• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

The Rohan Dennis thread

Page 20 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps he can't string it together for three weeks as was once his aim but this last week has been a very, very impressive performance by Rohan Dennis. A monster performance actually. On his career, yes many asking where he could go after his ignominious departure from Merida but at Ineos he has delivered in spades already. Good for him. No signs of any tantrums either.

Reactions: gregrowlerson
Perhaps he can't string it together for three weeks as was once his aim but this last week has been a very, very impressive performance by Rohan Dennis. A monster performance actually. On his career, yes many asking where he could go after his ignominious departure from Merida but at Ineos he has delivered in spades already. Good for him. No signs of any tantrums either.

I’ve been surprised and had a few reservations about Dennis and his move to Ineos. But watching some of the Ineos videos he seems happy at the moment and was delighted for Tao at the end of the stage today.

It looks like he’s found a welcome home after plenty of problems previously.

Massive change of pace, brutal acceleration on the climbs is crucial, unless we go back to the formula of two 50 k-ish time trials and long gradients to administer the wattage for the win. It's one thing to set tempo, another to brake the competition.

Last edited:
I don't understand why so many people seem surprised at Dennis's performances the last two climbing stages. He's always had the potential to do rides like this; in the TdS last year, on a shortened stage, he kept up with Bernal who went on to win the Tour. And even on the Stelvio stage, he didn't ride the final climb. Wout Van Aert has a similar profile wrt to TT prowess and look what he did in the Tour.

Going forward, maybe aim at the classics? I dunno, he's probably not a GT winner a la Wiggins or even Dumoulin. After this Giro he should get a lifetime contract with Ineos, provided they dont' switch to Merida TT bikes...

• Haha
Reactions: Red Rick and topcat
Dennis was super, but we have to put this into context. He can climb, as last year's Tour de Suisse makes unequivocal. At the same time he is here in a support role, thus they (as in the team) got to save his energies for the moment most needed. It's entirely something else to be the leader from stage one. I think Dennis is well aware of this.

I don't understand why so many people seem surprised at Dennis's performances the last two climbing stages. He's always had the potential to do rides like this; in the TdS last year, on a shortened stage, he kept up with Bernal who went on to win the Tour. And even on the Stelvio stage, he didn't ride the final climb. Wout Van Aert has a similar profile wrt to TT prowess and look what he did in the Tour.

Going forward, maybe aim at the classics? I dunno, he's probably not a GT winner a la Wiggins or even Dumoulin. After this Giro he should get a lifetime contract with Ineos, provided they dont' switch to Merida TT bikes...
You are right. In hindsight it is now obvious why Ineos wanted to sign Dennis. Obviously the culture within the team is a better fit than where he departed from.

Of course he had the potential to ride decently in the mountains but putting in the mountain domestique ride of the decade on two separate occasions late in a Grand Tour is of course surprising.

What an absolute freak he has been this week!

And what would he do in the classics, that is not at all the type of racing that is suited to him?

Reactions: richwallone
They don’t have to, but they have a habit of/liking for getting that high altitude utility out of some high level TTers, like Kiriyenka, Kwiatkowski, Rogers Etc. The longer they can get out of Dennis before The climbers have to take over, the better value he is to the team.
Well he doesn't have to be Sepp Kuss, he just needs to keep things under control until the last 2-3 climbers take over

I think that's well within his capabilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS