• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 55 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Does she even stay with them?
I don't know, maybe the others declined to come, but I think there are others I'd chose over her, even it it was supposed to be one from BikeExchange. Of course in the end it doesn't matter much, but all in all...

Apparently she is happy with the team. When you consider that Bike Exchange is allegedly bringing in a group of young riders, she'd have a better chance of being selected for the TDF, as opposed to the new UAE team. Let's wait and see.

So, decent route for the women. It still looks silly that they are riding 8 days, while the men have three weeks, and their stages are a lot shorter in general, but all in all it's not bad, there are some mountains, some gravel and a longer than usual stage.
What I did find a bit disturbing about the presentation was that Urska Zigart was among the invited - she's neither French nor an extraordinary rider (yet?), in combination with the fact that Marion Rousse is the head for the women's Tour.
Surely as double defending champion Tadej got a +1?

Apparently she is happy with the team. When you consider that Bike Exchange is allegedly bringing in a group of young riders, she'd have a better chance of being selected for the TDF, as opposed to the new UAE team. Let's wait and see.

No one knows who's going to ride for the UAE team yet, but I can't really see Zigart staying with BEX, a least not for longer than 2022 if she extends her contract.

Also Zigart deserved to be there more than the riders from the smaller French teams, and that includes Pilote Fortin as well. Also when Bjerg was invited, why wasn't Emma Norsgaard present?
I guess Voss and Van Vleuten would have been there, too, if they had been able to make it.
Muzic looked to still be suffering a bit from her recent crash when she walked across the stage.

Pic of the day
FBq0SH6XMAkMytX

Reactions: Sciatic
No one knows who's going to ride for the UAE team yet, but I can't really see Zigart staying with BEX, a least not for longer than 2022 if she extends her contract.

Also Zigart deserved to be there more than the riders from the smaller French teams, and that includes Pilote Fortin as well. Also when Bjerg was invited, why wasn't Emma Norsgaard present?
I guess Voss and Van Vleuten would have been there, too, if they had been able to make it.
Muzic looked to still be suffering a bit from her recent crash when she walked across the stage.

Pic of the day
FBq0SH6XMAkMytX

I just think that there was a pattern how the riders were chosen, and Zigart didn't fit in there very well, so either I'm underestimating her as a rider, or it was a bit of an hazard, or the fact that she's Pogacar's partner played a role, and I wouldn't like that, especially since I, as a complete outsider I have to admit, have a feeling that Rousse's career has certainly not suffered from being with first Gallopin, now Alaphilippe. Maybe I'm the one being sexist here, that could well be.

I just think that there was a pattern how the riders were chosen, and Zigart didn't fit in there very well, so either I'm underestimating her as a rider, or it was a bit of an hazard, or the fact that she's Pogacar's partner played a role, and I wouldn't like that, especially since I, as a complete outsider I have to admit, have a feeling that Rousse's career has certainly not suffered from being with first Gallopin, now Alaphilippe. Maybe I'm the one being sexist here, that could well be.

If it hadn't been for their own and their teams connection to Zwift, Ella Harris and Neve Bradbury shouldn't have been there.
And Pilote Fortin, who technically isn't riding for any team currently, didn't really make sense either.
Of course we don't who they actually invited. All the SD Worx riders apart from Moolman-Pasio and Shackley, who was doing the British NC, were riding at a team/sponsor event in Limburg yesterday.

Reactions: yaco
Sofia Bertizzolo took her first pro win in La Classique Morbihan today. The recent winner of the elimination race at European track championships, Valentine Fortin, won the sprint for second over Consonni in the group behind.
The losing riders will have a chance of revenge in the GP de Plumelec-Morbihan tomorrow.

I think she was invited as a +1 and the organisation put her right behind Tadej as it just looks good for the pictures and such. Definetely with the recent engagement and all.

I met Urska at the worlds and she is completely humble and grounded and determined to do her thing. Looking at the pictures, she clearly did not feel all that comfortable being put in that spot.

She is not looking to use Tadej for fame, she prefers to remain as private as possible, just doing a few obligatory interviews.

I think she was invited as a +1 and the organisation put her right behind Tadej as it just looks good for the pictures and such. Definetely with the recent engagement and all.

I met Urska at the worlds and she is completely humble and grounded and determined to do her thing. Looking at the pictures, she clearly did not feel all that comfortable being put in that spot.

She is not looking to use Tadej for fame, she prefers to remain as private as possible, just doing a few obligatory interviews.

I didn't want to put any blame on her and I don't see her as fame-seeking or anything at all; she seems nice, has been with Tadej for ages the way I understand it, and indeed she looked far from comfortable, but if she was indeed a +1 and not simply as a racer herself I would put some blame on the organizers since I think women's cycling deserves better.

Kiesenhofer has found some form again and managed to beat Mieke Kröger with a half a second, before Reusser crossed the line 52 seconds faster to take the win in Chrono des Nations, which was also her last race for Alé BTC Ljubljana.

TRENDING THREADS