• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 18 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't really know about that. He is as much rule-breaking as Dennis, but is irresponsible really a term we can use here?

I mean, why would it be reckless and irresponsible to ride your bike in Monaco but not in Denmark? It's the same act. It's just legal in one country, not in another.

Reactions: Bolder
I don't really know about that. He is as much rule-breaking as Dennis, but is irresponsible really a term we can use here?

I mean, why would it be reckless and irresponsible to ride your bike in Monaco but not in Denmark? It's the same act. It's just legal in one country, not in another.
Because it's not? It's not the same thing to go out in Denmark than in Spain with a x4 cases/population ratio. Governments take different decisions for different situations.

They went out unnecessarily because they think they are above the rest. If anyone did this disobeying the rules that have been taken to tackle the problem then the situation in those countries would be completely out of control. Thankfully though, most of the population is way more responsible, unselfish and have better ethics than either of these two (which was expected from someone who moves to Monaco to avoid paying taxes, but that is a bit off topic).

Reactions: SafeBet
I can safely suggest this is known by people who've posted in this thread - Will add that Dennis won't be the only sports person who is suffering during the lockdown - On the same day last week two Aussie Rule footballers were busted for drink driving.

I was responding to RedheadDane asking why Dennis doesn't come home if cabin fever is so bad for him

Oh, I see. Sorry

People without mental issues are struggling with the world right now, so someone like RD with known mental issues will really struggle to handle it. I agree with those who typed that RD seems to compound this with his "ME" attitude, but as much as I agree that he frequently comes off as an arshat, that might also be part of his mental state (or maybe he's just an arshat). "Covid19 can suck my ars..." certainly sounds like a pouty 12 year old arshat.

I know that the logistics would be difficult and risky, but if I was a pro looking to get outside on my bike I would be setting up camp where it was legal.

Reactions: Cookster15
People without mental issues are struggling with the world right now, so someone like RD with known mental issues will really struggle to handle it...………………..

I know that the logistics would be difficult and risky, but if I was a pro looking to get outside on my bike I would be setting up camp where it was legal.

Agree 100%. This is my opinion on Dennis's silly Twitter outburst and deciding to break the lockdown rules in his place of residence.

But I still think banning even solo riding to combat coronavirus spread is over the top and unnecessary to control it. There is likely more risk of hurting someone in your car than catching or passing the virus while riding solo. IMO these draconian over the top restrictions are what precipitated Dennis's outburst.

Reactions: yaco
It is actually allowed to go outside if you've got a medical prescription. Or anyhow, you can go out to get food, meds or masks if you desperately need to get some air, this is mainly a permit to go out for kids that suffer from issues such as autism, since generally no kid is allowed outside at the moment.

However, posting this, adding "quarantine can suck my ass" and "if you don't like what I do, don't follow me" sounds more related to selfishness and stupidity than to mental issues - which he may have.

But I still think banning even solo riding to combat coronavirus spread is over the top and unnecessary to control it. There is likely more risk of hurting someone in your car than catching or passing the virus while riding solo. IMO these draconian over the top restrictions are what precipitated Dennis's outburst.
Spanish hospitals have been beyond full capacity throughout the past weeks. It is not just to avoid the spread, since if you crash while training and require assistance it'll be another blow to the health system.

Once the situation starts to get better, solo riding (for your own health, not referring to pro training) will be permitted. In fact, it is actually advised for essential/allowed workers to get to their offices on a bike since it lowers the risk of transmission when compared to using public transport or even on foot. However, if you are just training, do it at home with a smart trainer until it is the right moment to do so.

Last edited:
Ha, well that kind of ruins it as he can't train outside anyway. So he's less dumb than Dennis because he didn't broadcast his rule break to the world, but he's equally reckless and irresponsible.
No he's not, though. He wasn't explicitly drawing public attention to his behavior and he wasn't acting like he had every right to do what he did, as if he'd been treated unfairly by the circumstances or as if people should be free to do as they please given the situation. Like i said in a previous post, what these guys do gets picked up by thousands if not millions of people worldwide. This doesn't stop with possibly getting infected or possibly infecting someone else. There is a much greater issue here. Setting an example, inciting others with your behavior.

Reactions: hrotha
My understanding of the lock down order in Spain is that the only way you are allowed to leave your property is if you have essential you are doing whether that is you are an essential worker or you are going to pick up essentials like groceries or medications. Otherwise you are basically restricted to your home. If you have outdoor space with your home you are allowed to use it. If it's warm enough to use your outdoor pool you are welcome to as you are still on your property.

Here in France you need to have a good reason, but joyriding in your vintage Porsche is not one of them.

Regarding solo riding etc, of course it's not going to promulgate the spread of CV, but the point is to avoid exceptions in countries that have put those limits in place.. I.E., if cyclists can train outside, then why can't horsemen, runners etc.

In Bavaria your aren't allowed to ride around in your car without any reason.
For health reason it is allowed to cycle, run and walk around, because they want people to stay healthy (mentally and physically). Since today it is allowed to walk and train outside with a person which isn't living in your house.

I don't get it either why people are completely locked away in Spain and Italy. I personally think they are doing the wrong thing.

Spanish hospitals have been beyond full capacity throughout the past weeks. It is not just to avoid the spread, since if you crash while training and require assistance it'll be another blow to the health system.

Once the situation starts to get better, solo riding (for your own health, not referring to pro training) will be permitted. In fact, it is actually advised for essential/allowed workers to get to their offices on a bike since it lowers the risk of transmission when compared to using public transport or even on foot. However, if you are just training, do it at home with a smart trainer until it is the right moment to do so.

Okay I should have considered Spanish hospital capacity. But what kind of "blow" to the health system from potential cyclist injuries are we really talking about? It would be a very, very, very small percentage of total beds. Life has to go on surely ? I still think its over the top.

Can someone also explain why Spain's new case count remains stubbornly high? There is no statistically significant fall in the daily new case rate for the month of April to date. This despite the draconian restrictions. Makes no sense. I'm glad I live in Australia. I can still ride my bike on public roads solo and our stats are as good as any country right now with restrictions that don't include exercise. Riding solo is legal exercise under our current lockdown.

Last edited:
I don't get it either why people are completely locked away in Spain and Italy. I personally think they are doing the wrong thing.

It doesnt' really matter if you understand - or agree with - the rules. You just have to follow the rules of wherever you happen to reside. On the flip-side that also means that someone residing in a country with full lockdown can't complain about someone residing in a country that doesn't have full lockdown going for a ride.

Okay I should have considered Spanish hospital capacity. But what kind of "blow" to the health system from potential cyclist injuries are we really talking about? It would be a very, very, very small percentage of total beds. Life has to go on surely ? I still think its over the top.

Can someone also explain why Spain's new case count remains stubbornly high? There is no statistically significant fall in the daily new case rate for the month of April to date. This despite the draconian restrictions. Makes no sense. I'm glad I live in Australia. I can still ride my bike on public roads solo and our stats are as good as any country right now with restrictions that don't include exercise. Riding solo is legal exercise under our current lockdown.

Two reasons for the Spanish new case count

1. Think they are catching up and also trying to average out the results
  2. When you lockdown you incubate the virus among infected people in the same household.

Hm, well, nothing to do with Rohan Dennis, but the thing is not everyone has a smart trainer at home. There are lots of people confined to really, really tight spaces with people in their households they can't stand / don't get along with. I think cycling is not really important in this, but to not be able to go out, go jogging or walking, do some exercise, before you go nuts. I'm thinking about a lot of families, teenagers in precarious living conditions.

Reactions: Cookster15
I am actually just very surprised that you are not allowed to train outside in other countries. In Austria that was always allowed (not in groups) and to be honest I really see no problem, when someone is alone on his bike...
In Bavaria your aren't allowed to ride around in your car without any reason.
For health reason it is allowed to cycle, run and walk around, because they want people to stay healthy (mentally and physically). Since today it is allowed to walk and train outside with a person which isn't living in your house.

It's up to those countries to make the consideration and assess their situation. In Belgium you can ride your bike or go for a walk/run (social distancing rules are enforced), you can halt for a short rest, but you can not sit on a bench or in a park while doing that. Only necessary trips (store, work,...) and all companies have to let their employees work from home unless the job warrants it. Most stores are closed except bakeries, supermarkets, and now again DIY stores.

I had to explain to my 82 year old mother, why these rules are important. When going for a walk, she and my father pass by empty parks and empty benches. Why can't they stop and rest on a bench? Why can't kids stop in an empty park to play? Nobody's around, what's the harm? Last week my neighbour (single mother with a 2 year old boy) got a fine for playing with her child in an empty park. This kind of thinking stems from other people following the rules, so that some people might not. If everybody starts thinking like that, the park would not be empty, the benches would not be empty. If one person is allowed to, then all the others should to. The only reason the park/bench are not used, is because of the rules. The rules don't stipulate "...unless you're the only person around".

As for riding a bike, the argument has been made that if you crash your bike, you need to go to the hospital etc. But it doesn't have to be that extreme; what if you're 50 miles from home, you get your 2nd puncture and didn't bring a 2nd spare tire. Well, you could ask your wife/husband to come pick you up with the car. But you can't fit the bike in the car with the kids in the back. So you need to leave your kids at home. But your kids are pre-teens, so they need a babysitter...

Hm, well, nothing to do with Rohan Dennis, but the thing is not everyone has a smart trainer at home. There are lots of people confined to really, really tight spaces with people in their households they can't stand / don't get along with. I think cycling is not really important in this, but to not be able to go out, go jogging or walking, do some exercise, before you go nuts. I'm thinking about a lot of families, teenagers in precarious living conditions.
Which is exactly why Dennis' behavior is unacceptable and different from that of say, Gilbert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS