• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Right now with the form he is in and the team he has i don't understand how you can see it any other way. Of course his form can dip until the Tour but he usually very good at reach his peak at the right time it seems.

In a 1 week stage race, yes. He is the favourite. But a three week stage race is something else. There, Pogačar has a slight advantage, since his amazing recovery comes into play. Though on the other hand UAE was here with basically the best mountain team they can put together and Jumbo came here with a young B team. In the Tour Jumbo will have a much better team to control the race. So all in all, I would put them on equal terms. But everyone else is very far behind . thogh as we have learned in 2014 - misfortune can cause surprises.

Yes he looks good just not as good Rogla, and the teams are not even strength either.

Today Pogacar's individual performance wasn't worse than Roglic. He helped McNulty on flats first, then had a very strong alone ascent up Krabelin (wasn't far from catching first group) and also pulled a lot in last phase of the race. Big effort. As things stand now both Slovenians are big favourites for the Tour with others way below (but this was the case even before this race).

Today Pogacar's individual performance wasn't worse than Roglic. He helped McNulty on flats first, then had a very strong alone ascent up Krabelin (wasn't far from catching first group) and also pulled a lot in last phase of the race. Big effort. As things stand now both Slovenians are big favourites for the Tour with others way below (but this was the case even before this race).
Of course it was, he wasn't attentive on descent, his main rival escaped, and he eventually lost time to him. He looked strong though, but the bottom line is that he and his team were defeated today.

Reactions: Carols

In a similar way Roglic was also super strong in the final stage of Paris-Nice after his two crashes & dislocated shoulder (he only lost 3 minutes versus an entire peloton of teams collaborating over 25 km on a relatively flat section).

I won't comment on the relative strength of Pogacar with regards to Roglic, but goddamn what a beautiful stage. At one point it was like only those two existed & the rest were just cannon fodder. It's already a legendary duel & it's getting better with each race. Special mention goes to the part where Roglic put the hammer down on Krabelin when it looked like Pogacar was about to bridge the gap. It was like "no way, this is mine now".

In a similar way Roglic was also super strong in the final stage of Paris-Nice after his two crashes & dislocated shoulder (he only lost 3 minutes versus an entire peloton of teams collaborating over 25 km on a relatively flat section).

I won't comment on the relative strength of Pogacar with regards to Roglic, but goddamn what a beautiful stage. At one point it was like only those two existed & the rest were just cannon fodder. It's already a legendary duel & it's getting better with each race. Special mention goes to the part where Roglic put the hammer down on Krabelin when it looked like Pogacar was about to bridge the gap. It was like "no way, this is mine now".
Now, a long 2 1/2 months to see what form is going to get better and who's form is what you see today...Exciting.

KPeHr8vf3hPUCcVrfpMyVE-970-80.jpg.webp

VZL6swkTXbgEbu5tG8dYNY-970-80.jpg.webp

Chapeau!

P.S. You are such an inspiration, this today and the whole Itzulia Basque Country 2021 was crème de la crème. Cycling fans will remember this one for years to come, every young ski jumper should watch a replay. It doesn't get much better then this.

Tbh, before Roglic become dominant force he was quite the attacking rider. I remember a romandie where he and a young Bernal kept trading accelerations a long way form the finish.

It's just that for most of 2020/2019, it wasn't needed for him to attack from afar. Less incentive.
To be honest, in that Romandie Roglič was again on the defending side, he was in yellow. Bernal was the one who was attacking, Roglič was only following his attacks and tried only one attack towards the top of the climb. It was 4th stage of Romandie 2018.

It was in his next race, Tour de Slovenie 2018, where it was the last time Roglič had to attack because he was trailing in GC late in a stage race. He attacked Uran (who was the leader), Majka and a young Pogačar (still in his conti team) about 25km to go, got rid of them and won the stage and the GC (and he had the ITT to play with the next day, when he destroyed the competition).

Also let's not forget the first Vuelta he won, when the whole Jumbo team crashed on the first stage in the TTT and he lost a minute. He was on the attack the next day on a hilly stage with Quintana, Uran, Roche, Aru. The one stage where Quintana the sprinter was born.

In all the other stage races since 2018, he was in a leading position from the beginning, so he was always the one who had to defend. But in 2016 and 2017 he could attack also in the most unusual places. It's just that his sprint and his ITT have become such a powerful weapon it would be foolish not to use it.

tbh i think last year TDF Roglic was not peak Roglic.
His prep came undone with the Dauphine crash and I remember Dumoulin saying Roglic was trash in the training before the Tour and after Dauphine. They were actually a bit surprised by how good he was at the start af the Tour after seeing him in training.

I don't think that Roglic had the base needed to be consistent for 3 weeks because of that prep.

His prep came undone with the Dauphine crash and I remember Dumoulin saying Roglic was trash in the training before the Tour and after Dauphine. They were actually a bit surprised by how good he was at the start af the Tour after seeing him in training.

I don't think that Roglic had the base needed to be consistent for 3 weeks because of that prep.
There is no doubt the crash impaired his function to be in peak form for the Tour. How much is of course a bit unknown, but it would not have been without impact.

Reactions: Carols

I said already last year after the Tour, that I think Roglič has another gear in him. Multiple posters said he had already reached his peak and started declining. We can see so far this season, there is no sign of a decline. On the contrary, Bennett said during P-N Roglič was flying in training camp and he was probably in his best shape ever.

Reactions: Gregor_Slovenia

TRENDING THREADS