• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 105 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Is he doing this all by himself or will his team pull some of the time at the front? An opportune, late stage TT does not equal a legacy. Give him some space to breath 'cause he'll need it.

okay, last comment for me on pog here (as i don't want this to take over the rog thread).

it's a hunch based off history. once again, i point to fignon and the way he won in 1983. but then in 1984 he demolished the competition. pog is similar in age and i can imagine a similar growth in ability over the space of a "year".

and his team has the potential to be quite a bit better than last year. though, i would suggest that when you are the best, you don't really need the mountain train. in fact, the mountain train, really only works if you have the guy who can detonate off it.

at least rog can potentially compete in terms of TT and explosiveness. if i were bernal i would go to the giro...oh, wait ;-)

Reactions: Sandisfan
riding 25K all out with a dislocated shoulder after a 2nd crash.....
As I understand he dislocated his shoulder in the first crash. He said he put his shoulder in place on his own as he usually does. It's also the shoulder that's been bothering him for quite some time. He said he probably had more troubles riding downhill although he was also suffering as hell on the climbs because he was going all out in the end.

It was probably the first time ever I've seen him with teary eyes in an interview. He was holding his baby son and was trying to remain positive and talking about future races. But you could just sense he almost wanted to cry.

Three times he was in the lead before the final stage of a WT stage race in France and three times he wasn't able to hold onto the lead.

As I understand he dislocated his shoulder in the first crash. He said he put his shoulder in place on his own as he usually does. It's also the shoulder that's been bothering him for quite some time. He said he probably had more troubles riding downhill although he was also suffering as hell on the climbs because he was going all out in the end.

It was probably the first time ever I've seen him with teary eyes in an interview. He was holding his baby son and was trying to remain positive and talking about future races. But you could just sense he almost wanted to cry.

Three times he was in the lead before the final stage of a WT stage race in France and three times he wasn't able to hold onto the lead.

"as he usually does"

Enough said.

Well, even worse than I thought by carrying the discomfort of the shoulder for that long. but yet those setbacks define the grit of a great champion.
and I bet his disappointment wasn't about the shoulder or the bruises or the pain. He was mad about the way all the hard work done by the team & his own effort to earn the yellow jersey simply evaporated in such way- yet he accepted it like a true man knowing that's life, that's Pro Cycling racing & as much as the sport has blessed him with wins and glory, sometimes it also has downsides & defeats so....

The thing we need to remember. People say it happens often to him that he looses a race the last day or with an accident. But that is only because he's always fighting for the win. He's always among favourites and he wins a lot. When he doesn't, it's usually something big, like an accident and that is what people remember. After every fall, he went on, fought like a champion, even when the chances were long gone.

It's silly, but his falls and mistakes gave us many interesting race finishes that get talked about a lot. Without them, he would be a hated terminator. Even now, there are people that would like to see him gift wins to others. What was gifted to him? Nothing. He'll be back to meet T1000 (Pog) soon enough.

The thing we need to remember. People say it happens often to him that he looses a race the last day or with an accident. But that is only because he's always fighting for the win. He's always among favourites and he wins a lot. When he doesn't, it's usually something big, like an accident and that is what people remember. After every fall, he went on, fought like a champion, even when the chances were long gone.

It's silly, but his falls and mistakes gave us many interesting race finishes that get talked about a lot. Without them, he would be a hated terminator. Even now, there are people that would like to see him gift wins to others. What was gifted to him? Nothing. He'll be back to meet T1000 (Pog) soon enough.
I am not sure La Vuelta 2020 falls in that category. I have my reservations about that one.

I just finished watching the race. This is only my opinion, but he kinds of loses his mind a little bit when in situations like this. Maybe he gets very nervous. I don't understand why didn't he used Bennet or Kruijswijk longer. Especially that last one. He was literally pulling when he went to the side of him to pull by himself before the climb and into the wind. Why not wait for the climb? He has the talent to win the races but he needs a cooler head in some critical moments.

Agree — Roglic has had some fails but he’s already won a ridiculous amount of races for a nonsprinter who came later to the sport. Unfortunately they have been extremely high profile fails, with perfect race craft and fewer crashes he might have a Tour and Giro to his name, as well as the Dauphine last year...and he’s always classy in his post race actions.

I am not sure La Vuelta 2020 falls in that category. I have my reservations about that one.

I just finished watching the race. This is only my opinion, but he kinds of loses his mind a little bit when in situations like this. Maybe he gets very nervous. I don't understand why didn't he used Bennet or Kruijswijk longer. Especially that last one. He was literally pulling when he went to the side of him to pull by himself before the climb and into the wind. Why not wait for the climb? He has the talent to win the races but he needs a cooler head in some critical moments.
About using his teammates more. Roglič said guys were spent after they pulled him back to peloton after his first fall. When he fell second time, guys didn't have the energy anymore. We need to remember it's their first race of a season and most are not in their best form yet.

I would like to know more about his falls today. How did they happen? Braking mistake, hitting someone or getting hit by someone, slipped back wheel... we know nothing.

I don't understand why didn't he used Bennet or Kruijswijk longer. Especially that last one. He was literally pulling when he went to the side of him to pull by himself before the climb and into the wind. Why not wait for the climb?
Well he admited in the post race interview he made some mistakes today. I guess that's one of them he had in mind. His early coaches often say he very rarely makes the same mistakes twice. Now the mistakes are starting to accumulate a bit. Let's see if he can really learn from them.

Congratulations to Maximilian Schachmann, for winning Paris–Nice twice in a row.

As for Primož and today's outcome. Obviously, it would be nicer, if he would win Paris–Nice. Such a nice race with such tradition. For sure it would be a good feeling, being able to say you won it. Still, he won 3 stages in an admirable fashion and has show progress in a lot of areas. Attack mode, ruthless mode, team collaboration ... and in this last stage we got to see a lot of heart. What Gino won yesterday, Primož has won plenty of that today.

All in all i feel that the outcome did sting a bit but things will go back to normal in a day or two. I would rate it slightly above that crash at last year Critérium du Dauphiné, but way below the levels of defeat at TDF 2020.

Anyway, see you all at Itzulia Basque Country!

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS