• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ppanther92 said:
What is he doing?

https://twitter.com/RohanDennis/status/1153421338553520129

That just makes him look even worse. This mail contains a perfectly fine request by the team, even giving him a good option to only target the ITT and doing a TdF recon afterwards. And his SO gets involved too...
I think he is replying to an article that said he left Pais Vasco after two stages because it was equal to the two days he was meant to do in the Ardennes. The email shows the team gave him that option.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ro...ce-pull-out-has-been-blown-our-of-proportion/

It was reported that Dennis and management at Bahrain-Merida had been having disagreements over his equipment and skinsuit, however, neither Dennis nor the team have confirmed that such disagreements were the direct cause of his abandon.

...but then...
Dennis confirmed that he will race on an unmarked time trial bike during the World Championships, along with components from the Australian national team.
"It is what they [national team] deem the best thing for my body shape and my position for me to try to win," Dennis said.

So he hasn't confirmed that equipment was behind him quitting the Tour.

But first chance he gets, he's riding unbadged equipment.

As said before, if it's really this big a deal, he ought to have thought twice before taking a big-money move to the team with "MERIDA" plastered across the lower half of the shirt.

Reading between the lines, and given the amount he mentions his sports psychologist in the article, it sounds to me that he was struggling with his mental health during the Tour, which is ultimately what led to him leaving the race.
Equipment was perhaps one of the (probably many) pressures that caused a deterioration in his mental health - ie the stress of trying to perform with sub-par equipment. And so he's taken the decision to remove that stressor by using unbadged equipment at the Worlds...

I could be totally off the mark, of course...

So if RD wins the TT WC using whatever he plans on using, then what moving forward? If its just a skin suit and wheels or maybe bars too, that should be able to be worked out easily enough, but if its a different frame (as it sounds like), I can't see how that can be worked out.

When not every bike company had a TT bike everyone rode stickered up Litespeed, Cervelo, custom, but now everyone has TT rigs (at the top level). Is he just covering the stickers on his old BMC?

RD should have fresh legs, but will they be good legs? Maybe Davesta is correct that he just needed to get his head reset.

So has he left Bahrain Merida? He is still listed on their website as a member of that team, and under contract, apparently, for next year.

But it is reported that

But this would surely be a breach of contract.
It's been done before. I remember Michael Rogers riding the 2008 Olympics on an unmarked Cervelo P3, then there was the UK team using their unmarked BC bikes in 2012. That's just off the top of my head.

As long as they aren't displaying other sponsor logos openly it's all ok.

Reactions: claude cat
He is most likely obliged under the contract with the team to use Merida equipment also when riding in national team colours. But this does not mean that team will not turn a blind eye in this particular case. Merida (bike brand) has been entirely silent so far since his Tour abandon.

He is most likely obliged under the contract with the team to use Merida equipment also when riding in national team colours. But this does not mean that team will not turn a blind eye in this particular case. Merida (bike brand) has been entirely silent so far since his Tour abandon.
There is hardly anything Merida can say to make this situation any better other than pretending this never happened.

Edit: Well they could blame it on the helm/wheels but no legitimate company would ever do that.

But that was on the Merida bike. He is riding the worlds on a BMC bike...same he had when he became WC. Different situation. Was Campy not informed of this?
Don't know, and surely the bike will make a difference, but you have to wonder, if the fact that he was only able to take a handful of seconds on Bernal in TDS, was all because of the bike. Personally, i don't buy it. At this point, i'm thinking the bike will make a bigger difference in his head, than on the road.

I mean, he lost one second per km on Lampaert. Not on van Aert or Roglic. Unless he loses 2sec per km due to the bike, i'm not buying it.

There is hardly anything Merida can say to make this situation any better other than pretending this never happened.

Edit: Well they could blame it on the helm/wheels but no legitimate company would ever do that.
They could have at least published some generic PR garbage like "our bikes meet the highest demands of professional cycling and include the most advanced technology available" or so. But also maybe they just do not care so much, being that big and not that dependant on some Rohan Dennis, or as you said, concluded that the best strategy was to pretend this never happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS