• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, well, nothing to do with Rohan Dennis, but the thing is not everyone has a smart trainer at home. There are lots of people confined to really, really tight spaces with people in their households they can't stand / don't get along with. I think cycling is not really important in this, but to not be able to go out, go jogging or walking, do some exercise, before you go nuts. I'm thinking about a lot of families, teenagers in precarious living conditions.

Yes I can perfectly imagine that lockdowns like in Spain can be incredibly tough for a lot of people both physically and mentally.

But Rohan Dennis is a pro athlete with well known mental issues riding for (at least what's supposed to be) one of the very best organised pro teams in the world, Team Ineos. I can't imagine Ineos not giving Dennis (and all their other riders) the very best support, both physically (smart trainers, training programs, ...) and mentally (sessions with mental coach, ...). DQS Team for example have already said that they work intensively with a mental coach who supports riders whenever they need to. I assume Ineos does the same, at least with riders like Dennis who already has a history of mental issues.

The fact that this still happened is in my opinion entirely on Dennis himself, unless there has been a complete lack of moral and mental support from Team Ineos which I can't imagine.

Spain has been doing more tests and changed the counting methodology a bit in recent days, which partly explains why the numbers haven't gone down even more. Other that that, people are still working, not only essential workers.

Not allowing people to go for a ride is not just about potential crashes. Even riding solo, those people will have to use shared areas in the buildings where they live, pass by other riders, touch stuff. Beyond that, just the presence of riders makes enforcing the rules pertaining to other activities harder, which is something that Spain could hardly afford when the outbreak was completely out of control. Things are better now, but probably not so much that another spike wouldn't be catastrophic.

It doesnt' really matter if you understand - or agree with - the rules. You just have to follow the rules of wherever you happen to reside. On the flip-side that also means that someone residing in a country with full lockdown can't complain about someone residing in a country that doesn't have full lockdown going for a ride.

Yes, of course.
I am just happy that my government thinks that being outside with distance is not a big problem and I think they are right. We have to watch how this effects the cases. The parks are really full here in Munic with mostly legal groups of 2-4 people. The police is controlling a lot and of course some people don't follow the rules but I think 90% do. Every country has to decide on the informations they have. In Germany every state can decide. We have even stroger rule in different federal states here.

Reactions: RedheadDane
Spain has been doing more tests and changed the counting methodology a bit in recent days, which partly explains why the numbers haven't gone down even more. Other that that, people are still working, not only essential workers.

Not allowing people to go for a ride is not just about potential crashes. Even riding solo, those people will have to use shared areas in the buildings where they live, pass by other riders, touch stuff. Beyond that, just the presence of riders makes enforcing the rules pertaining to other activities harder, which is something that Spain could hardly afford when the outbreak was completely out of control. Things are better now, but probably not so much that another spike wouldn't be catastrophic.
This has all been explained before but I remain unconvinced.
  1. Australia is doing far, far better than Spain with its lockdown (maybe best in the Western world?) but no limits on solo riding. April 20 we recorded the lowest new cases since long before the crisis started - just 7 new cases in a population of about 26million.
  2. The number of injured riders occupying hospital beds would be minuscule relative to total beds. Life can go on and the virus still be controlled. Australia is evidence - suggest you check the Worldometer site for the stats.
  3. The risk of spreading virus by riding solo is minuscule - negligible. Banning solo riding is the same as banning cars from the road because they kill people or else perhaps lowering all speed limits to 20 km/h so nobody dies on a road accident. You need to find a workable limit.
  4. Australia’s testing compares very favourably with Spain too.
  5. Australian states have closed the borders with neighbouring states. Not sure if Spain has stopped new cases arriving from outside its borders? Probably too late now?

Two reasons for the Spanish new case count

1. Think they are catching up and also trying to average out the results
  2. When you lockdown you incubate the virus among infected people in the same household.
Thanks for the reply but:-
Re #1: really I doubt that explains the case trend in Spain.
Re #2: There was no evidence of household incubation during Australia’s lockdown which is still in place.

Don't know about Spain, but one of Movistar's riders said that Andorra is very slightly loosening their restrictions (which are more or less the same as Spain's). The slightly loosening of restrictions will allow for people to take short walks in their own neighborhoods.

We are all pretty much observing all of the separation protocols in Seattle, plus mask recommendations in areas like grocery stores or where groups will pass each other like walking paths.
We can ride our bikes pretty much anywhere and it is gratifying to see so many kids doing this.
That said; it's reported that Florida reopened beaches in Jacksonville with the same separation requirements and had a stupid Spring Break situation almost immediately. We also have a President that is now encouraging demonstrations against the same protocols he posted the previous day so I'm not sure where different parts of our neighborhood will end up. The pressure to work, political b*itching, and close quarters are now creating Rohan moments everywhere.

When you see "patriots" carrying signs saying "Give me Covid or give me death!" you know it'll complicate things for everyone.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply but:-
Re #1: really I doubt that explains the case trend in Spain.
Re #2: There was no evidence of household incubation during Australia’s lockdown which is still in place.

Some countries have been fudging their figures to keep up morale - So it's better to say 700 deaths a day for a longer period then 1200 deaths a day for a shorter period. No point comparing Australia to countries like Italy and Spain where the virus is far more rampant. You have only to look at their lockdowns which are more severe than Australia and which will last over over 2 months, while some Australian states are lessening their restrictions after one month.

This has all been explained before but I remain unconvinced.
  1. Australia is doing far, far better than Spain with its lockdown (maybe best in the Western world?) but no limits on solo riding. April 20 we recorded the lowest new cases since long before the crisis started - just 7 new cases in a population of about 26million.
  2. The number of injured riders occupying hospital beds would be minuscule relative to total beds. Life can go on and the virus still be controlled. Australia is evidence - suggest you check the Worldometer site for the stats.
  3. The risk of spreading virus by riding solo is minuscule - negligible. Banning solo riding is the same as banning cars from the road because they kill people or else perhaps lowering all speed limits to 20 km/h so nobody dies on a road accident. You need to find a workable limit.
  4. Australia’s testing compares very favourably with Spain too.
  5. Australian states have closed the borders with neighbouring states. Not sure if Spain has stopped new cases arriving from outside its borders? Probably too late now?
What do you need to be convinced of? That Australia acted sooner relative to the size of the local outbreak, so it can afford to have less strict restrictions in place? Great, have a cookie.

Some countries have been fudging their figures to keep up morale - So it's better to say 700 deaths a day for a longer period then 1200 deaths a day for a shorter period. No point comparing Australia to countries like Italy and Spain where the virus is far more rampant. You have only to look at their lockdowns which are more severe than Australia and which will last over over 2 months, while some Australian states are lessening their restrictions after one month.
There are multiple reasons for Spain and Italy having the rampant virus. Australia has a massive foreign student population. The virus was also brought to the country from Chinese students returning from CNY before flights from China were stopped. Closing borders is effective as are lockdown restrictions. As I mention, Australian states have prevented border crossings to minimise the virus spread. There is little evidence Australia has fudged figures. In fact the biggest Australian state of NSW looks like it has withheld stats of virus recoveries. So the true stats might be even more impressive. You should also not under estimate the severity of Australia's lockdowns. Other than being able to ride solo it is very similar. I can be pulled over by police in my car if they think I am not out for essential activity like buying food or care for relatives.

The US didn't close things down early and still have looser restrictions than Spain and Italy. Well some states still have no restrictions while others have more restrictions. However, all states still allow solo bike riding and outdoor exercising and in most places parks are at least still partly open.

What restrictions in Spain are more severe? I can be pulled over and fined by police for being outside without good reason e.g. buy food. People are being fined for not adhering to social distancing. Beaches are closed. Etc etc.
Also, no Australian state has reduced restrictions yet. They are talking about it because our economy is in trouble. Three weeks longer is mentioned today in our media before restrictions might possibly be eased.

There are multiple reasons for Spain and Italy having the rampant virus. Australia has a massive foreign student population. The virus was also brought to the country from Chinese students returning from CNY before flights from China were stopped. Closing borders is effective as are lockdown restrictions. As I mention, Australian states have prevented border crossings to minimise the virus spread. There is little evidence Australia has fudged figures. In fact the biggest Australian state of NSW looks like it has withheld stats of virus recoveries. So the true stats might be even more impressive. You should also not under estimate the severity of Australia's lockdowns. Other than being able to ride solo it is very similar. I can be pulled over by police in my car if they think I am not out for essential activity like buying food or care for relatives.

Did I say that Australia fudged its figures ? I am giving an explanation for the figures in Spain and Italy - It's no wonder Dennis is going stir crazy with the severe restrictions in place in Spain.

Reactions: Cookster15
Unconvinced banning solo riding is a logical or effective response to the virus. More like a knee jerk reaction which has little real effect.
California limited radius of recreation to 5 miles of residence. The limitation was intended to reduce demand on EMTs responding to accidents. We have no such limitations in Washington State but some emphasis on common sense.
If you crash during a solo kamikaze mountain bike descent in the woods, do you make a noise?

Australia has one of the lowest population densities in the world and no land borders. This has been a huge, huge advantage, more than any government policy.

We are all pretty much observing all of the separation protocols in Seattle, plus mask recommendations in areas like grocery stores or where groups will pass each other like walking paths.
We can ride our bikes pretty much anywhere and it is gratifying to see so many kids doing this.
That said; it's reported that Florida reopened beaches in Jacksonville with the same separation requirements and had a stupid Spring Break situation almost immediately. We also have a President that is now encouraging demonstrations against the same protocols he posted the previous day so I'm not sure where different parts of our neighborhood will end up. The pressure to work, political b*itching, and close quarters are now creating Rohan moments everywhere.

When you see "patriots" carrying signs saying "Give me Covid or give me death!" you know it'll complicate things for everyone.
TBH right wing nut jobs and their "freedumb" was always going to play a factor in the efforts to contain CoVid. I wouldn't be surprised if there's some form of major disruption to authority soon, especially with the tangerine lunatic giving mixed messages.

Australia has one of the lowest population densities in the world and no land borders. This has been a huge, huge advantage, more than any government policy.
Our density isn't that low in our major cities - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane. Of course it’s super low when we look at the entire (mostly desert) continent.

Agree about land borders. But my point was our states have blocked interstate travel at their borders. I have no idea how easy it is to cross borders in Europe under the current situation?

Our density isn't that low in our major cities - Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane. Of course it’s super low when we look at the entire (mostly desert) continent.

Agree about land borders. But my point was our states have blocked interstate travel at their borders. I have no idea how easy it is to cross borders in Europe under the current situation?
I had to get tested on monday so that I can return to Austria from South Tyrol (had to pay 200€, but it can't be helped).
About roadbiking, how many incidents with cyclists ending up in intensive care happen without any cars being involved?
Downhill and stuff like that is ilone thing, but if anything riding your bike in the road would be a lot safer now because of the mininal traffic.

Reactions: Cookster15

Cities like New York and Beijing have a population density over 250 times(!) higher than Sydney or Melbourne.

Cities like New York and Beijing have a population density over 250 times(!) higher than Sydney or Melbourne.
Sure but that isn't the only reason. But you should give credit where due. Oz has done very very well as any casual glance of the new cases curve makes obvious. The Australian government just announced that elective surgeries can recommence after this weekend. Active cases at April 20 were 1,889 versus 4,841 on April 4 before lockdown restrictions started to bite. A 61% decline. You quote two cities with huge density. Beijing has stopped the virus spreading according to what we know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS