• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 106 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I just finished watching the race. This is only my opinion, but he kinds of loses his mind a little bit when in situations like this. Maybe he gets very nervous. I don't understand why didn't he used Bennet or Kruijswijk longer. Especially that last one. He was literally pulling when he went to the side of him to pull by himself before the climb and into the wind. Why not wait for the climb? He has the talent to win the races but he needs a cooler head in some critical moments.

He recognizes his 'mistakes' and 'learns' with each incident. Remember he didn't grow up riding the bike and has only been riding for GC 2 years. He's so much stronger than the team that he drops them too quickly instead of using them. I'm sure he learned more today.

riding 25K all out with a dislocated shoulder after a 2nd crash.....

True Champions are forged by pain and adversity. Rest well & have a speedy recovery

Primož
Your time for Glory will come :wineglass:

Love the Bolded line :)

He's had Plenty of Glory in the last 2 years as he learns to be a GC and Monument winner. Also some big disappointments. But he learns and moves on, no brooding.

Reactions: Sandisfan
for an athlete at the absolute pinnacle of his sport, he deals with losing in hard circumstances with incredible grace . Most really elite athletes are not even remotely capable of his equanimity. It’s very admirable
Admirable or not, the guy was a junior World Champion in another sport and had to give it up. I doubt he enjoys wasting a moment of his second opportunity to find out how good he is. That fans would take pleasure in this sort of failure shows how weak and shallow people that could never excel at anything can be.

Reactions: Carols
After sleeping it over i decided to conduct a quick analysis before moving on. I feel that Roglič more or less did everything right here. I don't see a single big area, where he did anything wrong in this race. As i have seen some videos, by established cycling personas, commenting on how Primož basically did everything wrong on this race.

He didn't.

Maybe from a GT race point of view there are some valid things to consider, but from a week long race, he was doing what it needed to be done and was doing that beautifully.

The key moment of the race, my opinion, was Tony Martin abandoning the race. That took away the edge, when it comes to the team stability. The team was basically one man short and as such less stable. With Tony i feel that there would not be a crash in the first lap of the last stage. Bottom line, plastic pole(s) shouldn't have been there, as them being there had likely decided the GC race.

As Roglič said, that's life and i will come back stronger. I agree with him.

P.S. There was a lot of talk about Karma in the last day or two. Likely Karma was a bit angry and felt abused. And in the end if Karma would overdo it, then i am sure that sooner rather than later Justicia would look the other way.

Another thing worth considering is:

Team Sunweb said the kit is made from an innovative new fabric that further reduces drag, while the shorts are made from the bib shorts include DSM’s Dyneema fiber which helps to protect the riders in the event of a fall.

I remember, from the last season, on how this was demonstrated to work in a real rode race. Basically no road rash after a severe crash and cyclist sliding on the road. Compared to TJV shorts, that look like they don't offer any such protection.

Great fight yesterday, hopefully it will just add to his drive for the next races

EwgV1toWYAMvyzn

EwdGrt-WYAosfEG

All in all i agree with Froome, regarding Roglič and Pogačar current form. They don't have the luxury anymore, to enter any race unprepared. They give 100% on each race they enter.

As for Roglič and PN. Slightly weaker field on PN, still in my opinion it showed Roglič improved, compared to last year. TT still rather good, climbing, successful long(er) attack, sprint if Bennett is not involved. First time i have seen Kruijswijk giving 100% for Roglič. This will also be very important change, going further down in the season.

As for Pogačar and UAE Tour and TA. Indeed Pogačar made a statement, he is going for the crown this years, and improvements are there. Still, on climbs Yates brothers did give some resistance, Mathieu van der Poel did start way to early and at the end was outputting way too little watts. Wout van Aert likely came to terms with defeat at the kings stage already and was focusing on winning the TT after. In addition they didn't really made Pogačar work, before the kings stage. Pogačar was happy trailing along and waiting for his day to come.

As for Kuss and GT ambitions. I am afraid that TT is a big problem for him, that is why likely he is happy doing what he does the best. Somehow they need to give him chances to win stages or races, as he deserves that.

As for Wout van Aert and GT ambitions. Can happen. In my opinion he came to TA slightly less prepared, compared to Pogačar. His form will likely still improve, going forward in the season. If he wants to become a genuine GT contender, likely he will need to sacrifice some weight, to an extent cyclo-cross and classic ambitions.

As for Mathieu van der Poel and GT ambitions. ATM i don't see it. But ATM he is the best as what he does the best.

Evenepoel and GT ambitions. No clue. He was great at the races i watched him race, still he must transfer that when going against the complete peloton.

Carapaz, i have a feeling he will offer Roglič and Pogačar some resistance on this years Tour edition.

Some comments on Slovenian cycling, how could it happen. If you start cycling, as a young boy or a girl in Slovenia, some cycling clubs do exist, getting older, you can join clubs like Adria Mobil. Here some bigger companies do invest the money. Some (amateur) races and nationals are organized rather well. I would say at this "junior" level things are rather OK. Cyclists like Mohorič do show that. The problem i guess becomes going pro. Here i would say you are more or less left alone to figure it out and your options for sure aren't somewhere in the range of becoming a future captain at some big pro team.

In Roglič case i would say no need to analyze that all that much. There is like 0% chance you can repeat that in foreseeable future. That is if you are going after the pro cycling crown.

In Pogačar case i would say he was brilliant as a junior, ten years back already and got noticed. He likely seen Roglič do it, and likely Hauptman & Co., following Pogačar progress closely in the last decade, being in the position Hauptman is, at UAE, and being selector for Slovenian national team, that for sure played a mayor role.

Moral of the story, for all that to happen, especially Pogačar, Slovenian cycling had to be represented in the peloton in the past. It always was, we just didn't have such big international stars, that indeed is new.

In addition we do like sport, and do occasionally surprise the world audience. For example Tina Maze, likely most versatile alpine skier ever, still holding world record, points in one season. Roglič was a ski jumper, well, there is Peter Prevc, holding a world record, points in one season. Likely you know Dončić ... What i am trying to say is i am not all that surprised Slovenian(s) can do it.

Now cycling is a national sport in Slovenia, before Roglič i would say it was more reserved for people knowledgeable in cycling. Still respect for races, such as the Tour, Giro ..., that was always huge, regardless of the fact Slovenian cyclists didn't (always) win. We have our cycling subculture, for example Primož Porenta is making comeback this year. Love him or hate him, he can push the pedals.

And some more trivia, while we wait. As today marks 99 days still to go, highlight of the season. Here is an image of Roglič, as a young cyclist. His beard has just started to grow:

dsc_0276_1_.jpg

Interesting observation about Pogačar:

Hauptman first saw Pogačar race in 2011 when he saw the latter pursuing a group of much older teenagers from 100 metres behind. Thinking that Pogačar was struggling to keep up with the older riders, he told the race organisers that they should provide some assistance to Pogačar: the organisers explained that the younger rider was in fact about to lap the group he was chasing.

Basically what does Pogačar do, he lap bigger kids. Roglič for sure still has something to say about that.

Anyway, by now i imagine the duo has some international fans. Likely now it is an appropriate time, for getting to know the Slovenian national (sport) anthem.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRk9Q8V3GSo

Explicit version:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Wt-eXR_To

This is how it looks like in the wild:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZI43K_fF_k

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93F2BPSHrg

It's not directly related to Roglič, but today the Norwegian ski jumper Daniel Andre Tande crashed on a ski flying hill in Planica and reminded me a lot of Rogla's crash in 2007. Tande is a former ski flying World Champion, it shows it can happen to the best of them. From first informations his injuries aren't life threatening, but he's staying in a medically induced coma over night for observation. I wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully he'll be able to take flight again.

Last edited:
It's not directly related to Roglič, but today the Norwegian ski jumper Daniel Andre Tande crashed on a ski flying hill in Planica and reminded me a lot of Rogla's crash in 2007. Tande is a former ski flying World Champion, it shows it can happen to the best of them. From first informations his injuries aren't life threatening, but he's staying in a medically induced coma over night for observation. I wish him a speedy recovery and hopefully he'll be able to take flight again.

Or he'll win the Vuelta in 12 years' time.

And some more trivia, while we wait. As today marks 99 days still to go, highlight of the season. Here is an image of Roglič, as a young cyclist. His beard has just started to grow:

dsc_0276_1_.jpg

Interesting observation about Pogačar:

Basically what does Pogačar do, he lap bigger kids. Roglič for sure still has something to say about that.

Anyway, by now i imagine the duo has some international fans. Likely now it is an appropriate time, for getting to know the Slovenian national (sport) anthem.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRk9Q8V3GSo

Explicit version:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Wt-eXR_To

This is how it looks like in the wild:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZI43K_fF_k

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D93F2BPSHrg

But why the Slovenian hymn? Unless they win the Olympics...

TRENDING THREADS