• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
IMHO they should let him go like Sunweb did for their top stars as long as they dont have any cost involved. That way both are happy. 2020 being olympic year, i doubt he wants to screw it up by not being alllowd to race
If the team management, Merida, Rudy Project and Sportful want to do the smart thing, they would get Dennis in and ask what he likes about the non sponsor equipment and use him as a resource to improve their own products. If they can get everything to a point where he's happy to use it, every Fred with $$$ to spend is going to look at their products first because it was developed with someone who is so demanding on equipment. Triathletes in particular drool over any equipment advantage they can get.

Another point - if Dennis is this unhappy with the sponsors equipment, imagine the hissy fit Cavendish will have. They ain't seen nothing yet.

Backing what? We would have won on a merida bike and with the rudy helmet.

The legs are what matter. His problem is only in his head. I understand if he likes the BMC better, but I highly doubt that it would have made that big of a difference.

This year he lost the Australian national TT title to Durbridge - who he beat by 3 mins in this WC - whilst claiming that his power output was just as good as the year before. The course was the same. So.....if your power is the same and you lose significant time.....something must be the cause which is niether the legs nor the head.

Reactions: 42x16ss
This year he lost the Australian national TT title to Durbridge - who he beat by 3 mins in this WC - whilst claiming that his power output was just as good as the year before. The course was the same. So.....if your power is the same and you lose significant time.....something must be the cause which is niether the legs nor the head.

The fact that he was doing a lot of work with a sports psychologist suggests that the equipment issues were messing with his mind and performance. One doesn't walk away from the biggest race of the season without good reason.

I posted earlier in the year that the time Durbridge posted to win the National ITT in 2019 was quicker that two of Dennis' previous wins three wins in the ITT from 2016 and 2018 and the time Dennis was quicker was by two seconds - It was more a matter of Durbrige having a super day.

In the interview in the cycling news home-page he clearly states the biggest issue was his mental health. The equipment is probably just a "mental excuse" or a way of making him feel more comfortable or with more confidence.

I really doubt this. Any mental illness whatsoever would prevent the performance we saw this week. It took months of preparation to deliver that. A weak mind would not have delivered such a dominant result. Dennis suffers from maybe a short temper and fragility when everything isn't perfect, such as equipment. That isn't mental illness. I think the difference between the Merida and BMC is also at least a minute over a course like this week.

I really doubt this. Any mental illness whatsoever would prevent the performance we saw this week. It took months of preparation to deliver that. A weak mind would not have delivered such a dominant result. Dennis suffers from maybe a short temper and fragility when everything isn't perfect, such as equipment. That isn't mental illness. I think the difference between the Merida and BMC is also at least a minute over a course like this week.
Carolina said "health", you're saying "illness".

If the team management, Merida, Rudy Project and Sportful want to do the smart thing, they would get Dennis in and ask what he likes about the non sponsor equipment and use him as a resource to improve their own products. If they can get everything to a point where he's happy to use it, every Fred with $$$ to spend is going to look at their products first because it was developed with someone who is so demanding on equipment. Triathletes in particular drool over any equipment advantage they can get.

Another point - if Dennis is this unhappy with the sponsors equipment, imagine the hissy fit Cavendish will have. They ain't seen nothing yet.
Triathletes are as susceptive to marketing as we all are. Most of them don't care all that much what the UCI WC TT Champion is paid to wear. And are as good about evaluating how aero something is as any of us. In fact, Rudy Project was the most worn helmet at the (mostly non-sponsored) Ironman World Championships last year.

https://www.endurancebusiness.com/2...ates-ironman-world-championship-helmet-count/

Now what the UCI WC TT Champion refuses to use multiple times at the point of not competing in the biggest race of the year, and goes on to make a huge deal about in the most public way possible, might just filter out to the wider triathlon community. Merida might be another story, maybe but I would be fairly surprised if Rudy Project can turn this relationship around. I can just picture the marketing campaign: "Hey you know this helmet that we got you, our core market, to buy even though it costs hundreds of pounds, but we convinced you it was worth it because it was so aero, here's a guy that you don't know at all but we paid to use it, he's really good at time-trialing, but he thought it sucked so bad he quit instead of wearing it on the biggest race of the year, we updated it, and finally convinced him to wear it again, for a considerable amount of money, so that's proof we actually a great helmet this time, we swear, it's not like the other time when it was all marketing spin". Seems like a tough sell, but YMMV.

You'd be surprised how many guys at Slowtwitch for example, were across Dennis' dispute, knew that he wasn't using sponsor equipment, and wanted to know what he was using at worlds. Sure, they wouldn't really care if it was someone like Valverde, Sagan, VDP, Gilbert or Matthews but they're certainly across things from a TT POV.

It was genuine interest in what the fastest guy in the world in a TT would use if he could use whatever he wanted.

You'd be surprised how many guys at Slowtwitch for example, were across Dennis' dispute, knew that he wasn't using sponsor equipment, and wanted to know what he was using at worlds. Sure, they wouldn't really care if it was someone like Valverde, Sagan, VDP, Gilbert or Matthews but they're certainly across things from a TT POV.

It was genuine interest in what the fastest guy in the world in a TT would use if he could use whatever he wanted.
Not at all. See above.

Just heard on The Cycling Podcast that MacLaren is planning on taking the main sponsorship next year. So that's likely why the team is putting up with this.

Last edited:
Someone pointed out that the bike issue could be about fit (size, geo,...) as much as aero so that should be easy to address for a sponsor that IS a bike company (with MacLaren). Rudy could easily go to the wind tunnel with RD, bend the ear flaps and add a dimple or two to make RD happy.

Their decision is: do we want a happy World Champ on our team or do we want to cut bait with a demanding (pouty at times) World Champ.

Yes, but while i can see a difference in bikes, it is certainly not a difference of 3-4 minutes.

Not a good look, but is it an endorsement of BMC and Giro or a slap in the face of Merida and Rudy Project?

Strange that everyone is obsessed with this while AG2R replaced their Eddy Merckx with repainted Ridley's prior to the TDF and it barely registers.
For all the interest in pro equipment it's surprising how little information gets about about what they actually use in races at times beyond a few comments. There have always been rumours about certain riders using custom suppliers but nothing ever seems to be reported eg. Purito apparently using a repainted Sarto frame instead of Ridley.

Not a good look, but is it an endorsement of BMC and Giro or a slap in the face of Merida and Rudy Project?

Strange that everyone is obsessed with this while AG2R replaced their Eddy Merckx with repainted Ridley's prior to the TDF and it barely registers.
Eddy Merckx bikes is owned by Ridley, so I guess it is less of a conflict than when the frames are not similar.

Dennis is probably just so pissed off at this point that he is using his 'old' equipment. Although Merida bikes have a bad rep for TT bikes, from the outsider's perspective, I cannot see any functional reason for why Dennis has opted to use a BMC in the road race.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS