• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 104 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Roglič, by now, is not only being considered a generational type of rider, he already transcended that. By being right there, competitive with the next generation of riders to come. Currently it is safe to say Roglič is a once in 25 years type of rider.
Let's not get carried away now. That would make him top5 all time. He is obviously nowhere close to that. Let's wait a couple of years. He still lacks big wins, 2 Vueltas and one LBL is not enough to be considered a once in X years type of rider. And big wins is what sets the big champions apart from the rest. Also there are at least 5 riders in todays peloton who are ahead of him in terms of palmares. On the other hand it's true, that he has achieved all that in just 5 years as opposed to 10 or 15 years like the others did.

Then you have this crazy strong generation of young champions like Pogačar, Evenepoel, Bernal, and a little older ones like MvdP, WvA and Alaphilippe who are all comparable or bigger talents than Rogla and are all expected to win big and plenty in the future.

So you can't call all of them once in 25 years type of riders when they are all competing against each other at the same time. :) Now if you were talking about his unique skillset (combination of elite climbing, TT, punch, from March to October), now that's another story. Still, I am not ready to call him once in X years type of rider. Best rider of the last two seasons would be enough.

People saying Roglič should do both, control GTs through and through and do long range attack too. I would be careful with such wishes, some riders experimented with that in the past and 95% or up of that was doping induced. Sure, the crowds where happy, but that in my opinion is the least desirable direction and we shouldn't try to encourage it. As in the end it was fake and harmful.
Clinic bait. As such, it is not possible to comment on and doesn’t belong here.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I can't even tell how much these "xy is the best and most unique rider u ever saw" discussions annoy me. In every thread, whether Roglic, van der Poel or Valverde. I know, I just shouldn't visit these forums if I don't like that. See, I'm a massive Messi fan, but even with Messi I get so annoyed by people who watch football games only to conclude that nobody is as great as him and will ever equal his abilities and the joy he brought... If you're an ardent fan, okay. Love him. Care about him. Praise him. But why does it always have to be "greatest of all time", "greatest of the last decades", "unprecedented"? Why always these comparisons (and over completely different times and circumstances), which will inevitably disregard other ones?
That's not meant to be personal, CyclistAbi. You sound like a very nice guy, just desperately in love. And I don't get this.

Reactions: Sandisfan
i seriously doubt it.

pog -- unless accident or ill-health -- will be untouchable.

Yates was like what...? 8 seconds behind Pogacar today? Yeah, how about "no" with regards to Pogacar being untouchable.

Jumbo will do the same as ever: asphyxiate the climbers, ride a stifling tempo on the climb finishes & in the final 1k, Primoz will destroy anyone who can't follow his acceleration. I mean even after his fall 2 weeks before the Tour last year (aka the worst fall of his career), Roglic was more than capable of wrecking Pogacar on the Col De La Loze, i.e. before the "infamous" time trial gave Pogacar a Thor-esque perception among followers.

Personally speaking I can't wait for the Tour this year, i.e. it's going to be epic. And yes, that means I also believe Pogacar & Roglic are very, very close. I also believe Pogacar light just "lightly" overestimate his own powers.

But wait & see.

Once again failed to learn his lesson smh

It's funny, because so many literally laughed their asses off when he lost the Tour. Well, this is what everyone gets as a reward: Primoz in Terminator mode. Gino Mader shouldn't complain, i.e. on the contrary he should learn from the experience & make himself stronger.

Just as Primoz Roglic did after the Tour last year.

It's funny, because so many literally laughed their asses off when he lost the Tour. Well, this is what everyone gets as a reward: Primoz in Terminator mode. Gino Mader shouldn't complain, i.e. on the contrary he should learn from the experience & make himself stronger.

Just as Primoz Roglic did after the Tour last year.
It was like he was literally gettin the blame for 8 years of Ineos choo choo train.

Yates was like what...? 8 seconds behind Pogacar today? Yeah, how about "no" with regards to Pogacar being untouchable.

Jumbo will do the same as ever: asphyxiate the climbers, ride a stifling tempo on the climb finishes & in the final 1k, Primoz will destroy anyone who can't follow his acceleration. I mean even after his fall 2 weeks before the Tour last year (aka the worst fall of his career), Roglic was more than capable of wrecking Pogacar on the Col De La Loze, i.e. before the "infamous" time trial gave Pogacar a Thor-esque perception among followers.

Personally speaking I can't wait for the Tour this year, i.e. it's going to be epic. And yes, that means I also believe Pogacar & Roglic are very, very close. I also believe Pogacar light just "lightly" overestimate his own powers.

But wait & see.

i think fignon 1983-1984 is a good reference.

as long as Pog stays upright and healthy, I don’t even think the TDF will be close.

but yes, let’s wait and see.

Primož just turned 50. Congratulations!

Brutal finish and a nice win today. Regarding Gino. It was heartbreaking, but it was not soul crushing. TJV worked hard, Bennett and Kruijswijk made the sacrifice, Gino was racing a separate and unrelated race. Imagine Roglič saying to Kruijswijk i gifted the win to Gino.

Why?

All in all Roglič has added another skill, to his immense repertoire, ruthless to the core. Tour winners need it, especially the ones that go after it so openly, that is a fact and he will need it.

Tomorrow TJV could end up controlling the race and Roglič could win again, but tomorrow i will cheer for Gino. He didn't win the trophy today, but he has won people hearts today. That is something too.

On why i feel it is important, to emphasize Roglič is once in a 25 years of rider. Mainly because, as a current pro cycling king, some people don't give credit, when the credit is due. Somebody has to set things straight, occasionally. Generation before Roglič was successful and Primož could cope, generation that is coming after is great and Primož can cope. It takes a special pro cyclist to pull that off.

Tadej won the kings stage today, on TA, we all know where this is going to. We all anticipate the highlight of the season, the battle of the king and the prince.

Again, it takes special type of riders, to have such rivalry.

And after all this people have the nerve to say it is boring, not because it is boring, but because they cheer for somebody else. Such spectacle just doesn't' deserve such disrespect. Guys work too hard for your entertainment.

IMHO.

TRENDING THREADS