• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 37 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Good ride by Longo-Borghini and Trek. SD Worx unusually invisible. How come no AVDB or AVV, the Ladies calendar is not that extensive. Also don't think Niewadoma was too impressed with CUL in the sprint, seemed to close the gap on the barriers but not sure. Had words after the line.

Good ride by Longo-Borghini and Trek. SD Worx unusually invisible. How come no AVDB or AVV, the Ladies calendar is not that extensive. Also don't think Niewadoma was too impressed with CUL in the sprint, seemed to close the gap on the barriers but not sure. Had words after the line.
In 2019 CUL was not happy with Spratt in the sprint, but seems neither went outside the rules as no punishment.

Gigante lacked race craft and will learn from the experience - She chased Wiles attack just before Longo Borghini launched her massive attack - She stays in the peleton and she may have have been able to hold onto the secondary group - Reckon the team DS's would have been frustrated by the second group refusing to work with Vos.

Well, the problem was, Vos just insta-kills that chase because everybody knows they're racing for 2nd if they work and they're racing for 2nd if they don't work and tire Marianne out. If Vos had been less strong on the penultimate time up the Orino climb and had ridden back on then they may have felt they could drop her. As it was I think the group needed one more puncheuse who is a capable sprinter - Liane Lippert or Demi Vollering perhaps - and there might have been some cohesion, as Soraya Paladin is usually pretty reasonable in a sprint too, but while Kasia has improved to "not good", Cille and Mavi are two of the least sprint-adept riders in the péloton, and one of the only riders they may feel confident in a sprint against had decided to launch her sprint from 20km+.

Vos was strong but for people like Kasia, Cille and Mavi, there's little to be gained from cooperation with her once the gap was big enough that they weren't bringing Elisa back. Elisa attacked the base of the climb on the final lap smartly because that put the gap up and the confidence down in the chase group as they lost hope that they could bring her back. Kasia had launched the initial attack that Elisa had springboarded from, but hadn't been all that strong to sustain that attack (and by the time she tried to escape on the descent it was too late), Cille had been the strongest of them as a climber, but everybody knew that and sat on her, and she didn't want to tow them all the way up the climb either, so with the podium at stake and by then the third group on the road having fallen back into the péloton's clutches so they knew they wouldn't be caught from behind, they started playing games way too soon to ever stand a chance even if Elisa hit the wall.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Annemiek putting the feelers out on Kanarienberg at the moment, she is towing all the favourites in a line, Cille, Anna, Kasia and Elisa all lined up in her wheel, another SD rider (Vollering? Pieters?) and then Vos.

Now Audrey Cordon-Ragot off for a speculative solo for Trek, it's a bit easier for the opposition to recognise it's not 'the twin' when they're both in tricolor jerseys though ;)

Pieters marshalling the troops on the Taaienberg, Liane Lippert, Lizzie Deignan and Lotte Kopecky coming to the fore here. Quite a few tailed off in the chase group, including Lucinda Brand, Lisa Klein, Christine Majerus.

Last edited:
Annemiek putting the feelers out on Kanarienberg at the moment, she is towing all the favourites in a line, Cille, Anna, Kasia and Elisa all lined up in her wheel, another SD rider (Vollering? Pieters?) and then Vos.

Now Audrey Cordon-Ragot off for a speculative solo for Trek, it's a bit easier for the opposition to recognise it's not 'the twin' when they're both in tricolor jerseys though ;)

Pieters marshalling the troops on the Taaienberg, Liane Lippert, Lizzie Deignan and Lotte Kopecky coming to the fore here. Quite a few tailed off in the chase group, including Lucinda Brand, Lisa Klein, Christine Majerus.

What are you doing, posting about this in the "lesser known races" thread?

Brown made a tactical mistake in the final - Instead of attacking after cresting the second last climb, she needed to wait until 1 or 2 km before the final climb, then hope to steal 10 seconds before the final climb and then she may have held on to AVV.

Victory count for 2021: Consonnis 1 - Vivianis 1. Will the score change again on Wednesday?

Not a bad decision by Movistar to add Erić to the startlist last minute. Because my first name is Martin, I'll gladly marry Sara Martín Martín and take both her names (I know that isn't actually how it works).

As much as we talk about Trek’s fantastic tactics, I think it was a very dubious decision to call Borghini to the back of the chasing group to see if the third group with Deignan and Van Dijk could get to them. There never seemed to be a real possibility of that, imo. Or at least, it was far from as realistic as the chasers getting to Van Vleuten if they had established a real collaboration.

It doesn’t seem that CUL getting another fdj rider in form of Cavalli in the front groups with her has paid of just yet. Maybe I thought Cavalli would be a better sprinter than she has been this far in the season. At this rate, CUL might as well start “sprinting” herself;)

But then again, the real options for CUL victory were always gonna be races with uphill finishes or climbs pretty close to the finish, e.g. fleche and maybe strade in the future. She always does well in the Binda sprint as well even though it only a few %. I think I read that La Course this year will finish on Mur de Bretagne, so that might be an option too. It doesn’t seem like she has hit 100% yet, so as a fan, I hope the best has yet to come this season.