• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 35 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Ah ok, was wondering why there were no posts here about it. Didn't think it would be discussed in main thread. Think it helps that it comes after the men's race.

We are some who have sneakily started to discuss races like this - where a women's race happens on the same day as the men's race - in the main threads. Guess it's easier to just use those threads, than having to dig up this thread.

But also, it being after the men's race (and the men's race ending in a bunch sprint) helps in that respect because conversation moves on to it, whereas when the women go first we get talk about what's going on in the early part of the men's race, plus the people saying to talk about the womens' race elsewhere, plus the predictions for the men's race, it's harder to maintain the flow of conversation about the race. However, also had there been a particularly dramatic or controversial finish to the men's race, trying to talk about the women's race as-it-happened at the same time as the fallout from the men's race is being discussed, that would have been similarly difficult.

I am a big fan of Demi Vollering and I'm glad she got a well-deserved contract at one of the top teams, however with van der Breggen's mooted post-Tokyo retirement obviously being revised and the addition of another elite puncheuse to the squad it does mean that that Boels unit looks even stronger for the Ardennes than it already was.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Thought that was a real tactical affair today and SD Worx are by far the strongest team. Whilst I like to see someone other than AVDB and AVV win all the time, I would have preferred to have seen Longo-Borghini rewarded today. FDJ did well also, bit is it just me or is CUT not as aggressive as in the past. She seems to play of other riders more now, also I know she is not a good sprinter, but she really needs to have a go at least, though I guess 4th or 5th is all the same to her. Nothing like practice for trying to improve though

In my humble opinion, I also think it might be better to have a separate thread for the big ladies races, the comments on the woman's race get lost among the ongoing men's thread. I don't post during races, but read threads back and it's a bit piecemeal when trying to read about the ladies race.

Reactions: Andy262
I hope SDworx are less dominant in other races, it kills a bit of the excitement for me.
I don’t know if we can conclude that CUL is less agressive this year after two races, but I agree her tendency to give up even before a sprint irks me a bit too as a fan, I want all the uci points for her she can get. Today, I think AVV might have surprised her though in the line. Also, Cavalli says
https://www.directvelo.com/actualite/86961/strade-bianche-f-la-fdj-avec-le-coeur
That CUL did not have the best legs yesterday, and she suffered a lot, so that was also a possible explanation for lack of aggression. Last year after the restart, it also tool CUL a few races before she really hit her form.

DSM have been invisible so far this year, weird that..

I haven’t really understood the hype about Spratt as leader this year, her results last year before the crash , AVV or no AVV, were not indicative of great things to come imo. She had a good run in 2019 and seems sympathetic though, so I wish her well.

Otherwise, as a Dane, I am super happy about Norsgaard’s start to the season and CUL has done as expected (please surprise me with a wwt win!!)

Last edited:
Impressive stuff continuing from Kristen Faulkner, she's another late starter (took up racing at 24) who is in her second year with Tibco, she won the Mont Lozère stage of the Tour de l'Ardêche last year, and has pretty solid results from LBL, Flèche and Ronde last year as well as Strade Bianche now. Nothing too standout as of yet but nevertheless it's only her second year in the international péloton but 2020 is a bit of an anomaly.

CN are doing their bit by allowing women's headlines dominate the top of their home page.

However, can woman's sports be allowed to grow organically and succeed or fail on their own merits rather than force it down our throats.

Allow the public to decide.

Last edited:
CN are doing their bit by allowing women's headlines dominate the to top their home page.

However, can woman's sports be allowed to grow organically and succeed or fail on their own merits rather than force it down out throats.

Allow the public to decide.
For many years it hasn't been given the chance to grow organically and has had to fight for any coverage at all.

If you want to say "let it sink or let it swim", it has to at least be given the chance to swim before you let it sink, and for many years it hasn't been.

Also, the women's cycling headlines are dominating the home page today because it's International Women's Day.

For many years it hasn't been given the chance to grow organically and has had to fight for any coverage at all.

If you want to say "let it sink or let it swim", it has to at least be given the chance to swim before you let it sink, and for many years it hasn't been.

Also, the women's cycling headlines are dominating the home page today because it's International Women's Day.

Thanks for replying Libertine. Your posts are legendary.

I wonder if the Mens Elite would allow such a poor stage. They had a similar one in the Womens Tour of Britain a couple of years ago. Around a sports track in Milton Keynes I think. Absolute dour.

I wonder if Barnes went for the lunge she would have taken that stage today? I only glimpsed at it. Great though from D'Hoore, great rider.

TRENDING THREADS