• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Everybody needs a little bit of Roglstomp in their lives

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
After watching Brabantse Pijl, not all that sure about Amstel Gold. Either getting van Aert close to the finish line, by not making him work too much, chasing. Or work for Roglič and make the race hard. Based on the current form i would say Roglič, based on team chemistry, van Aert.

We'll see.

Also the stage where Alaphilippe won in TA where Pogacar was fourth right behind Alaphilippe, Wout and Mathieu. Roglic wasn't even in the top 100.

Speaking of Alaphilippe, perhaps he should be considered a favourite for Flèche Wallonne.
Alaphilippe is the #1 favorite, but I think Roglic is the #2 favorite. Don't think Pidcock is far behind, but it's been a long time now Valverde ruled the Mur. I think it's a bit shorter than ideal or Pogacar.

Alaphilippe is the #1 favorite, but I think Roglic is the #2 favorite. Don't think Pidcock is far behind, but it's been a long time now Valverde ruled the Mur. I think it's a bit shorter than ideal or Pogacar.
I agree with the climb being too short for Pogi. He is not explosive per se it's just that he keeps more of his acceleration capabilities at the end of a long hard climb compared to some other riders. Proof being last year's Flèche Wallonne where he wasn't even close to being a real threat....

Reactions: johnymax
I agree with the climb being too short for Pogi. He is not explosive per se it's just that he keeps more of his acceleration capabilities at the end of a long hard climb compared to some other riders. Proof being last year's Flèche Wallonne where he wasn't even close to being a real threat....
Yeah I think the few times he's beaten Roglic uphill it's because Roglic went too early thinking he'd drop everyone and take extra time. That Pyrenees stage he won Roglic simply did more work too, and Roglic countered him on the Marie Blanque really easily

Yeah I think the few times he's beaten Roglic uphill it's because Roglic went too early thinking he'd drop everyone and take extra time. That Pyrenees stage he won Roglic simply did more work too, and Roglic countered him on the Marie Blanque really easily
I actually can't remember a situation where Pogačar took the initiative at the uphill sprint with Roglič following his lead. Since he usually follows Roglič's wheel his success rate is of course slightly higher which distorts his uphill sprint prowess in his favor.

Yes, Roglic did some mistakes in those sprints that normally doesnt count but with Pogacar on his wheel is different. In Grand Colombiere he was a bit cooked because he make a move with 500 m to go, in the flat sprint between the two and Hirschi he pulled alone for the last kms to take the yellow jersey and the other day in Pais Basque was a strange downhill sprint thats not seem to be The best weapon for Rogla who did badly also in Jebel Hafeet againts Valverde.

Still i have the feeling that Roglic excels a bit more in a uphill sprint between 5 and 10 % than in a steep wall like Huy, maybe he sould try Mende/San Luca/ Tirreno 2018/Itzulia style, I mean trying to anihilate everyone before the final metres but Huy is a bit short for that.

Alaphilipe is the favorite, but based on previous performances. His form this year is questionable, we'll get some answers on Sunday though...
Roglic on the other hand is opposite case, his form is excellent, but his experience on the Mur is the problem.
Pidcock, I don't know, I'm not so sure he'll be up there with the main guys.
Valverde, he definitely knows how to win on the Mur, but question is does he has the legs of the past.
Hirschi, I don't think so this year.
Pogacar, well if Roglic is one of the favorites, he certainly is too...

Alaphilipe is the favorite, but based on previous performances. His form this year is questionable, we'll get some answers on Sunday though...
Roglic on the other hand is opposite case, his form is excellent, but his experience on the Mur is the problem.
Pidcock, I don't know, I'm not so sure he'll be up there with the main guys.
Valverde, he definitely knows how to win on the Mur, but question is does he has the legs of the past.
Hirschi, I don't think so this year.
Pogacar, well if Roglic is one of the favorites, he certainly is too...
I wasn't sure about Pidcock, but then I checked his results and saw he was really good on the bigger climbs in the youth categories as well.

Valverde is doing better than previously but he's still getting dropped in places he didn't used to get dropped so convincingly by the likes of Roglic, Pogacar and Yates.

Sleeping like a pro

EzBSq26WUAAEZIc

EzBSq20WYAo9-u2

TRENDING THREADS