• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders The Remco Evenepoel is the next Eddy Merckx thread

Page 1010 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should we change the thread title?

• Total voters
I have no idea what that is but it sounds like adult entertainment.
Pretty much.

Ch5LX35.png

I'd have no issues with Merlier, as long as Merlier understands he's first a flatland dom and would be leading out Remco at intermediates and maybe finsihes if Remco needs bonus seconds
You don't bring Merlier if you want him to do that. He should sprint, there are 7 opportunities and he could easily win a couple. Would be stupid not to bring him IMO. Two stages in the Tour is huge, and who are you gonna being anyway? A mediocre climber who does nothing just so you can say all in for Remco?

QS might as well take Merlier because as soon as the road goes up, Remco will be left with Landa (if he's lucky) and that's it. 2022 was fastest ever Tour and they're averaging speeds of peak Lance so add on UAE's "super duper team" and guess if it'll be fast or not.

Thats just wildly different cases and you know that. They are bringing Wout though, and he will sprint.
Wout is also a completely different rider, or will Merlier also ride himself completely dead uphill for Evenepoel and drop Pogacar?

The thing is, plans have been made in the beginning of the season, Merlier himself said he’s currently feeling quite tired, I don’t see any reason to squeeze him like al lemon if he can take some rest and then build up towards the EC.

As indicative of the relative inactivity here, seems like most have pretty low expectations for Remco at this Tour. He isn't being taken seriously as a GC threat, which is understandable given his performance in last year's Vuelta. I'm curious, however, to see his level up to the first TT. Already in stages 1 and 2 there should be signs of where he is at in terms of form against the Bigs. Then of course there is the Galibier on stage 4 and the TT on stage 7. Another issue could be, does the team staff/trainer know how to raise his level significantly for this race? A lot to see just over the horizon.

As indicative of the relative inactivity here, seems like most have pretty low expectations for Remco at this Tour. He isn't being taken seriously as a GC threat, which is understandable given his performance in last year's Vuelta. I'm curious, however, to see his level up to the first TT. Already in stages 1 and 2 there should be signs of where he is at in terms of form against the Bigs. Then of course there is the Galibier on stage 4 and the TT on stage 7. Another issue could be, does the team staff/trainer know how to raise his level significantly for this race? A lot to see just over the horizon.
I expect him to finish top 5, or podium if he's actually in top shape. I wouldn't be surprised if he's dropped by the likes of Jorgenson and Roglic on the Galibier though.

Reactions: Extinction