• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Top 10 male riders of the 21st century.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Only results counts from riders who raced in the 21st century, so the last 15 years. So for example not the tour victory of Ullrich and obviously no one who hasn't riden any race in the 21st century like Merckx.

Feel free to keep account of clinic or not. That's entirely up to you.

Anyway this is my list.

1.Contador
2.Cancellara
3.Armstrong
4.Boonen
5.Bettini
6.Valverde
7.Basso
8.Simoni
9.Nibali
10.Ullrich, Gilbert or Rebbelin. I guess i'll take Gilbert.

Feel free to put any reason behind your top 10 if you feel like it.

At first i had Valverde above Bettini but realised that's definitely a mistake. If valverde had won more races, he could have honestly made a chance to be nr.1 imo

The impact of Vos. I think that before her, this would have simply been titled 'Top 10 riders of the 21st century'.

In all seriousness, though:

1. Alberto Contador
2. Lance Armstrong
3. Paolo Bettini
4. Fabian Cancellara
5. Tom Boonen
6. Alejandro Valverde
7. Erik Zabel
8. Vincenzo Nibali
9. Philippe Gilbert
10. Mark Cavendish/Oscar Freire

1. Armstrong
2. Contador
3. Cancellara
4. Boonen
5. Gilbert
6. Heras
7. Nibali
8. Di Luca
9. Petacchi
10. Bettini

Hard to go with 10. But I took Heras over Simoni. Di Luca over Valverde and Pettachi over Cav.

But I guess I'm unfair to Basso in this case. And Valverde was around in Spain from 2003 onwards. Although Di Luca perhaps has more impressive big wins.

Rebellin would be in surely, if it wasn't for Gilbert topping him with his Ardennes Grand Slam.

I didn't even consider Vino. Even my man chicken should be rated higher based on 2005/2007.

Nibali only because of his palmares. No way he's a better rider than Ullrich, Simoni, Basso, etc. But he got his archivements. So he's in.

This is really tough, especially when only considering riders' results from 2000 and later. These are in no order and I'm not considering clinic issues since frankly, no one really knows who's done what.

These 7 for sure:

Contador
Valverde
Boonen
Cancellara
Armstrong
Freire
Bettini

Last 3 were really hard but I guess I'll go with:

Evans
Cunego
Cavendish

I could probably be talked into switching someone from the above group with someone below.

Rebellin
Zabel
Di Luca
Petacchi
Vino
Gilbert
Nibali

jaylew said:
This is really tough, especially when only considering riders' results from 2000 and later. These are in no order and I'm not considering clinic issues since frankly, no one really knows who's done what.

These 7 for sure:

Contador
Valverde
Boonen
Cancellara
Armstrong
Freire
Bettini

Last 3 were really hard but I guess I'll go with:

Evans
Cunego
Cavendish

I could probably be talked into switching someone from the above group with someone below.

Rebellin
Zabel
Di Luca
Petacchi
Vino
Gilbert
Nibali

I forgot about Freire...I would have probably put him in my top 10.

jaylew said:
Why would I mean that? 2000 and later is what I considered. Yeah, I know there was no year 0. I'm not going to get into a discussion about the Millenium, the Gregorian calendar, and the details around all that.
Because that is the time frame mentioned in the OP. It's not a matter of opinion, it's a matter of fact. 21st century is from January 1st 2001 until December 31st 2100. If he had said the current century, then it'd be a matter of interpretation, but there is no doubt about the 21st century.

This is a pedantic debate I'm not going to get into with you. I'm sure Libertine would love it. When you say 21st century most people consider the years 2000-2099. Believe me, I am well aware of every argument you're going to make but for the purposes of a silly discussion like this I stand by my original decision to consider the years 2000 and later.

jaylew said:
This is a pedantic debate I'm not going to get into with you. I'm sure Libertine would love it. When you say 21st century most people consider the years 2000-2099. Believe me, I am well aware of every argument you're going to make but for the purposes of a silly discussion like this I stand by my original decision to consider the years 2000 and later.
Sorry, but being wilfully ignorant doesn't change what is the factual truth. You may not like it. Too bad for you. Fact is that the 21st century started in 2001.

If you want you can discuss in another thread the best riders from 2000 onwards. However the discussion in this thread is about results from 2001 onwards. Deal with it.

Netserk said:
Sorry, but being wilfully ignorant doesn't change what is the factual truth. You may not like it. Too bad for you. Fact is that the 21st century started in 2001.

If you want you can discuss in another thread the best riders from 2000 onwards. However the discussion in this thread is about results from 2001 onwards. Deal with it.

Oh my god Netserk :eek: does that 1 year matter? Holy crap

When I say 21st century I mean every year after 1999. 2000 to me is the start of the new century. Apparently it's the same for others. Deal with it.

LaFlorecita said:
Oh my god Netserk :eek: does that 1 year matter? Holy crap

When I say 21st century I mean every year after 1999. 2000 to me is the start of the new century. Apparently it's the same for others. Deal with it.
Sorry but many people being ignorant doesn't change fact.

What's next? More people than not believe in God. Does that mean that he exists? :rolleyes:

TRENDING THREADS