• We're giving away a Cyclingnews water bottle! Find out more here!

The Rohan Dennis threat

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

olhell said:
proffate said:
I have a hard time believing it's all down to frame of the bike. I'm suspicious of the helmet, maybe the wheels, maybe the skinsuit (but Sportful is a good brand with connections to high tech Castelli to maybe not that last one).
According to Hushovd on Norwegian TV2 it's about the wheels. Hushovd talked to Rohan yesterday and Dennis had said he had a 40W disadvantage compared to better wheels...

Article in Norwegian - (Google Translate is your friend):
https://www.tv2.no/sport/10731333/
Yes, from what I've heard the wheels actually make a bigger difference than the frame of the bikes at that level, the difference can be really big in a long ITT like the WC.
 
Re: Re:

glassmoon said:
Blanco said:
Rohan Dennis is a disgrace for this sport, you just don't do this to your team no matter what reason you have.
Disgrace is that that team was even allowed to come to existence :rolleyes:
"Rohan Dennis is a disgrace for this sport"...blah blah blah..."no matter what reason you have."
That is a remarkable thing to say given the history of this team and its financial backers.
Seriously, a five minute google search will tell you all you need to know about Nasser and the horrendous crimes he and his cronies have committed to the people who reside in his country--people who have committed so-called crimes that include wanting to have a voice. If records submitted by creditable world-wide institutions are to be believed, this Prince Nassar guy took place in torture. I'm not saying he was a by-stander who gave the nod to his cronies; I'm saying the guy actually laid hands on so-called dissidents.
I am almost certain that this is not why Rohan bailed, but it provides an opportunity to shed light on the people who sign his pay cheques.
UCI leaders should be ashamed of themselves.
 
Jul 4, 2016
224
8
3,045
Dennis having a hissy fit and abandoning was easily the most exciting thing that happened during the stage. BM (apart from Teuns) are a shambles at this tour. 7 of their riders don't want to be there.
 
Re:

topcat said:
Dennis having a hissy fit and abandoning was easily the most exciting thing that happened during the stage. BM (apart from Teuns) are a shambles at this tour. 7 of their riders don't want to be there.
To be fair, you could make a case for every team bar Ineos, Quickstep and Jumbo being a shambles at some level or other. Maybe give the invited teams like Wanty or TDE a pass for lack of resources and just trying harder.
 
Re: Re:

Leinster said:
topcat said:
Dennis having a hissy fit and abandoning was easily the most exciting thing that happened during the stage. BM (apart from Teuns) are a shambles at this tour. 7 of their riders don't want to be there.
To be fair, you could make a case for every team bar Ineos, Quickstep and Jumbo being a shambles at some level or other. Maybe give the invited teams like Wanty or TDE a pass for lack of resources and just trying harder.
Even Jumbo with the George Bennett bottles saga was also a shambles though overall they have had a great race so far.
 
If this is true then i will be suprised if he races another race for the team. They should just let him rot for the rest of the contract if they dont fire him, you dont abandon your team over petty ***.
 
Re:

Red Rick said:
40W? Gimme those BMC wheels I can go twice as fast as I do now
PRO Disc Textreme rear disc (Shimano subsidiary) on the BMC time trial bikes vs. Fulcrum rear disc on the Bahrain Merida time trial bikes, in this 2019 TdF. In this wind-tunnel testing chart there is a recent Fulcrum (2017), which looks not great versus the whole cycling market of esoteric aero wheels, but...
Even at 500 watts effort by a cyclist such as Dennis, and even if the Fulcrum aero wheelset are wack in comparison to the PRO/Shimano, I don't believe the 40 watts part. There is no way there is that much difference between best and worst aero performance in drag testing, and no way world-tour teams would consider that wheelset disparity acceptable. Plus wouldn't Dennis have raised that objection earlier? Somebody is exaggerating. The wheels were good enough for Dennis to win the Tour de Suisse ITT stage one month ago, but now the wheels are not good enough for the Tour de France, such that he won't even attempt the ITT ??? Something more to the story besides equipment, probably

@Alex RST, can you be the CN consultant on this aero equipment matter
 
Re: Re:

I can't believe that Bahrain's equipment is that bad. And just to randomly leave the race at that point over it doesn't make any sense either.

Tratnik and Dennis both have TT wins this season on that equipment. Nibali had very good TTs at the Giro, Caruso in the final TT there too. Padun won the Ukraine TT Champs.

the delgados said:
glassmoon said:
Blanco said:
Rohan Dennis is a disgrace for this sport, you just don't do this to your team no matter what reason you have.
Disgrace is that that team was even allowed to come to existence :rolleyes:
"Rohan Dennis is a disgrace for this sport"...blah blah blah..."no matter what reason you have."
That is a remarkable thing to say given the history of this team and its financial backers.
Seriously, a five minute google search will tell you all you need to know about Nasser and the horrendous crimes he and his cronies have committed to the people who reside in his country--people who have committed so-called crimes that include wanting to have a voice. If records submitted by creditable world-wide institutions are to be believed, this Prince Nassar guy took place in torture. I'm not saying he was a by-stander who gave the nod to his cronies; I'm saying the guy actually laid hands on so-called dissidents.
I am almost certain that this is not why Rohan bailed, but it provides an opportunity to shed light on the people who sign his pay cheques.

UCI leaders should be ashamed of themselves.
And Dennis chose to join that team of his own free will for a big cheque of blood money lol. Yeah he's a great guy for sure.
 
Whatever the merits of the team or the equipment you do not abandon your team mates and support staff in the middle of the Tour de France

Rohan Dennis is acting very strangely especially on the eve of the IT ...maybe the pressure just got to him and he couldnt handle it ??
 
Re: Re:

luckyboy said:
I can't believe that Bahrain's equipment is that bad. And just to randomly leave the race at that point over it doesn't make any sense either.

Tratnik and Dennis both have TT wins this season on that equipment. Nibali had very good TTs at the Giro, Caruso in the final TT there too. Padun won the Ukraine TT Champs.

the delgados said:
glassmoon said:
Blanco said:
Rohan Dennis is a disgrace for this sport, you just don't do this to your team no matter what reason you have.
Disgrace is that that team was even allowed to come to existence :rolleyes:
"Rohan Dennis is a disgrace for this sport"...blah blah blah..."no matter what reason you have."
That is a remarkable thing to say given the history of this team and its financial backers.
Seriously, a five minute google search will tell you all you need to know about Nasser and the horrendous crimes he and his cronies have committed to the people who reside in his country--people who have committed so-called crimes that include wanting to have a voice. If records submitted by creditable world-wide institutions are to be believed, this Prince Nassar guy took place in torture. I'm not saying he was a by-stander who gave the nod to his cronies; I'm saying the guy actually laid hands on so-called dissidents.
I am almost certain that this is not why Rohan bailed, but it provides an opportunity to shed light on the people who sign his pay cheques.

UCI leaders should be ashamed of themselves.
And Dennis chose to join that team of his own free will for a big cheque of blood money lol. Yeah he's a great guy for sure.
Nope, he isn't. No one who choose to join that atrocious team is.
 
Re:

HelloDolly said:
Whatever the merits of the team or the equipment you do not abandon your team mates and support staff in the middle of the Tour de France. Rohan Dennis is acting very strangely especially on the eve of the IT ...maybe the pressure just got to him and he couldnt handle it ??
Not pressure to perform, because he was normal and upbeat in his Tour de Suisse pre-race / post-stage interviews, and won the ITT. The TdF time-trial is not much different than his other GT accomplishments. He must know how bad it looks to skip out on time-trial where people were looking forward to seeing him. And the cardinal rule is, not to abandon one's team, when the riders at least have done so much for him... and especially to give no explanation
Moviefan1203 said:
I hope it’s not mental health.
https://twitter.com/CyclingCentral/status/1151868188084375552
Dennis looks like he is seething with anger in the video of him walking past team vehicles, and he doesn't respond at all to journalists prodding him repeatedly with: "Rohan, are you able to say anything?"
Team management dispute which boiled over, something so severe that that he would rather rupture the team than ride for the management...that would be my guess in the absence of any official explanation.
Nibali is leaving the team, according to Dennis, and it could be like "I'm leaving too" but in a very extreme public exit rather than private contract negotiations

Or maybe a tragic and upsetting event outside of cycling racing which he had been concealing. But I doubt that based on his behaviour
 
First, I hope this is not something really terrible.

RD has been known as a hothead for a while, and a bit like a snowflake. Not sure if there are mental health issues (I hope not), or we are talking just personality issues, but if this is part of the pattern he's had of throwing a fit, I really hope it's something he works on intensively. The team sounds like it's managed by clowns, and I would not be surprised if there were differences in opinion, but that does not matter in this case. The rest of the team have to deal with the same clowns and no one is acting anything close to like this.
 
Wonder if the arrival of Rod Ellingworth is already affecting things at the team? One would suspect that Dennis would be looking forward to his arrival, or perhaps not?
 
Hmm, I wonder if that is what Kelly was alluding to last night.

Kelly knows a tremendous amount about what is going on in the various teams and always plays his cards very close to his chest, remaining diplomatic and balanced.

Kirby knows next to nothing about what is going on in the various teams and always wades in with wild aspersions and crazy theories based on the flimsiest of evidence.

Kelly talked at length last night about certain riders having very strong preferences for a particular brand of bike or clothing. He also stated that the advantages on which the preferences were based were often imagined and the claimed energy savings highly exaggerated. He, of course, didn't name any names.

Later, the Dennis / Bahrain row boils over. Were the two things related or was it just a coincidence?
 
Re:

dastott said:
Wonder if the arrival of Rod Ellingworth is already affecting things at the team? One would suspect that Dennis would be looking forward to his arrival, or perhaps not?
Dennis said in interviews that he was glad Ellingworth was coming to Bahrain-Merida, and that he had met Ellingworth several times over the years. I forget what video interview that was but you're right, he saw Ellingworth as positive as stabilizing for Bahrain-Merida
Cycling News has updated their article on 'Rohan Dennis investigation' and among the changes are: that CN reporting says he was "seen arguing with the team car" before he quit the stage / abandoned the Tour

Why an in-race dispute? It could be as simple as
Directeur Sportif : "Rohan, don't go in the breakaway because the time-trial is coming up next stage"
Rohan Dennis : "You think I don't know that? That's the final straw, I'm quitting the team"

Accumulating a grudge with the Bahrain-Merida management over time in the past, is doing something aggressive in the immediate race scenario which is tactically questionable, they say no, he loses his temper and quits

Or the converse, DS orders Dennis to bridge to the breakaway, he doesn't want to, thinks the directeur's ideas are so incompetent that it's outrageous, quits the race
 
Re: Re:

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
Cycling News has updated their article on 'Rohan Dennis investigation' and among the changes are: that CN reporting says he was "seen arguing with the team car" before he quit the stage / abandoned the Tour

Why an in-race dispute? It could be as simple as
Directeur Sportif : "Rohan, don't go in the breakaway because the time-trial is coming up next stage"
Rohan Dennis : "You think I don't know that? That's the final straw, I'm quitting the team"

Accumulating a grudge with the Bahrain-Merida management over time in the past, is doing something aggressive in the immediate race scenario which is tactically questionable, they say no, he loses his temper and quits

Or the converse, DS orders Dennis to bridge to the breakaway, he doesn't want to, thinks the directeur's ideas are so incompetent that it's outrageous, quits the race
If we're speculating, I'd say what happened before was:
- Dennis does poorly in ITTs early in the season, for example Tirreno (8th); he is not happy with the material and wants changes
- Team/Manufacturer promises improvements
- Rides a very good Tour de Suisse, feels he has a chance to overtake Bernal in the final ITT but does poorly again; the promised improvements are not there or fail to work
- He is very upset and demands changes for the Tour de France
- During the Tour, these changes cannot be implemented anymore, gets more and more upset as the ITT looms and feels he will be humiliated as a world champion in the most televised race of the year
- Something such as what you suggested above is the final straw; has hissy fit and quits
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS