the crowds where happy, but that in my opinion is the least desirable direction and we shouldn't try to encourage it. As in the end it was fake and harmful.

P.S. Looking forward to tomorrow. Potential for some mano a mano type of action. Unless i guess they isolate Roglič too soon!

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS