• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Tirreno - Adriatico 2021, March 10 - March 16

tirreno-adriatico-3320.png
Eh4ctLeXgAAqBse-scaled-e1600093498682-728x350.jpeg

Tirreno-Adriatico, the Race of the Two Seas, brings the riders form the west to the east of Italy. Flat stages, hilly stages, a mountain stage and a time trial... something for every rider.
Who will follow up Simon Yates as the winner of this beautiful one week stagerace?

The startlist is absolutely packed with all type of riders.
GC: Pogacar, Bernal, S. Yates, Quintana, Fuglsang, Pinot, Landa, Majka, Nibali, Almeida, Bardet, Alaphilippe, Higuita, van Aert(?), Thomas, Konrad, Woods,...
Sprinters: Ewan, Gaviria, Sagan, van Aert, Merlier, van der Poel, Ballerini, Viviani, Pasqualon, Bonifazio,...
TT: Ganna, van Aert, Thomas, Küng, Pogacar, Almeida,...
...and lots of other classic riders

fca48adad9c90403c7d33694c3954f58.png

82d31550ee51619e118683f5cd426a44.png

5b7e85f2dab4a53bf31599e8d28015d4.png

What you've all been waiting for (I decided to not open a new thread, though):

Stage 1: Three early, tough climbs, then flat, no wind, normally sprint but who knows if the Strade guys drill it early? I do and say sprint.
Stage 2: Uphill finish but on a very gentle slope, no wind, puncheur finale (5 percent), Sagan to show the world that the new crop is better than him, me going to cry :(
Stage 3: A little bit hilly, a little bit flat, possible rain, flat sprint after a little bit of uphill, handle-able for most sprinters.
Stage 4: Tough MTF after a weak-ass HC climb, non-rain, non-wind, non-sprint, Wout for top 15, keeping alive his GC.
Stage 5: 14 hills in the final half, ridiculously tough stage, think Recanati-stage from 2019 but harder, if Strade guys want to play early, it could be the best stage all year.
Stage 6: Not typically Tirreno flat but flat enough for a sprint, one would think, but maybe some sprinters will be dropped.
Stage 7: We all know who's Ganna win here.

What you've all been waiting for (I decided to not open a new thread, though):

Stage 1: Three early, tough climbs, then flat, no wind, normally sprint but who knows if the Strade guys drill it early? I do and say sprint.
Stage 2: Uphill finish but on a very gentle slope, no wind, puncheur finale (5 percent), Sagan to show the world that the new crop is better than him, me going to cry :(
Stage 3: A little bit hilly, a little bit flat, possible rain, flat sprint after a little bit of uphill, handle-able for most sprinters.
Stage 4: Tough MTF after a weak-ass HC climb, non-rain, non-wind, non-sprint, Wout for top 15, keeping alive his GC.
Stage 5: 14 hills in the final half, ridiculously tough stage, think Recanati-stage from 2019 but harder, if Strade guys want to play early, it could be the best stage all year.
Stage 6: Not typically Tirreno flat but flat enough for a sprint, one would think, but maybe some sprinters will be dropped.
Stage 7: We all know who's Ganna win here.

You do realise you're now legally required to do that for every race, right?

good mix of flat sprints, hilly sprints and a mt stage and a short tt.

Be interesting to see if Van Aert can ride a GC. I think it will be hard since he's not completely in great shape yet.
I think his shape is pretty good. He dropped Pogacar, who dominated the UAE tour, in the final km's of Strade. He wasn't able to follow the 3 best because he didn't have that acceleration yet, but it was his first race. I think a top 10 is possible. ITT is only 10k, but maybe he can snatch some boni seconds on top of that.

Reactions: johnymax

TRENDING THREADS