• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 107 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Training at home. You can also see he has a large bruise on his back as well from the fall

ExfMfe8WQAAbpz6
Whoa, that’s some bruise!

As the ski jumping season just finished today, some trivia, current Slovenian head coach is Robert Hrgota. Robert Hrgota and Primož Roglič are two eagles from the same nest. Both being a part of the junior ski jumping team that won a gold medal in 2007 world championship.

But why the Slovenian hymn? Unless they win the Olympics...

This is not the Slovenian hymn. This is what most likely (an organized) Slovenian group of fans might be doing at some point during a sport event. Once traveling will be possible again, people are welcome to join in, whenever meeting such group in the wild.

P.S. If you are a sport event organizer, and do want to animate Slovenian sport fans, you basically can't go wrong with this tune:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7gFNaGYEs8

Tour of the Basque Country just around the corner. Looks like Primož is going there in a good shape, a bit bruised but still. His team on the other hand doesn't look all that strong on paper. Ineos and UAE likely bringing stronger teams.

Confident.
I don't know. A team full of Chris Harpers. Looks good to me.

I like what TJV is doing. They are giving chances to all the main riders to go for their own result, GC or stages. Kuss has had UAE and Catalunya, Kruijswijk Catalunya, Romandie and probably Dauphine, Bennett Catalunya (DNF) and will lead in the Giro, Vingegaard UAE and Coppi e Bartali, van Aert is of course the main guy in the Flamish/cobbled classics and had his chance at a GC in T-A, Roglič led in P-N and will lead in Itzulia + Ardennes. All before everybody gets together to fight for the biggest goal of them all in July (sans Bennett, I think Vingegaard should replace Dumoulin in TdF if the Dutchman is a no go).

Everybody should be happy with their role. A job well done from TJV in terms of managing the team during the season IMO. Now if only they could raise their game as far as in-race tactics goes. Their decisions aren't exactly optimal, to put it mildly (not always, in G-W they did excellent).

Giving them all a fair chance is in my opinion good for the morale too. There are some downsides as occasionally team support can be lacking a bit. For example at Volta a Catalunya team tactics was in my opinion rather terrible. At Milan–San Remo the team should at least hold at Cipressa. But if TJV would win it all, that would be rather boring in the end anyway.

As for Tour of the Basque Country. Likely Roglič could get isolated at some point. I don't see TJV controlling this one. The question i guess is will that be enough for competition to make a difference. Another thing to consider is on how fast will Roglič try to take the GC lead and the responsibility that comes with it. I am very interesting in seeing on how Roglič and his team will approach this race tactically. Considering at least one team should be stronger. Classic Roglič or Roglič with a twist. Either way it is likely going to be a superb race.

It is not a weak team in my opinion, Vingegaard is in top shape and for the Basque climbs he is a better cyclist than Kuss, perhaps I have too much esteem for him but I hope he is among the 5-10 strongest cyclists in the race.
Then you have Foss who was not bad in Tirreno and I suppose his shape is improving, plus Tolhoek and Oomen who can contribute something.
It is not a team to control everything but to compete against Pogi and UAE, and Ineos. In any case, this is not Cataluña and it will be difficult to control the race for any team with so many kms at more than 10%.

Giving them all a fair chance is in my opinion good for the morale too. There are some downsides as occasionally team support can be lacking a bit. For example at Volta a Catalunya team tactics was in my opinion rather terrible. At Milan–San Remo the team should at least hold at Cipressa. But if TJV would win it all, that would be rather boring in the end anyway.

As for Tour of the Basque Country. Likely Roglič could get isolated at some point. I don't see TJV controlling this one. The question i guess is will that be enough for competition to make a difference. Another thing to consider is on how fast will Roglič try to take the GC lead and the responsibility that comes with it. I am very interesting in seeing on how Roglič and his team will approach this race tactically. Considering at least one team should be stronger. Classic Roglič or Roglič with a twist. Either way it is likely going to be a superb race.
I think Roglič wouldn't mind at all if he wins the ITT on the first stage and takes the leader's jersey immediately.

Realistically, indeed we will likely get to see classic Roglič on Tour of the Basque Country, his team likely struggling a bit on stage 6. Roglič likely saying, don't panic, no need for that.

Still, Roglič and the team will likely evolve and adapt ever so slightly, preparing for the Tour. Seen a bit of that already on PN.

Reactions: Sandisfan
He's back! He's never really gone, I know. But....he's back!

I'm pleasantly surprised by the big gaps to his rivals (McNulty excluded). It's almost 2018 or 2019 Roglic level as far as TTs go.
McNulty may be the added threat UAE needs to pressure Roglic without always using Pogi. That could open up another interesting dynamic between Brandon and Primoz's 'Murican teammate, too. Should be fun to watch.

McNulty may be the added threat UAE needs to pressure Roglic without always using Pogi. That could open up another interesting dynamic between Brandon and Primoz's 'Murican teammate, too. Should be fun to watch.
Which 'Murican teammate are you talking about? Kuss? If yes then you are probably thinking about the Tour, but I'm not sure McNulty is even riding TdF. I don't think UAE will play multiple cards for the Tour. It's all in for Pogi. I actually think it's the other way around. TJV will have to put pressure on UAE with "multiple leaders" strategy.

What I think though, is that both teams are applaying this strategy in Itzulia right now. They both are trying to keep McNulty and Vingegaard respectively close in GC so they can use them in the last stage and put pressure on the rivals.

Which 'Murican teammate are you talking about? Kuss? If yes then you are probably thinking about the Tour, but I'm not sure McNulty is even riding TdF. I don't think UAE will play multiple cards for the Tour. It's all in for Pogi. I actually think it's the other way around. TJV will have to put pressure on UAE with "multiple leaders" strategy.

What I think though, is that both teams are applaying this strategy in Itzulia right now. They both are trying to keep McNulty and Vingegaard respectively close in GC so they can use them in the last stage and put pressure on the rivals.
I was thinking Kuss, of course but not suggesting McNulty would be anything but an active aggressor on Pogacar's behalf in the big GT's. Pogacar has won the Tour and McNulty needs to find out what he can contribute for his own development like Kuss. It'd make for some interesting tactical moments.

TRENDING THREADS