• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Lesser Known Road Racing for Women Thread

Page 58 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Looks like good(ish) news.

Amy Pieters transported to the Netherlands (teamsdworx.com)

She's breathing independently, and the sedation is being phased out.

its goodish news shes breathing independently, it means she wont be on a ventilator anymore which makes it less likely she could pick up chest infections.

but I think its less goodish news that the medication that was keeping her in an artificial coma, though doctors dont like calling it artificial, has been stopped and its not stuff that takes days to wean off, it literally does just stop, but her status is completely unchanged so far, that means she is still in a coma, and the longer that stays the same, the worse the outcomes get.

its goodish news shes breathing independently, it means she wont be on a ventilator anymore which makes it less likely she could pick up chest infections.

but I think its less goodish news that the medication that was keeping her in an artificial coma, though doctors dont like calling it artificial, has been stopped and its not stuff that takes days to wean off, it literally does just stop, but her status is completely unchanged so far, that means she is still in a coma, and the longer that stays the same, the worse the outcomes get.

Well, I figured that since the team - whom I assume have the information from her doctors, who'd know what they're doing - are saying that it's being phased out, then it's being phased out, and we shouldn't expect her to wake up just like that.
Or, there has been more change to her status than we've been informed of, because we shouldn't expect to get every little piece of info either.

Well, I figured that since the team - whom I assume have the information from her doctors, who'd know what they're doing - are saying that it's being phased out, then it's being phased out, and we shouldn't expect her to wake up just like that.
Or, there has been more change to her status than we've been informed of, because we shouldn't expect to get every little piece of info either.
from my limited knowledge you just don't rush one from medically induced coma... you're always phasing one out... especially if the injury was brain related. the ongoing transportation from Spain to NED can also be playing a role in the process. time... as always... will tell, but one can always hope for the best.

Last edited:
from my limited knowledge you just don't rush one from medically induced coma... you're always phasing one out... especially if the injury was brain related. the ongoing transportation from Spain to NED can also be playing a role in the process. time... as always... will tell, but one can always hope for the best.

well Im by no means medically qualified at all or would ever claim to be, so feel free to take what I say with a pinch of salt, but I was struck by the parallels in not just the details that have been made public so far but also the press statements in this situation with Amy, to that of Michael Schumachers head injury.

and Dr Gary Hartstein who as an anaesthetist worked alongside at the time one of the worlds leading neurosurgeons as an F1 doctor, and subsequently became the F1 medical delegate for a while (the role now taken by Dr Ian Roberts most publically remembered for pulling Romain Grosjean from a burning car). Gary wrote extensively at the time almost it feels as a catharthis because he knew Michael Schumacher personally as a person as well as a driver, and knew from his medical background & experience to piece the gaps together to try and explain it & what was happening to the fans.

heres what he wrote about the process of phasing out a medical coma

and heres the collection of all his posts on the topic, you have to work from the bottom upwards.

now one of the things Gary stressed in his blogging at the time, is every case is different, head injuries almost by their nature dont all go the same way or have the same outcomes, we cant say for definite any of what he wrote applies to Amys situation, not that we know it applied to Michaels either, but its worth a read IMO nonetheless.

JV also made a weird video of her being congratulated by Sepp Kuss.

You also seem to have missed that Sunweb is called DSM now :sweatsmile:

Have been sleeping through the pandemic.

I did see the article on JV, didn't read it and probably brushed over the name Labecki in the intro as I didn't recognise it. Ironically I am now struggling to remember Lizzie Deignan's maiden name. Memory ain't what it used to be.

Only if it actually visits more than Norway, which we still don't know for certain that it will. A short detour into Sweden won't be enough for a queen to be crowned.

Okay, maybe not this year, but a future edition. Then have the final in Kalmar. If I'm not mistaken, the plan is to eventually visit all three Scandinivan countries.
Could be interesting - from a historical PoV - to make a route based on the life of Margrethe I, and I know she was never actually queen, other than in Norway.
Start in Søborg, have a stage around Akershus, and finish in Kalmar.

Reactions: Samu Cuenca
Okay, maybe not this year, but a future edition. Then have the final in Kalmar. If I'm not mistaken, the plan is to eventually visit all three Scandinivan countries.
Could be interesting - from a historical PoV - to make a route based on the life of Margrethe I, and I know she was never actually queen, other than in Norway.
Start in Søborg, have a stage around Akershus, and finish in Kalmar.

Yes, that would be interesting.

Hopefully we'll soon get an update on the 2022 route.

The Santos Festival of Cycling is underway with Emily Watts beating national criterium champion Ruby Roseman-Gannon and RR champion Nicole Frain in the final sprint on stage 1. Roseman-Gannon did pick up enough bonus seconds on the stage to take the lead though.

View: https://twitter.com/tourdownunder/status/1485088174947041280

FJwVd6wakAI8gAG

It's apparently possible to watch the race live on the race website, but I simply can't stay up that late anymore.

The Santos Festival of Cycling is underway with Emily Watts beating national criterium champion Ruby Roseman-Gannon and RR champion Nicole Frain in the final sprint on stage 1. Roseman-Gannon did pick up enough bonus seconds on the stage to take the lead though.

View: https://twitter.com/tourdownunder/status/1485088174947041280

FJwVd6wakAI8gAG

It's apparently possible to watch the race live on the race website, but I simply can't stay up that late anymore.
Great to see Ruth Corset still mixing it up at 44yo. Her daughter is also racing, in what I'm pretty sure is a first

TRENDING THREADS