• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
To be fair, Kelly was a good climber who could finish top 10 in the Tour. Cancellara's 2009 victory was something of a gift from the organisers (and who can blame them?) How many years is Dennis into his 'transformation to GC rider' ?

Re: Re:

Leinster said:
movingtarget said:
Still the Tour of Switzerland is nowhere near as mountainous as it used to be. Cancellara even won one year. Dennis will drop time of course, how much will depend on how hard it's raced.
Kelly won it twice. DeVlaeminck won it in 75. Just because Switzerland is known for mountains doesn’t mean the race always has to be.[/quote

Kelly also won a Vuelta and Roger DVL wasn't just a sprinter.

Re:

dastott said:
To be fair, Kelly was a good climber who could finish top 10 in the Tour. Cancellara's 2009 victory was something of a gift from the organisers (and who can blame them?) How many years is Dennis into his 'transformation to GC rider' ?

I think he's in year 3 of his 4 year transformation project? So if all is going to plan, I'd expect him to start showing something in races like TdS this year...

Re:

Escarabajo said:
The transformation is happening!
Not really, he was always decent on MTFs, just remember how he dropped Wiggo on the final ramp of mount diablo. Hard multi mountain stages have always been his biggest weakness. Of course his climbing seems to be better than ever, but it's not a sudden transformation like Dumoulin in 2015.
He and the team have said that the real gc project will only start after the Olympic TT.

Mayomaniac said:
Escarabajo said:
Not really, he was always decent on MTFs, just remember how he dropped Wiggo on the final ramp of mount diablo. Hard multi mountain stages have always been his biggest weakness. Of course his climbing seems to be better than ever, but it's not a sudden transformation like Dumoulin in 2015.
He and the team have said that the real gc project will only start after the Olympic TT.

Rod Ellingworth will take care.

Mayomaniac said:
Escarabajo said:

Yeah. In a Vuelta type stage with a regular climb he will always be good but unlike Dumoulin he will always suffer in the long multi mountain stages. I think he's a little like Bobby Julich. In the right circumstances I think he can do a good placing in a GT(most likely TdF) and win some one week stage races but he's not one who can win a GT.

pink_jersey said:
Mayomaniac said:
Escarabajo said:

Yeah. In a Vuelta type stage with a regular climb he will always be good but unlike Dumoulin he will always suffer in the long multi mountain stages. I think he's a little like Bobby Julich. In the right circumstances I think he can do a good placing in a GT(most likely TdF) and win some one week stage races but he's not one who can win a GT.
Yes, that's also my opinion.
Too bad that he crashed out pretty early in the 2017 Giro, that would have been a good route for him.

movingtarget said:
Leinster said:
movingtarget said:
Still the Tour of Switzerland is nowhere near as mountainous as it used to be. Cancellara even won one year. Dennis will drop time of course, how much will depend on how hard it's raced.
Kelly won it twice. DeVlaeminck won it in 75. Just because Switzerland is known for mountains doesn’t mean the race always has to be.

Kelly also won a Vuelta and Roger DVL wasn't just a sprinter.
They also weren’t Colombian pure-climber types. The Tour de Suisse has always had mountains in it, but has always rewarded the all-rounder type rider. There are lots of Belgian past-winners. Not as many Spanish or Colombian.

Nice ride by Dennis today and for most of the TdS. Three passes over 2,000 metres and even briefly put Bernal under pressure. I have never seen him do that kind of ride before. TdF will be interesting teaming up with Nibali - hopefully Pozzi is there as he was great this week. Hopefully Dennis can hold it together for three weeks. If so, a top 10 should be possible?

Re:

Cookster15 said:
Nice ride by Dennis today and for most of the TdS. Three passes over 2,000 metres and even briefly put Bernal under pressure. I have never seen him do that kind of ride before. TdF will be interesting teaming up with Nibali - hopefully Pozzi is there as he was great this week. Hopefully Dennis can hold it together for three weeks. If so, a top 10 should be possible?
If he rides like this week and doesn't have a bad day, i'd definitely say top 10 is possible, and more. But he'll have to prove himself over 3 weeks against a better field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS